R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #1291
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Steve Walters:

Thanks for the excellent photos. I'm a visual kind of guy and it helped a lot to see the images.

My son's Eight has been almost flawless after a month of some serious driving time. What has gone wrong can be blamed on his mechanic (that would be ME) being new to nitro and making stupid mistakes. I couldn't imagine any better 1/8th scale buggy!

Cheers!

Chris Boice
skysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #1292
Tech Regular

I gave my new 8ight the first test drive and all I can say is. WOW, it has some rockets under it. I have never drove a buggy with such take off speed!
My setup was not very good for the tight indoor hard clay track (it pushed onpower) but it was still fun to drive. The 8ight does not drive like any oter buggy I have ever driven. It takes some getting use to.

NOTE: After the race I was letting a friend drive it and the shock piston came loose. I realized the mistake I made. If you put the loctite in the thread hole and NOT on the screw, it will allow the loctite to work better. With this method you will not have to wait until the the loctite dryes before building the shocks.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #1293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Just open the hole in the piston slightly, so that the screw has clearance. The way it is out of the box, the piston loosens the screw (acts like a washer-head screw) and unless you put loc-tite into the hole or on the thread after it goes through the piston, there's no thread locker on the threads.

I just poked the holes out with a reamer and slapped them together. You shouldn't have to let loc-tite cure to have it work. It would be really nice if they made the pistons locate on the shaft instead of the screw...they'd be like every other shock and they wouldn't have this issue.

I still think the biggest thing this buggy has going for it is the weight. A half pound is a LOT of weight for an RC car. People spend tons of money to save grams...this is 240 or so grams...
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #1294
Tech Master

Joe, I cannot agree more about the weight. My Prospec was noticably faster after I installed tytainium screws & composite steering balls. I wish I could find a set (ty screws) for the 8 to make it even lighter. There is not much other way to get weight out of it.
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #1295
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMike
Joe, I cannot agree more about the weight. My Prospec was noticably faster after I installed tytainium screws & composite steering balls. I wish I could find a set (ty screws) for the 8 to make it even lighter. There is not much other way to get weight out of it.
Lipo batteries 30+ grms. Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles are worth 1oz of weight savings Car is silly light and super strong

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #1296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

yep i just switched over to the lipo rx packs and the titanium stuff is going to be next.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #1297
Tech Apprentice

What lipo rx setups are you guys running? Which pack and regulators?
spinall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #1298
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I'm running th muchmore 5a regulator and a venom 800 mah lipo pack but i have a thunder power 1400 mah lipo pack on the way...
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #1299
Tech Regular

Lunsford also had on their website titnaiium hinge pins and kingpins for the 8ight.....but no screw kit.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #1300
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
Lipo batteries 30+ grms. Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles are worth 1oz of weight savings Car is silly light and super strong
Silly light, but I don't know about the "super strong" part. Ain't no way it's gonna hold up as well as a heavier buggy will. It may well be strong enough for you and many others, but it's hardly bulletproof.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #1301
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey guys.trying to finish up my eight,haveing a issue with the clutch.I asembled as the manual shows but when I tighten the clutchbell srew the bell has no endplay and will not turn.Anyone else run into this or have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks for any advice,Rick...........
RcRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #1302
Tech Fanatic

Your motor might not need the washer that goes between the flywheel and motor. Remove it and reassemble. Take up the remaining gap to the specified setting using the small shims slid on before the rear clutchbell bearing. This is a trail and error thing the first time.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #1303
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also make sure you use the flywheel collet that comes with the kit. I used the one that was on my motor from a previous clutch setup. I smashed one of the bearings when I first assembled it. After replacing the bearing and using the correct, and much shorter collet, it worked perfectly...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #1304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Silly light, but I don't know about the "super strong" part. Ain't no way it's gonna hold up as well as a heavier buggy will. It may well be strong enough for you and many others, but it's hardly bulletproof.
It seems bullet proof to me. I put around 2.5 gallons through it at the track and broke absolutly nothing, except steering servos. I am a beginer and crash probably 5 times more than an experienced driver.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #1305
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanterene
It seems bullet proof to me. I put around 2.5 gallons through it at the track and broke absolutly nothing, except steering servos. I am a beginer and crash probably 5 times more than an experienced driver.
1/8th buggies are pretty tough as a group. Given that, they took a LOT of meat out of this one to get the weight down. I just know that at our track, there are a few parts that are selling (out) briskly...LOL...

I'm not saying they're easy to break (like 1/10th 4wd), just that they're not as beefy as some of the other cars. You don't get light weight without sacrificing either dinero or durability. Being clever can net you some, but not this much.