Losi 8ight building and setup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I SOLD MY JAMMIN & ORDERED THE LOSI TODAY AND YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME THINK I SCREWED UP................
Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I firmly agree that the servo issue does deal with setup but I really think the servo is just in a bad spot. The heat from the rear brake and center diff are pounding the servo in my opinion. Im thinking if you find a way to protect it more from the heat being distributed then this will stop most servos from blowing up. This may not be the problem but when my 8ight gets here this weekend I plan on taking that approach. Maybe if losi or someone makes a servo tray or bracket that puts the servo a little further away from the center where heat is an issue, just a thought. I still didnt let this issue keep me from buying one though, cant wait to get her together.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde
We had a couple guys with servo troubles at our track this summer, but in both cases they failed to set the EPA. No matter what car you use, if you don't set the EPA, you will fry the servo. I have a lot of time on mine now with no issues, as do many other people at our track. The guys at our track who originally had issues haven't had any since they had everything set correctly. With the longer arm, your EPA will be really low... mine is around 29% I think. Keep in mind, that a longer arm is another performance gain that the 8ight offers. It will give more holding power just because of simple leverage. It also won't be affected as much by bumps and jarring since a 1mm flex/movement on a long arm is way less than a 1mm flex/movement on a short arm.
When I was flying airplanes we were usually warned about using long servo arms with servos that had marginal torque in a high stress applications like a 3D planes because the amount of torque at the end of the arm was less then measured at the servo. There were guys that actually did tests with arms of different length on the same servo and proved this theory to be correct. The longer the arm the less torque you will have.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT
I SOLD MY JAMMIN & ORDERED THE LOSI TODAY AND YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME THINK I SCREWED UP................
Not all of us are having throttle servo problems. I installed the grommets first thing, checked the linkage and corrected any binding (shortened the little spring on throttle linkage 1/8"), and deleted the throttle return spring. I am still using the original throttle servo that mine came with. I really like the way this buggy handles.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

No throttle issues here, no issues at all actualy

I repeat, the servo's are in NO WAY being affected by engine heat or brake heat. If you want to cool that area down a little cut the "air ducts" on the body as that will allow more air flow under the body. When I go out and practice I'll run 2-3 tanks of fuel in a row usually 30 minutes run time, using the brake 2-3 times every lap(my brakes are actually set a little to firm right now as well! ) and beating on my car hard!! I temped my throttle servo on a few occasions and it was always in the 80-90 degree range. Well under any temps that would hurt the servo. If your servo is HOT to the touch, your end points are WRONG! Only way a servo can get that hot is by stalling the motor from incorrect end points! If everyone just follows my post on how to set your servo and linkage to the tee you will not have issues.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You just haven't found the right track yet if you haven't burned a servo. It'll happen

I had zero servo problems after a gallon at one track.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ldawg
You just haven't found the right track yet if you haven't burned a servo. It'll happen

I had zero servo problems after a gallon at one track.
Naaa, there is no track that is harder on chassis flex then the one I'm at now. Concrete like clay. By the elongation on my body from the rear body post you can see my chassis is flexing a 3/8-1/2 of an inch!!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Supermaxxrich, sorry if I'm mis-understanding something but would'nt your chassis have to be flexing UP in the middle to wear your body like that? I've been racing offroad for many years and have had a few flexy chassis and the ussually wear the body the other direction.

On the servo issue, I'm at 1.5 gallons(3 track days), no servo issues (hi-tech 925mg)

On the clutch issue,I'm at 1.5 gallons(3 track days), replaced 1 5X10 & halfway thru the second stock set of shoes. I think I'm over geared with the 14 tooth at my track.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

I beleive all my servo problems are over, I did the linkage the correct way the day I built the kit, it's obvious when building it that that spring is to long and gonna cause problems........ My problems were gone instantly when I installed the rubber grommets!..

I beleive everything supermaxxrich is telling everyone is absolutely correct..... If people give up on this car because they can't get the servo deal figured out I'm sure they'll regret it.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

We only have a tenth scale track at the shop, so I ran it here today for 5 sessions.
All of them were 3 to four tanks, Pushing the car hard on the tight track.
Lots of brake and throttle action.
That is now almost 3 gallons on this car.
The servos were Both used, out of my Truggy from last year.
Both were punished just fine by this Sportsman driver.
I am still using them and as someone posted, when I temped them for fun today, They were both at about 95 t 100 degrees.
My linkage is about as close to rich's photos as I've seen.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=RBMike]Supermaxxrich, sorry if I'm mis-understanding something but would'nt your chassis have to be flexing UP in the middle to wear your body like that? I've been racing offroad for many years and have had a few flexy chassis and the ussually wear the body the other direction.
QUOTE]
yes correct, huge "quad" jump that sometimes involves "casing" the centre of your chassis on a jump!! Like I said, nothing is harder on chassis flex than that especially when the track surface is as hard as concrete!! No overheated servo's, nothing. When setup just right there will be no issues. Yes this car flexes quite a bit but its part of what makes this car handle so darn well
Old 01-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink Hey Rich,

All of our tracks are like that. Hard pack clay. I have started putting teflon tape under the body in the wear areas. It is .12 thick. Once stuck I then glue it in place. I elongate the rear hole considerably. It is close to 3/4 of and inch long. The front hole is oversized just a little. I use a thick body washer over my rear hole when I clip it on. They last a good long time now.

I have had the same throttle servo in my car since day one. No problems and the servo does not get hot. 90 - 100 degrees tops. It is all setup. The Losi does not need all of the throw the servo will provide. It is that simple.
Just pay attention, use your rubber grommets and get everything as straight as possible and you will be fine.

Been racing for over 25 years. I can assure you everything Rich has posted is right on the money. If you follow that you will be fine. I do agree about the analog servo thing. They are less tempermental in these buggys. There is a kid at the track that I helped with his Eight. He was running the RTR with the 590 servo on the throttle. He is on his 3rd gallon and has not missed a beat. He is very hard on the car considering he has never had one.

You will get it. Just keep trying and reading.
TEX
Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

thanks tex1
Old 01-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

so i did the rubber garments on both servos. now do i have to cut the spring and if so how much do i cut?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I cut several coils off mine, so there's just enough there to close the throttle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.