R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #1441
Tech Initiate

QUOTE :"unless I missed something the 8ight T is due in march "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT WAS ON A COUPLE OF OTHER FORUMS :
YOU MUST BE READING ON HORIZON...................NUH SAID
BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #1442
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT
QUOTE"unless I missed something the 8ight T is due in march "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU MUST BE READING ON HORIZON...................NUH SAID
And what Todd Hodge has told the team members, but maybe he's wrong
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #1443
Tech Apprentice

The rumor was that its coming built because horizon hobby, their main distributor wants it that way. They sell more cars that are pre built than kits.

I'm however a little disappointed with Losi. They have done nothing to resolve the issues that the 8ight had. The 8ight T is practically the same car with the same bracing. The 8ight T is going to flex even more given its extended frame.
spinall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #1444
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinall4
The rumor was that its coming built because horizon hobby, their main distributor wants it that way. They sell more cars that are pre built than kits.

I'm however a little disappointed with Losi. They have done nothing to resolve the issues that the 8ight had. The 8ight T is practically the same car with the same bracing. The 8ight T is going to flex even more given its extended frame.
Hodge will have to confirm this but I'm pretty sure the 8ight has a running change to include new clutch shoes, a shorter throttle return spring, and a shorter ball link for the carb.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #1445
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinall4

Nobody has determined that flex is the problem! Flex does not burn out servo motors. Incorrectly set linkages do.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #1446
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport10
Nobody has determined that flex is the problem! Flex does not burn out servo motors. Incorrectly set linkages do.

I kinda agree with that, I think that everyone(including myself the first time around) having issues more than likely have their linkages setup incorectly. I also believe that the endpoints may look to be set correctly while the car is on the bench but when you get out on the track all the flex is changing the geometry of the car and making the endpoint on the brake side to tight thus killing the servos. Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #1447
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport10

Here here...
GTB_USER_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #1448
Tech Rookie

I just built my 8ight. I am having a hard time getting the car to sit level. Looking at it from the rear of the car, it sits lower on the right side as compaired to the left. I have set the ride height at 28mm, front, and rear. The Preload on the springs is the same side to side, I set it with my caliper. The shocks are built corectly, and so is the rest of the car according to the manual. The car was built with the following, RB s7, RB pipe, Ko servos, spektrum recever, regular 5cell nimh hump pack, AMB personal. I wish I had a set of scales to see how much off balance it is. I would think if losi desigined this car it would be balanced side to side, they know ther stuff. This why I am at a total loss, for whats happening here.

Has anyone had this same problem, or can shed some light on why it sits like that. I would sure appreciate any help, or sugestions.
jonny257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #1449
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny257
I just built my 8ight. I am having a hard time getting the car to sit level. Looking at it from the rear of the car, it sits lower on the right side as compaired to the left. I have set the ride height at 28mm, front, and rear. The Preload on the springs is the same side to side, I set it with my caliper. The shocks are built corectly, and so is the rest of the car according to the manual. The car was built with the following, RB s7, RB pipe, Ko servos, spektrum recever, regular 5cell nimh hump pack, AMB personal. I wish I had a set of scales to see how much off balance it is. I would think if losi desigined this car it would be balanced side to side, they know ther stuff. This why I am at a total loss, for whats happening here.

Has anyone had this same problem, or can shed some light on why it sits like that. I would sure appreciate any help, or sugestions.
take your shocks back off, extend them all the way out and make sure both rear shocks are the same length and both rfonts are the same length. Quite easy to screw one rod end further onto the shaft than the other side. Check that and come back with what you find. My car sits level with springs preloaded equally....

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #1450
Tech Fanatic

Droop screws, maybe?
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #1451
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
take your shocks back off, extend them all the way out and make sure both rear shocks are the same length and both rfonts are the same length. Quite easy to screw one rod end further onto the shaft than the other side. Check that and come back with what you find. My car sits level with springs preloaded equally....
Rich: I've heard this theory of the rod ends before. Maybe you can explain this to me.

Seems to me that the ride height would not be affected by this. I see the ride height being determined by the distance from the preload collar down to the spring perch which is connected to the a-arm. How far you screw on the rod end only seems like it would affect where in the shock body the piston is sitting when the car is at rest... certainly a good thing to have equal on both sides, but won't affect ride height.

I'd check that the springs on both sides are the same length when off the shock (no defective spring), and that the shock mounting positions are the same (double check that), and that one shock or the other isn't over-full with oil and acting like a spring.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #1452
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

let me think about that one only had 2 hours sleep last night

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws

Last edited by SupermaxxRich; 01-18-2007 at 01:37 PM.
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #1453
Tech Rookie

Ok guys heres what i found, when I measured the shock length. One of the front rod ends was about .010" shorter than the other. One of the rear rod ends was about .005" shorter than the other. I corected this, and made all shocks the same length. Another thing I found was my shocks are leaking a little oil. The car has not been run yet, still brand new. When I built the shocks, I bleed all of them to be neutral, they dont rebound back out after you push them back into the shock body, they didnt have any air or bubbles when I built them. I will go and measure the springs length. the droop set screws are set to allow maxium travel from the supension, basicly just enough, so the the set screw takes the load off the shock end.
jonny257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #1454
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just ran a quick test. On one side, I screwed the rod ends all the way out until they were just hanging on by a thread. On the other side, all the way in. Put them back on: no change in ride height.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #1455
Tech Fanatic

Maybe one of the springs is slightly heavier in rate than the other.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote