R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #961
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
If Maxx is for the T-Maxx and Savage, are the proline Maxx 1/2" offset rims the best ones to get? Or is there another set of 1/2" offset that will be better.
I'm not sure what rims you mean by maxx, but I will post links,

if youre using the 23mm hexes, any of these will work, if you use 1/2 offset you dont need to worry about clearing the links, if you use zero offset you can run another brands rod end, or you can narrow the rims,
http://www.pro-lineracing.com/produc...wproduct&id=83

if you are using 17mm hex, these are what your looking for with the same things for offset, http://www.pro-lineracing.com/produc...wproduct&id=89

if you stick with any of the MTR tires, any of them will fit right on those wheels, and you wont have any problems,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #962
Tech Initiate

Bob,

These are the wheels I was referring to:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3264

Someone posted a reply in this thread about using these wheels. I just have a standard Matrix TR FRE, with a couple hop ups. I would prefer not to have to go changing anything. I just want tires and wheels that are going to match, and that aren't going to limit my steering because of the wrong offset or because they are too wide.

Thanks again for all the help, its really usefull and good to know there are people here to help. Just a side note, I found one guide, but does anyone have a good guide with picture on how to actually glue the tires to the wheels?

Jase
Thorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #963
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thorin- the wheels you are referring to (23mm 1/2 off set) are good thats what many Matrix racers race with and as for the tire i would get bow-ties or crimefighters as appose to hole shots cause they will last longer

gluing pro-line tires on pro-line rims is very simple (you might want to use panther or losi tire bands to make it even easier
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_26_148

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=39&page=1

if you have any questions on the gluing just post it we will be happy to help ya
Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #964
Tech Initiate

Robert,

This website:

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=15&page=3

Mentions banding the tires, and I've had another person suggest that its a good idea.

Is banding the tires with tape advisable? If so, how many rotations of tape should I used. The other thing I have read, on RC411 as well, is to punch a couple small holes in the tires. I do recall seeing small holes in the rims, and putting holes in the tires does make sense; can I get some opinions on that?

Regards,
Jase
Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #965
Tech Initiate

This is just a side question, and you'll have to forgive me for asking. What do you clean your truggies down with? Can I ask if people are going to mention brands or general items, that you tell me whats in them, and/or what they were designed for. I live in Australia and won't get the brands that you guys have, and we have different names for stuff.

Jase
Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 AM   #966
Tech Initiate

Well I managed to total the pullstart on my OS 30VG. It seems the OS 30VG crank case has 3 variants, and the one that I have will only accept the pull start.

I was told that I had to be fairly choosy when picking a starter box, because the truggys, and especially a 30 engine would require a fair bit of grunt. I saw the pics of Roberts and it looks like a dynamite ready-start universal box. Will that be enough to kick over a .30 engine? Should I be using a 7.2v stick pack or a 12v gel cell?

Thanks again for the help.

Jase
Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #967
Tech Master

thorin- the band is just to help the glue settle and the tire and wheel close together for a nice clean finish and the hole on the tire

i clean my truggy with simple green,wd-40 and an air hose but most the time i strip it all the way down to change a few thing for the next race but simple green and an air hose will clean it whether its in pieces or ready to hit the track

i use an ofna starter box for buggy (the blue one) and its great i love and it will be able to crank your engine over
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12542
and the one i use for truggy (dynomite) will crank it over as well
i used to use the universal box now i use another one from dynomite
i couldnt find a link to it though but if you get the ofna one you will be happy with it
Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #968
Tech Master

The MT and MTR fit maxx wheels only.
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #969
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Hull View Post
thorin- the band is just to help the glue settle and the tire and wheel close together for a nice clean finish and the hole on the tire

i clean my truggy with simple green,wd-40 and an air hose but most the time i strip it all the way down to change a few thing for the next race but simple green and an air hose will clean it whether its in pieces or ready to hit the track

i use an ofna starter box for buggy (the blue one) and its great i love and it will be able to crank your engine over
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12542
and the one i use for truggy (dynomite) will crank it over as well
i used to use the universal box now i use another one from dynomite
i couldnt find a link to it though but if you get the ofna one you will be happy with it
Sorry Robert, I didn't explain very well. The taping that I am talking about goes on the INSIDE of the tire before it gets glued to the rim. Its kinda like the RC version of steel belted radial tires I guess. It strengthens the tire I am told.

