R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 AM   #676
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

try mounting your shocks in one of the lower positions on the shock tower, also make sure that you have your shock ends screwed in all of the way. I race my truck just about every other weekend, don't have this issue. I also run with lockmouth, he doesn't have this problem either.

jlo
jlo8864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #677
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I will try to drop my shocks to the lower holes.
Are you using the long shock ends or short on the front end?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #678
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I spoke with support at CEN after having this same problem. They said that the towers are designed for both the truggy and buggy. The truggy is designed to be used with ONLY the top holes on the tower. He said that as long as you have the shock mounted on the top row on the tower and on the inside hole of the arm you should have no issues. He said that you SHOULD use long ends on the rear and short upfront. This seemed opposite of what should be thinking logically. But I et my tr up this way and beat the snot out of it this Sunday and never once had an issue. So it looks like he may have been right. Before I had them on the lower row and would have the front stick like above and had the backs just pop all the way out. Twice breaking off the diff outdrive cup. Sound wrong to me but it did work so far. Could someone else give it a try and see if they get a different result. He seemed to know about the issue and was ready with an answer. They must of had a truck set up there becuase he went a looked it over to be sure he was giving me the right info.
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #679
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i am thinking about getting this truggy in the near future. the main question i have is parts support. how is it? and is most parts from the buggy capable of going on the tr?
thanks in advance
chris
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #680
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default coming...

I am currently running a Hyper ST. Im quite happy with it. But after seing the CEN Matrix TR Arena in a magazine and read some write ups about it I become interested. Yesterday, after practicing at my local racetrack, I saw a brochure of CEN products in the shop. So I ask, are you gonna have this truck here? The guy at the shop said yes sir! CEN products will be here next week! OMG! Here we go again! I got to check this thing out. And if Im convinced I will buy one. Just one question, Is there any fault that this truck may have? Well I know everything have but what is its weak spot? Comments please....
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #681
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well let's see....

Pros
1. GREAT customer support
2. VERY VERY easy to drive fast
3. Once upgraded very strong will hardly break anything (Though you need to dump about $250+ to get there)
4. Very stable in thr rough
5. Steers pretty well once upgraded (19 degree hub carriers and CNC steering knuckles don't come with the FRE kit )

Cons
1. Stock plastic steering servo saver WILL break and needs to replaced with CNC aluminum, (most stores are sold out) ~ $20
2. stock Steering knuckles will need to be filed down for more steering, even then they use cheap aluminum and will eventually strip out - needs to be replaced with CNC ones also $50+
3. front plastic hub carriers are also kinda flimsy
4. Center diff outdrive cups will wear out pretty fast. ~1.5 to 2 gallons at about $12 a piece ( you need 2, tho the front wears faster) If you replace the center dogbones with CV's the wear rate will slow down quite a bit.
5. Hopefully you get the FRE version and the latest kits will come with cross-pins installed (I hated the limited slip diffs previously)
6. RTR kit tho built well has crappy radio and servos and used red loctite everywhere leading to many stripped screws
7. Weighs about 1 to 1.5 lbs more than Mugen or Losi truggies, needs a VERY torqey .21 or a good .28 to jump as well and as quickly as the lighter truggs
8. Front turn buckles WILL need rear hingepins put in them as the stock hollow ones WILL bend.
9. Get the FRE, the RTR stock plastic front rear hingepin carrier and rear front carrier will crack/bend on impact
10. Sorry about the list, I went from noob to intermediate with this truggy so I had a lot of learning to do. It's now a good truggy but I'm now considering selling mine and moving on to MBX5T or 8T.
All controlled by 3PK/FASST
magbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #682
Tech Master

I designed the Matrix TR Arena. On the Matrix buggy, you must use the top hole in the tower for maximum uptravel. On the TR Arena, you must use the lower hole for maximum down travel unless you use the long shock ends. I have never tried the long shock ends, I have always used the short ends front & rear. The CVD's on the production truck were made a little too short, so to prevent them from poping out you must use the inner hole on the arm and the lower hole on the tower when using the short shock ends.

Now if you want to raise the center of gravity (and get some extra down travel), you can use the long shock ends on the front & rear and use any of the shock mount holes in the arms and towers without any problem. The RTR's come with the long shock ends on the rear already to keep it simple but the fronts pop out sometimes also, so they should come with the long ends as well. But for racers, we want the best performance, maximum uptravel is the best for handling, as long as you use the right holes to keep them from poping out. I have been told that they are going to make new longer CVD's, but that will take some time.

I poped out a rear CVD the 1st jump I hit the day I got the production truck. I changed to the holes I recommend right then, and I have never poped one out in 7 months of racing since then.
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #683
Tech Apprentice

Gene,

Any word from Cen as to when the next shipment for parts?.. I have been looking around for the CNC upper bellcrank but no luck..

Thanks.
pedsaktix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #684
Tech Master

I have been out for almost 3 months. They are supposed to get more in this month.
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #685
Tech Apprentice

Great! I can finally then continue my build.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #686
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
3. Once upgraded very strong will hardly break anything (Though you need to dump about $250+ to get there)
All you really need for the Matrix TR FRE is the cnc knuckles, the cnc bell crank, and give some attention to the front turnbuckles. I got all the upgrade when I first got my truck an I sold all of them except the cnc knuckles and the cnc bell crank. I modded my front turnbuckles to except lunsford 5mm turnbuckles, but Gene has a easy fix with his cnc 8mm turnbuckles

5. Steers pretty well once upgraded (19 degree hub carriers and CNC steering knuckles don't come with the FRE kit )

This is something I just don't understand. I have seen a couple guys say this, but my Matrix TR has crazy steering, really to much I run the stock plastic hubs with the front sway bar an I still can out turn anything I've seen Andrew and Gene race against some of the best an steering is not a area where the Matrix TR is lacking.

The Matrix TR is a awesome truck hands down. It is winning an that is want matters. All of the truggies on the market has there ups and downs... is the Matrix TR the best out the box?? I'm a CEN Team member an I say no , but when you factor in that it is one of the cheapest to get ( $300 - $350 on ebay) an you can add the need parts an still be way under what the others cost, the CEN Matrix TR can't be touched. I've had my truck since they first where released an all I ever have to replace is a a-arm every once in a while. The truck in my eye is as good as anything else.

HOTBODIES RACING / FULL THROTTLE RACEWAY (OWNER / OPERATOR)
lockmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #687
Tech Apprentice

I got mine in Ebay for $280.00 s/h included..
Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #688
Tech Apprentice

I got my FRE in Ebay for $280.00 s/h included..

Opss!! I wish there's a delete option here..
Old 07-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #689
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I just learned that the new CEN Matrix TR (RTR) is coming out with a new SH .28 engine. And in another thread, I also learned that the new Z.28R engine is a rebadge SH engine. Is it the same engine or what? Can someone enlighten me on this?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #690
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The LRP Z.28R is made by SH, as are many other engines, XTM, the Dynamite Mach line and several others.
That being said, SH offers several different lines of .28 engines, I myself run the SH.28 Prospec, which I love.
The Z.28R will most likely have significantly different porting and internal machining when compared to the new CEN RTR engine. That doesnt however mean that the RTR engine will not be good. SH makes very inexpensive high quality engines, for the price they are unbeatable.

I believe that CEN choosing to run SH engines in the RTR kits is an excellent idea, SH are very easy to tune.
The CEN TR Arena RTR in its stock form will be a very capable truck on the track, combined with the SH, you will have a great combo.

http://www.shengines.com/