Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 07-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have seen lots of different ideas on this and am confused. How long is your fuel and pressure lines? I have an RB C6 L2G, if it matters, on my 8b. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default lil help

i like my losi buggy but i am almost ready to sell it. for the last three weeks it has seen more pit time then run time. yesterday i blew two diffs. getting the hd diff cups tom any other suggest on diffs. the other problem for the last two weeks is shock shafts pulling out of body what the i lock tite the screw i set my drop limiters with calipers so the scocks did not pull all the way out. this buggy is starting to be nothing but a money machine. burnt up servo to and yes i had the epa set right and all the gapping throttle open 95% and no flex in tray when u were at full brake. love my 8t have had no problems at all with it is this buggy just weak or am i having a bad luck streak. have been thinking about getting 808 but i am a losi fan and do not wanna give up. if anyone can give me some help i would appraite it. like what i need to do to make this thing bomb proof. i am a ok driver ever race i have been in i have tqed or have qualfied 2-3 so i don,t drive it rough. just seems to fail me every weekend. heck yesterday had to finish A main with one rear shock other broke in main. o and clutch bearings every weekend this thing is blowing them never have blown one on my 8t what gives is there somthing u have to do? should i get hd diff cups in all three diffs? this thing breaks one more time somone is going to get a good deal on a nice buggy
Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tex1
We moved the arms forward 3mm and allowed the spindle carriers to move forward 1/8th if an inch. It is all optional and can be moved back at any time. What is funny is how close the new Xray arms look like our modified parts we have been running for months.

Sure Truhe and Drake can perfect backside everytime but the one time they don't the car will dig in. Look back for the pics I have posted of this. It is intresting to realize how much you have to let off to get the car to jump and land perfect. Now we get the nose down without worry and just pull the trigger.
TEX
I searched and searched and didnt find any posts referencing your front end changes. Could you please repost the pics and your changes?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cody, if it takes longer to spool up that probably means I'll see a drop in my low end performance; is it really noticable? I bet it would improve idle performance though. Have you run both in your buggy? Which one did you like?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

the steel flywheel is a very noticable difference
Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The nut that holds one of my rear shocks is stripped. I want to rebuild the shock, but I can't get the nut off and thus, can't get the shock off at the top. I put the nut driver on it and turn it, but it just spins on the bolt.

What are my options?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desertbird
Cody, if it takes longer to spool up that probably means I'll see a drop in my low end performance; is it really noticable? I bet it would improve idle performance though. Have you run both in your buggy? Which one did you like?
Your bottom end wont be so "punchy". It will transfer power smoother. Good idea on dry tracks for less wheel spin.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA9102
Old 07-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
The nut that holds one of my rear shocks is stripped. I want to rebuild the shock, but I can't get the nut off and thus, can't get the shock off at the top. I put the nut driver on it and turn it, but it just spins on the bolt.

What are my options?
pry on it with a small flat tip screwdriver while you loosen it.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What does everyone use to measure the ride height?
When measuring the ride height do you also consider the skid plates? Where is the best place to measure the chassis? I noticed in the manual that the got the picture of the height on the side of the chassis
Old 07-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 [View]

We moved the arms forward 3mm and allowed the spindle carriers to move forward 1/8th if an inch. It is all optional and can be moved back at any time. What is funny is how close the new Xray arms look like our modified parts we have been running for months.

Sure Truhe and Drake can perfect backside everytime but the one time they don't the car will dig in. Look back for the pics I have posted of this. It is intresting to realize how much you have to let off to get the car to jump and land perfect. Now we get the nose down without worry and just pull the trigger.
TEX

I searched and searched and didnt find any posts referencing your front end changes. Could you please repost the pics and your changes?

Thanks!

Also Very interested in this also, remembering reading your thoughts TEX but never got to see any pictures, I believe you were at a race meet without camera at the time or something ??

Anyways some pictures and measurements of what you've done would be great...

Rod
Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
What does everyone use to measure the ride height?
When measuring the ride height do you also consider the skid plates? Where is the best place to measure the chassis? I noticed in the manual that the got the picture of the height on the side of the chassis
I've cut some 3/4 in dowel to the height I want. Drop the buggy and then slide the dowels under the center of the chassis (in-line with the axles). The dowels should just fit, adjusting up or down as needed. Don't know if this is the "right" way to do it but has worked well for me.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

C&B RC...that method should work just fine......the only thing i would have a problem with...is I like to drop my truck from say 10-12" and let the suspension do its thing before measuring....so therefor u would need to remove the blocks each time....I use the Associated gauge...and take my measurements front behind the front wheels and right at the lip of the skid plate for the rear.....and i have found the truck act Significantly different when the height's Arent set proper.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C&B RC
I've cut some 3/4 in dowel to the height I want. Drop the buggy and then slide the dowels under the center of the chassis (in-line with the axles). The dowels should just fit, adjusting up or down as needed. Don't know if this is the "right" way to do it but has worked well for me.

That sounds like that will work, however, I would suggest making some different size dowels and adjusting the front and rear ride heights seperately. Like Integra, I also use the AE ride height gauge.

I usually set the front height (behind the kick-up) lower than the rear. This should "pitch" the car forward. This allows the weight to transfer to the front under braking and helps the car turn in

Of course if you want the front higher than the rear it would transfer the weight to the back under acceleration and help the car get out of the corners.

Ride height is a very helpful tuning option and it's so easy, just a simple turn of the shock collars, it's definitly something you should experiement with.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Thinking of getting an 8ight buggy. Saw that there is the competition and a race roller kit. What is the difference of the two? Is it just that one is assemble and the other isn't. There seems to be a big price difference.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Kit and the Race Roller are the same. The roller comes pre assembled obviously and when I bought my second 8ight I got the roller so I wouldn't have to build it - the factory actually does a good job building the cars.

The roller is suppose to come with a easy to drive set-up, but if you build the kit you can build whatever set up you want.

Big price difference? where are you looking and which is cheaper?

If you have never built and 1/8th scale before I would suggest the kit, but if you can save money with the roller go for it. it still comes with detailed instructions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.