Jase
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #970
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

if you get MTR tires you dont need to worry about taping the inside of the tire, people were doing that to help prevent balooning the tires on power, but the MTR tires have ribbing inside them already to stop this,

the small holes in the tires are to vent them, otherwsie air would be trapped inside them and they would be really hard, the idea behind punching holes in the tire is when the wheels are turning, the centrifugal force throws any sand, dirt or water out of the inside of the tire, if you just have holes in the rim, that stuff can't really get out as easy, so you end up destroying the foam faster, I usually use the decals that come in the packs of rims and tires, and cover the holes in the rims, and then punch 3 or 4 small holes in the tire, I think proline recomends something similar if you email them and ask,

you can use a small leather punch to make the holes, or even an exacto knife if you were really careful would probally do an ok job, you can get leather punch off ebay pretty cheap thgouh,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #971
Tech Master

dont worry about taping tires and the hole is also to let water and debri out
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #972
Tech Apprentice

Default Cen Re-Marix?

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=3042 ...

Posted on Neobuggy:

Following team CEN USA's fantastic finishes at this year's worlds warmup held at the Farm 2, Carlotte USA, despite difficult conditions, Andy Smolnik and Gene Hickerson made the final with heavily modded CEN Matrixs (matrices?!) We caught up with CEN and we can exclusively reveal some details about the new CEN Re-Matrix due for Spring/Summer 2008 release in time for the Worlds in September.

Some of the key new features include -
- Lighter drivetrain
- Material changes? (areas lightened and toughened)
- One piece radio tray
- Emphasis of easy of maintenance and working on the car
- No E-clips!
- New Lighteweight parts, including stiffeners
- New body design
Lots more stuff!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #973
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSpawn View Post
http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=3042 ...

Posted on Neobuggy:

Following team CEN USA's fantastic finishes at this year's worlds warmup held at the Farm 2, Carlotte USA, despite difficult conditions, Andy Smolnik and Gene Hickerson made the final with heavily modded CEN Matrixs (matrices?!) We caught up with CEN and we can exclusively reveal some details about the new CEN Re-Matrix due for Spring/Summer 2008 release in time for the Worlds in September.

Some of the key new features include -
- Lighter drivetrain
- Material changes? (areas lightened and toughened)
- One piece radio tray
- Emphasis of easy of maintenance and working on the car
- No E-clips!
- New Lighteweight parts, including stiffeners
- New body design
Lots more stuff!
Saw this before but really cannot wait for Gene 'The Machine' do the full report. I am sure more than the specs as listed above.
I hope it will be sooner.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #974
Tech Initiate

Default Suspension setup

Guys,

I've been learning a lot just with playing with my Matrix TR. I have some questions relating to the suspension though. I currently have the front on the bottom inner, and the top outer, and the rear on the bottom inner and top outer. I am having troubles with steering on power.

I am hoping someone can answer these question:

What does increasing/decreasing the preload do (the little spacers that we put just above the springs or the screw things for people with the coilover style springs)

What effect does if have when you increase the angle of the shocks, ie: the outside hole on the bottom and the inside lower hole on the top. And I guess whats the effect when you decrease the angle.

What changes in steering/traction happen when you compress the shocks further, ie: inner most hole on the bottom and bottom inner hole on the top.

I have ordered a 2T/3S rear suspension plate, how much of a change is this in angle from the stock plastic/carbon parts. How will this affect the on power steering.

What other changes can be made to increase on power steering. I was noticing this afternoon that if i power off when I steer that I have HEAPS of steering, but on power just not all that much.

When I am trying to corner, I've noticed that I am braking when I try and turn I just have no steering. I know thats because the front wheels are locked up because of the brakes. Is there any benefit in biasing the brakes towards to rear to increase brake steering?

I know there is lots of questions here, and they are probably all fairly simple, but I just don't know the answer, so hopefully you friendly folk can set me straight.

Regards,
Jase
Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #975
Tech Master

its kinda hard to say without looking at your truck
and try and fix the front brakes not to skid and mabey you dont have good enough power (for the servos)