R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #376
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooner
Gene do you run the lsd in front of of your truck. If so what grease do you run in it? What upgrades should I buy for this truck to put on during the build process? Thanks
The Matrix TR is pretty nice right out of the box, but I would get the CNC bellcrank, CNC steering knuckles, CNC 3t2s rear plate, and Genes diff conversion an you should be good to go.
lockmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #377
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hey guys

Hey guys I have one question so far the build is going smooth but I have one thing I can not figure out. Ok when I put the motor in the spur gear is way to close to the inside of the inside of the clutch bell by where you can see the shoes throught the bell. I have tried everything taking the center diff out I rebuilt it, took the motor out and fliped the motor mounts around not the plates but the mounts I mean I am dazed so if anybody could help me out that would be great.
Joshua
Hudy
Max Power
Majestic Rc
Upgrade RC
RCID
Coopz Lidz(Amazing Work)
Werks Racing
Toys4BigBoys
Rcmtracer.com
losi8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #378
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The holes in the motor mounts are off set. If they are reversed then the motor will be too far forward. I know you said you already checked that but check again. I did the same thing. I guess I should have be reading the instructions. If you move the alum. motor mount piece from the outside to the inside and vise versa you should be ok. Other than that I really don`t know.
sweepracingusa.com
smc-racing.net
fuzz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #379
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Thanks Fuzz I got it to work.
Hudy
Max Power
Majestic Rc
Upgrade RC
RCID
Coopz Lidz(Amazing Work)
Werks Racing
Toys4BigBoys
Rcmtracer.com
losi8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #380
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmouth
Tell me how you like the turnbuckle mod once you try it. I love my TR even more now since I don't have to worry about the Lundsford turnbuckles bending. Everything is solid on my TR now, I just need to get on the same level as the TR
I like the turnbuckle mod a lot. No problem there.
Mugen reds F/R and Mugen 700/400 cps F/R was a little stiff for my liking.
Had some minor problems; lost the bottom bolt and bushing from one of the front knuckles and it seems like I might be having some clutch slipping issues (Mugen aluminum shoes and 1.1 springs).
But overall and for the first time out with it; I like the TR Arena.
slakr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #381
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr
I like the turnbuckle mod a lot. No problem there.
Mugen reds F/R and Mugen 700/400 cps F/R was a little stiff for my liking.
Had some minor problems; lost the bottom bolt and bushing from one of the front knuckles and it seems like I might be having some clutch slipping issues (Mugen aluminum shoes and 1.1 springs).
But overall and for the first time out with it; I like the TR Arena.
I'm running the shocks in the top middle hole on the tower and all the way to the inside on the arms. Also I'm not running the top spring retainer in the rear. My truck is nice an soft
lockmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #382
Tech Regular

I took my truck out for it's first run on the track today. It was a very different feel from my last truggy. I think I am going to like it! Some of the fun was spoiled by a thunderstorm, but after it cleared I did get a couple more tanks in.

When landing our triples my front tire sunk into the soft mud and I broke the servo saver. The truck flies very nice and it is very easy to control in the air even with 20 lbs of mud caked to it. Next time it is muddy I will not run, but I could not help myself...I had to get it on the track.

losi8: I also switched the motor mounts on my first build. Something so simple yet easily overlooked.
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #383
Tech Rookie

Hey Slakr,

The reason the mugen shoes and springs might not be working for you could because of the geometery of the clutch.

If you compare the stock CEN clutch nut to the mugen nut, the groove where the springs are retained are in very different positions. I tried running the mugen shoes and springs once with the stock CEN clutch nut, it seemed as if something was wrong with the clutch, the same slipping problem you are talking about.

If you are going to use the Mugen shoes, you might want to use the Mugen flywheel, clutch nut as well for proper clutch geometry. Might also want to ask Gene for his opinion as well. This is just strictly from my own obeservation.

For the buggy I run the blue CEN shoes with 1.0 springs and then for truggy blue shoes with the 1.1 springs.
s5lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #384
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5lin
Hey Slakr,
If you compare the stock CEN clutch nut to the mugen nut, the groove where the springs are retained are in very different positions. I tried running the mugen shoes and springs once with the stock CEN clutch nut, it seemed as if something was wrong with the clutch, the same slipping problem you are talking about.
Thanks for the reply s5lin.

Yes, I did notice this and had to play with shims a bit so that the springs would seat in the CEN engine nut groove. I did use the Mugen Flywheel, but did not have a Mugen engine nut (but I picked one up when before I left the lhs/track).

Racing again this coming Sunday and I will be trying Mugen flywheel AND engine nut, Dynamite Max-life Aluminum Clutch Shoes, Eck Tec 13T Hardened Steel Clutch Bell (used this last time as well), CEN 1.1mm clutch springs.

I might use the CEN aluminum blue clutch shoes (I have them on order with a lhs, but they hadn't received them yet) and/or Mugen 1.0mm clutch springs.

This is really the first time I have had to work on clutch tuning. In my MBX5 buggy I have just always run a complete Mugen setup with Mugen carbon shoes and 1.0mm clutch springs without any troubles.

Advice from Gene or anyone is always appreciated. I like the TR Arena so far; I just need to get the clutch thing figured out and then I think I will be even happier with the CEN.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #385
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr
Thanks for the reply s5lin.
Advice from Gene or anyone is always appreciated. I like the TR Arena so far; I just need to get the clutch thing figured out and then I think I will be even happier with the CEN.
what is wrong with your clutch that your not happy???
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #386
Tech Fanatic

Talking

YUP THE FACTORY SET UP WORKS WELL.. SO FAR ONLY A LITTLE SANDING ON THE SHOES TO KEEP THEM IN SHAPE... JUST NORMAL MAINTENANCE HAS GREAT SNAP..
i HAVE NO COMPLAINTS..

IF YOU CANT GET THE MUGEN TO WORK PUT YOUR FACTORY SET UP BACK ON... ( ASSUMING YOU HAVE IT
)
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #387
Tech Fanatic

sorry for the caps
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #388
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Hull
what is wrong with your clutch that your not happy???
Quote:
Originally Posted by rregl0612
IF YOU CANT GET THE MUGEN TO WORK PUT YOUR FACTORY SET UP BACK ON... ( ASSUMING YOU HAVE IT)
The factory setup would be the RTR engine with carbon shoes and 1.0 springs.

The setup I ran was O.S. VG engine, Mugen flywheel, Mugen 1.1 springs, Mugen aluminum shoes, CEN engine nut, Eck Tec 13T Hardened Steel Clutch Bell.

The problem I was experiencing was lack of punch to accelerate out of a corner or over a jump and there is some noticeable bluing on the clutch bell. I haven't disassembled the clutch yet, but I will sometime over the next few evenings.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #389
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ok use the blue clutch shoes from CEN racing and use gold springs from CEN racing as well
Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #390
Tech Master

Has anyone every stripped a clutch bell on the Matrix Tr Arena?

I ask because I have been using the same bell and spur all year long and it shows little to no wear, but a few of the locals have stripped several.
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote