Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think a few pages back I think we covered this carb kinking problem. I solved it by angling my carb to be in line with the throttle linkage so it pulls straight out and pushes straight in. It looks funny because the throttle linkage isn't parallel with the brake linkages. Like most people are used to.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Wright
What do you guys use for air filter oil and do you know what it really is I mean is it just a low viscosity oil say 10Wt or a 20WT trans oil, air tool oil? I am having trouble giving the LHS $5.99 for 3 oz when I can buy a quart at Pep nuts for $1.

Jim
I use Bel-Ray motorcycle filter oil.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default losi 8ight shock oil setup/piston setup

Hey guys I was just wondering what shock oil everybody is running in there shocks when they run the red 2.3" X 4.1 Rate springs up front and silver3.1" x 2.8 Rate springs in the back. Also what pistons are you running with that setup. Thanks everybody. So If anybody knows would you just mind letting me know. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

OkI'm going to post a picture of what my linkage looks like. I set it up like this after my carb started binding up at about 1/2 throw.

The picture is a bit fuzzy, but you still can see the angle it's at. if you draw an imaginary line from the back side of the carb, to the end of the throttle linkage, it's a straight line. I've had no problems with this set up and it's smooth as silk.

I'd never take my carb apart and polish the slide. that just causes premature ware, and possible air leaks.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-p7230443.jpg  
Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

One last thing. I bought the new losi aluminum steering rack cover, and realized that it uses counter sunk screws instead of the button head screws. I'm just saying they should supply the screws, because now I have to go buy some new screws to install it.

Other than that, I think it's great.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
One last thing. I bought the new losi aluminum steering rack cover, and realized that it uses counter sunk screws instead of the button head screws. I'm just saying they should supply the screws, because now I have to go buy some new screws to install it.

Other than that, I think it's great.
Hey graphics, do you have a bit of play in all your steering linages. When I try to set my camber and toe I can get reading of +or- two degrees. Let's say I set my camber to -1. Well, with the extra play it can be -2.5 with the car on the ground or 0 when lifting the car slightly. Even when I don't mess with moving the car around, I can move the wheel about two degrees. Just wondering if you notice anything like that.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

How much will backspacing and offset on the wheels affect the handling? I'm thinking that using three diffrent brands of wheels has caused me to make changes to the suspension that I shouldn't have. Losi, Xray, and Proline rims all have different backspacing. ????? thanx for the info
Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losi8ight
Hey guys I was just wondering what shock oil everybody is running in there shocks when they run the red 2.3" X 4.1 Rate springs up front and silver3.1" x 2.8 Rate springs in the back. Also what pistons are you running with that setup. Thanks everybody. So If anybody knows would you just mind letting me know. Thank you.
Can anybody help me with my question above, if so that would be excellent. Thank you very much.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

We ran a 2 hour endurance race with the car last night... The car ran great the entire time, kept the throttle servo intact, and had very minimal damage.

The parts damaged were;

Blew up a rear CVD, causing the rear hub carrier bearings to expire (5 min fix)
Bent rear shock shaft.

Not bad..
Old 07-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

I use Bel-Ray motorcycle filter oil
Wow Bel-Ray I haven't seen that since the I road a Bultaco in the 70's they still make it?

Jim
Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by J.Wright
Wow Bel-Ray I haven't seen that since the I road a Bultaco in the 70's they still make it?

Jim
I have to say they do. My local cycle shop gets a case every 2-3 weeks. I bought a quart in February and I'm at 3/4 oil. Call the ball. lol. Good stuff.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Just had a great days racing with me 8ight b.

What can i say .... I made a few changes to the shocks since last weekend and well what a transformation. It was like cheating, the race director had to lower the computers minimum lap time as i was beating it The thing was totally awesome. handling the rough stuff,flying like a bird and hugging the inside line like it ws glued there. Totally happy here
Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Post Hot Tip of the Day!!!....

Take your top shock bushings and use a 4mm Hudy reamer to knock the step out of them so they rotate freely on the mounting post. When the shocks are on the car glue the bushing into the shock cap with a drop of CA. Now the bushing will rotate on the post and not wear out and even stretch the inside of your shock cap.
The bushing can always be removed and replaced with a new one because the glue is holding plastic to aluminum. If you run a little black grease on your shock post it will be nice and free for a very long time.
I figured this out about 3 months ago and have not had a suspension problem yet. It is very consistant because it does not change how it moves nor does it get slop in it.

Just something for you fellow racers and fans of the Losi 8.
TEX
Old 07-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

can anyone confirm that the proteck 2000mah lipo from amain will fit in the 8b box? only one it really states is no ttr.

heres the link. thanks kyle

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13508
Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KForce
can anyone confirm that the proteck 2000mah lipo from amain will fit in the 8b box? only one it really states is no ttr.

heres the link. thanks kyle

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13508
Don't think it can fit....shuld be the same size as LRP lipos..I'm using the LRP 1500 lipos fits nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.