R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #976
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

pre-load clips are mostly used to adjust ride height, most of the other stuff you probally dont really need to worry about, set them up to where Gene has them, because they are more fine adjustments you can do later, but the biggest way to affect handling are your shock and diff fluids,

for the brakes, you pretty much answered your own question, if you bias them more to the back, you wont push hardcore on braking,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #977
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Never set your brakes so they lock up in the front.. .. I do run a liitle rear bias..
I also run a longer amount of tubing on the front break than the rear.. allowing the front brake to come on soft ( gives great control of your steering during soft braking........ then the rears will lock quickly when full brake is jabbed if I want to induce a slide...

As far as all the suspension setting help you just asked it might take awhile to sort through and get a real answer... and even then while the theory of the change is the same the effect from one car to another can be different..

as a general the more you lay down the shock the faster that particular shock will transfer its wieght to the Tire..this would also be true for spring and oil selection.. thicker oil or stiffer spring will transfer wieght faster as well..... as a general rule softer generally leads to what would feel like more traction.. but is really a slower reaction...
Better explanations of tuning.. are here. then maybe if you have specific questions we can try to help... Dont be afraid to play with role center changes as well.. especially after you have found a baseline setup... ..
http://users.pandora.be/elvo/1/1_content.html
Hope some of this helps..

Last edited by rregl0612; 12-04-2007 at 01:18 PM.
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #978
Tech Initiate

What is the tubing you are talking about on the brakes? Mine doesn't have tube, just a spring behind the brake lever.

I'll try changing the setup to Genes. You guys talk about a "blue groove" track. I understand this to be a track where there is rubber laid down offering more grip? Our tracks here aren't raced more than one meet a month and are very short and technical.

I think also part of my trouble is full on or full brake. I was playing more last night and found that more subtle throttle/brake adjustments are better for control. DUH you might say. The same that is true in a real car is true in these truggies it seems.

One last thing, I noticed steering away from the corner and then into it gives better control and seemingly better grip. Is this a method you guys use?

Jase
Thorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #979
Tech Fanatic

I replace the springs with silicone fuel tubing... .. just always have....

Not sure about intentionally steering away from the corner.. but setting up the corner is a must.. there are exceptions but usually start outside and try to cut to the inside middle then push the car to the outside of the end of the turn as much as possible setting up for the next obstacle..
there is always a drive line when speed is involved the fastest way is not always the line you thought it would be..
This stuff comes with time.. and practice.. watching. F1 racing will help show how to attack some corners.. and watching motocross will help with some as well.. although they very different.. cues can be taken from each type of racing..

magazines have topics on driving lines frequently as well.. a few times a year it seems..
Good luck and look out for the first corner....
Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #980
Tech Fanatic

one more thing on brakes.. and this will relate to your servo lasting longer... If your radio has end point adjustments... ( travel adjustments).. Make sure these are set so it does not lock up brakes.. you want the front to almost lock up and the rear to be linear unless you want to run bias to the rear.. then you want the rear to just slighty lock up at full travel.. .. if no adjustments.. your sol.. : )
Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #981
Tech Initiate

The feint method is used in rally driving. They used to to shift weight to obtain the best grip. They turn the car further than the able of the corner, and the steer the other direction to keep the car online. Drifters use the same method, but its slightly different because they force a loss of traction, where rally cars (ie offroad RC) have a loss of traction simply because of the road surface.

At any rate, rally cars cannot go around a corner quickly if the try and steer around it like a grip car. So they use the feint to get around quicker.

I'll give the fuel tube thing a go. I know that my EPA is set so the wheels will lock, but clearly I've set that up wrong. I have to adjust the brake levers too because they seem to be binding up.

All a learning process. Thanks for all the advice. It's great!

Jase
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #982
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

if you can do that rally method consitently fast, then do it, its all about finding a driving style and line that work for you, all the pro's have gotten where they are with hours and hours of practice,

that being said I dont think I've ever seen a really fast guy at a track use a "drift" method, because it would be very hard to be consistent, and generally you can always set a RC car to handle like its on pavement,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #983
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i have, ryan lutz
Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #984
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #985
Tech Regular

Driving hard like that works great for qualifying, but rarely gets you anywhere in a 45-60min main event.

Ryan Lutz does drive kinda like that but he drive much more controlled in main events. You have to.
Andrew Smolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #986
Tech Initiate

I'm looking at upgrading to the Al spindle and spindle carriers, but there are 2 different versions, the 19 degree and the 22 degree. What do the angles change. Whats the angle on the standard carriers?

Which should I be buying?

Jase
Old 12-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #987
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

if you get the alu carriers you gonna wanna get 19 the plastic ones are 20
Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #988
Tech Fanatic

I am pretty sure the 19* carreir will give you more on power steering... while the 22* will give less on power and more off power steering.. the 22 will also feel better on a really blown out bumpy track..

I run the 22* hubs .. but since i have been running the Cross pin diffs I have been thinking of going back to the 19* hubs..
Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #989
Tech Master

22' = more on power steering
19' = more off power speed steering
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #990
Tech Master

Team Machine's R/C Hobbies and CEN Racing wins again!!!

Congradulations - Justin Cranford

Justin won the 1/8 Truck Championship by winning the Emerald Coast Points series with his CEN Matrix Arena TR FRE.

He also finished 3rd in the buggy class with his CEN Matrix C1 Pro FRE.

http://www.rcpics.net/img/87141
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote