R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #391
Tech Adept

I know Don's clutchbell/spur gear sounded real bad yesterday. I don't think it ever got worse but it sure sounded sloppy right from his first tank!
jcchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #392
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine's R/C H
Has anyone every stripped a clutch bell on the Matrix Tr Arena?

I ask because I have been using the same bell and spur all year long and it shows little to no wear, but a few of the locals have stripped several.
Gene why is the bell design with the deep hole??? The one that come with the FRE TR is harden an I like them, I just hate the way the outer clutch bearing set inside the bell. I usually shim it out, but I just switch to a different bell, because my friend started haveing problems with his
lockmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #393
Tech Master

Justin, Don is the one of the ones having a problem. I think his spur gear is worn out and that is why his gear mesh sounded like a coffe maker even with a new bell. He nosed dived on throttle on the 40 foot double in Alabama the 1st 6 laps in a row during the A-main event.

The CEN bell has long teeth so that the gear mesh will line up with any engine and still make contact even with chassis flex. Why does having the bearing inset bother you lockmouth?
And what problem was your friend having? I have been using only Cen bells since August of last year with no problems until the Alabama race. If there is a problem, I want to know about it so that it can be fixed. I don't think there is one, but I just want to make sure since 2 guys in the last week have complained to me.
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #394
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Do you guys still run the stock 14T or do you run 13T? No problems that I know of but I haven`t had mine long.
sweepracingusa.com
smc-racing.net
fuzz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #395
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well, I took the clutch apart and the Mugen aluminum shoes have a black glazing coating the surface of the shoe that contact the clutch bell.

This is the first time I have ever used aluminum clutch shoes. I will admit that I did nothing other than shim and assemble the clutch as I would using carbon shoes. I DID NOT lightly sand the inside of the clutch bell or do anything to the shoes.

I will try again with the aluminum shoes. If the lhs has the CEN blue aluminum shoes, I will use them along with the CEN 1.1mm gold springs, CEN flywheel and engine nut.

If the lhs should happen to not get the CEN shoes in, I will have to try the Mugen setup again, but this time I will have the matching Mugen engine nut to complete it.

Thanks for all the comments do far. Any additional advice for proper setup is still greatly appreciated.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #396
Tech Fanatic

slakr..... If you went from running carbons to aluminum shoes on the same bell that could very well be the problem...

the carbon leaves a deposit on the bell.. wich gets in the scratches and what not inside your bell.. this gives probly an advantage to a carbon shoe on this material as when heated it may try to bond it..

aluminum would have the opposite effect.. causing slippage and heat... with no where to dissapate..

I am not sure if this is your problem but its probly not helping..

I would suggest a good sanding of the bell.. then put some nice new gouges inside..

See if that helps..??? Just trying to help,...

EVERYONE ELSE.... I have actually stripped one of the 14 bells.. but was a loose clutch bell screw.. so not at the fault of the bell.. still running the 14 bell.. and could probly pull a 15 atleast it might on a big track
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #397
Tech Regular

I replaced the servo saver tonight then I took it out for a second run at the track. When I started it I had no throttle/brake. My brand new Hitec servo went bad after only 8 tanks. After I changed that out I got 3/4 of a tank in before the servo saver broke again.

Tonight my shop ordered the aluminum upgrade for me. I should have just put it on in the beginning like you all recomended.
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #398
Tech Regular

Will you please describe the benefits gained by using the diff pins? Will it aid in off power steering? Granted I have only run it a few times on the track, I seam to have a lot of push in the corners unless I get on the throttle. Does this sound right? It could also be a setup issue? (I am getting full throw and servo saver is tight)

Thanks for your help
Old 04-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #399
Tech Fanatic

well I had the same effects running out of the box.. I ran the 22 degree carriers and it evened it out gave it a very nuetral feel ..
I am now back to running 19* due to following genes new set up.. have just switched over so not sure..

But in hopes to help.... a switch to 22 along with other tuning options will help to calm it.. and make it more nuetral...

I lighter rear diff oil..will should also help.. the cross pins allow for us tune using conventional methods..
the LSD likes to be driven hard and thru the corner.. I for one like it and am not runing the cross pins.. If decide to will only run Center and rear..

I love this truck..!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #400
Tech Regular

rreg: Thanks are the stock carriers 19? What diff oils/grease and shock oils are you running?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #401
Tech Fanatic

Here print this and study it.. the thoughts and geometries explaned in this are the same just may be more aggressive for us in some cases.. or less in others..

But definately a good read!!!!
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #402
Tech Fanatic

i was running box stock.. how the instructions set it up.. with some slight tweaks 45 up front and 30 rear.. the 80wght gear oil in the front diff and 5000 and grease in the rear.. truck felt as you described the first time I took it out.. .. changed front diff from 3000 to the gear oil .. and from the 19* stokers.. to the 22* tamed it down a bit..

just put on Genes newest set up.. try like 3 pages back.. in this forum.. havent had a chance to run it.. changed everything except did not yet remove the front sway bar.. and Im still runnin the LSD diffs..
Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #403
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine's R/C H
Justin, Don is the one of the ones having a problem. I think his spur gear is worn out and that is why his gear mesh sounded like a coffe maker even with a new bell. He nosed dived on throttle on the 40 foot double in Alabama the 1st 6 laps in a row during the A-main event.

The CEN bell has long teeth so that the gear mesh will line up with any engine and still make contact even with chassis flex. Why does having the bearing inset bother you lockmouth?
And what problem was your friend having? I have been using only Cen bells since August of last year with no problems until the Alabama race. If there is a problem, I want to know about it so that it can be fixed. I don't think there is one, but I just want to make sure since 2 guys in the last week have complained to me.

i changed the bell in my buggy in feb and i was running that bell from oct so i got 5 months out of it and then it looked a LITTLE worn down i still slap it on for club race but not for big events

i think some people just dont mesh them right or like you said gene that guy landed on the throttle number of times of a 40ft jump
Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #404
Tech Regular

rreg: What exactly do you want me to read on the link? The drivers blog? I am confused

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #405
Tech Master

Quote:
Gene I have had no problem with the harden cen bells, I think my buddy is just having the screw come loose on him, witch is causing him to strip the bell.

I usually run the same bell and bearing for months, and only change them for big races.

As far as the bearing being inserted deep in the bell, it is just something that is not common with other brand of bells. I just don't like the fact that you have to shim the outer bearing up to get the bells to tighten up right, but it is no big deal.

The quality of the harden CEN bells on top notch an should last for months if shimmed an use correctly

I ran the 15t bell on my TR at the AIC 5.0 a the truck had snap and was crazy down the front straight
lockmouth is offline   Reply With Quote