Like Tree1Likes

CEN Matrix TR

Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

gene, when using grease on the rear diffs, how much do you apply, do you just coat the gears, heavy, light?

thanks, james
Old 12-29-2006, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

For the Truck I would pack it. For the buggy, just fill half way.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

I started building my TR FRE recently and the TCD diffs confused me a bit as far as the setup/tuning ability and why CEN uses them. I found that the Kyosho Kanai III used the TCD diff in the front only and their standard diffs center and rear. I was just going to drop in some RGX or Kyosho diffs but have since decided to try the kit diffs out.

I see Smolnik's setup sheet uses 80wt gear oil in the front and 60wt in the rear Setup Sheet . I couldnt find any 60wt anywhere but found a quart of synthetic 80wt at a cycle shop so that should work fine. Couldnt find any Redline 'High Shock' red anywhere locally as I've been told that would be the best stuff to use. I did find the Kyosho TCD lube and it is spendy ($15.00 for a small bottle) so I passed on that. I'll try the grease for the rear diff like Gene says.

Cain - I see from your post you are using your CNC Knuckles.... Ignore my PM I sent from teh CEN forum

e.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Standard style diffs will make the car easier to drive, LSD makes the car/truck more agressive. Cen is working on standard type diffs and they will be out soon.

The K2 came with a LDS front & center. Richard Saxton TQ'd the 2002 IFMAR Worlds with a front and rear LSD. Degani won the worlds with a front LSD. They are a tuning option, but standard diffs are almost a must for buggies. But the truck can handle them.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

My TR Arena is done. 100% box stock and ready to race next weekend.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Nice. I see you are running offset wheels. Do you suggest that over running standard? I swapped over to use Matrix 17mm hubs so i could use the Mugen and ST-R wheels that I already had.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

So basically the diffs that come with the matrix are not good for racing? Oh well, I will just give them a good as I can imagine how much a full diff replacement will cost.

If possible, can someone list the part numbers needed to convert to kyosho style diffs? Is it just the internals or the full diffs?

Can someone name a specific brand of the grease to use? not a gear head here so I wouldn't really know what to ask for.

CEN really made a nice buggy, looking forward to seeing how well the truck goes.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

cain - the diffs are good, maybe gene can weigh in on this when he reads it. they are just diffrent, the are limited slip diffs. some kyoshos run lsd's. for about a year i ran mugen, the losi. i changed to CEN after seeing andrew and gene's buggys and trucks at the futaba challenge. when i tried to set them up like a mugen or losi, it didn't drive like i was used to. but after a little more research and help from guys like andrew and gene, the car is hooked with CEN diffs. they are just different from those style diffs and require alittle different driving style. you need to run a lot lighter fluid or grease in CEN diffs to get the feel you may like. with heavier fluids it drives more aggressive, not a bad thing, but requires a different driving style. before you go out and buy kyosho diffs, give me a pm, and i tell you what i did. im very happy with it. as far as the truck goes, i hear that the CEN diffs work great in the truck also. saw a video on youtube of the truck, it looked good.

cenracing.com
hx-raceway
hobbies x-treme
Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We went to Thunder Raceway in Nashville Tenn. yesterday to race. I think everybody that had an RC car or truck decided they would too. Over 100 racers showed for a club race. It was alot of fun to say they least but also a very long raceday.
Corey Johnson raced his Matrix Factory Race Edition and all I can say is WOW His truck looked great it was so under control and stable. It was very free in the corners and had great forward bite. And YES he had the CEN diffs in the truck setup the exact way Gene has his if I am not mistaken. We cant wait to get ours to race.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

The stock diffs work godd with alum cases, but not so good with plastic cases.

Yes, I heard that Corey TQ'd and won his 2nd time racing the new TR arena - great job. I'll be racing the production truck for the 1st time this weekend.

Jyst about any high temp grease will work. The TR comes with grease.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Holy smokes..the CEN matrix uses LSD diff 's ?

Well I just bought a realy nice used CEN Matrix pro, as well my good Buddy just bought a new Matrix pro buggy.... We both filled the diffs like we would any other 1/8th scale.... I am completely unsure if our buggies have the LSD difffs.... SOrry for the stupid question but this is the first I have heard of this....

Does our Buggies have diffs that need grease instead of silicone ?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Initiate

If the bevel gears have the plates behind them they are the LCD diffs. I think the Matrix buggy uses them too. The exploded diagram on the CEN site shows the same diffs.

e.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

These are LSD style diffs:
CEN:

Ofna:

Kyosho:

This is a standard diff:
Kyosho:

A standard diff has 6 gears and 2 cross pins that allow even diff action and puts power to the tire with the least amount of traction. A Limited slip differential had plates or many gears that lock up the diff as it spins and applies power to the tire with the most traction or more evenly applies power to both wheels.
Cen is working on a standard diff and we are currently testing them.

The Kyosho 7.5 Kania Edition came with LSD diffs. The Ofna Hyper 7 PCR comes with LSD style diffs. The Cen Matrix comes with LSD style diffs too.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Gene,

When do you feel the LSD style diffs are better to use than a standard type diff?

Hopefully converting won't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

I have always liked the LSD in the front of my truck. It gives the truck more all around steering. Greg Degani and Richard Saxton both used an LSD diff in the front of their buggies at the 2002 IFMAr Worlds I have been told. I also was told that Jared Tebo always ran a front LSD when he ran for Kyosho.

I have never liked a LSD diff in the center or rear on my buggy, but on the truggy, it will help keep the front tires from ballooning up on power. In the rear, it makes the car have tons of off power steering, but is hard to control. But if you put grease in instead of oil, it takes most of the LSD action away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.