R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #1051
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
was just checking to see if you guys have come up with a solution for the throttle servo problem. a friend of mine at the local track has just gone through his third servo, 2 - 8800's and a 4800. we had a new guy show up at the track with a rtr and he blew is throttle servo. i was just checking so i could pass on some info. i ran the 8 for about a month and i did not expereince any problems

Then he needs to change his throttle setup. Don't just put a new servo in and expect it run fine. I keep reading where "one" guy is blowing 2-5 servos and the next 20 8IGHT owners are not having any problems with any servos. If your servos keeps breaking, your setup is probably wrong......

There are a bunch of 8IGHTs in my area now, and none are having issues like what I read on some forums. Yes, one servo has gone out, but after redoing the setup the problem is gone. And ther are several drivers beating the %$#@ out if the 8IGHT.....

He needs to make sure his throttle spring is not binding (Needs to have several links cut off) when breaking. Make sure the Carb collar is 4mm (Or further) from the top of the center Diff plate.(For Chassis Flex) Make sure the Carb is being pulled as strait as possible, to prevent the carb from binding inside along the slide. (Under the Carb boot) And most of all make sure his EPA is RIGHT! And if you ready want to be safe, use rubber gourmets on the servo ears. Good Ideas anyway if your using Digital servos. They don't seem to like vibration as much a Analog servos do. (FYI)

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #1052
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12a_rx2
i'm not sure if this will effect the servos but i have to fun my carby on a slight angle to avoide hitting the centre diff, this wont make the servos die will it?
that will not affect your servo at all. as long as there is no binding. I ran a TTR S3 for over a year and you have to run the carb at a pretty extreme angle so it doesn't hit the centre brace and I never had a servo issue on that car because of that

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 AM   #1053
Tech Champion

Quote:
Then he needs to change his throttle setup. Don't just put a new servo in and expect it run fine. I keep reading where "one" guy is blowing 2-5 servos and the next 20 8IGHT owners are not having any problems with any servos. If your servos keeps breaking, your setup is probably wrong......
Oddly enough, my car's story is contrary to that statement. I had mine set up correctly from the begining, and yet I killed several servos. With no changes at all, my most recent servo has survived for a while now, 2 race days, a bashing session and a few practice days. The first 3 lasted only a few runs before crapping out. That's why it's still a mystery. Nobody can say for sure what causes it. If you read back through the thread, you'll see what measures I took to pretect my servos. The last few things I did seem to be the trick to make them last.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #1054
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
Oddly enough, my car's story is contrary to that statement. I had mine set up correctly from the begining, and yet I killed several servos. With no changes at all, my most recent servo has survived for a while now, 2 race days, a bashing session and a few practice days. The first 3 lasted only a few runs before crapping out. That's why it's still a mystery. Nobody can say for sure what causes it. If you read back through the thread, you'll see what measures I took to pretect my servos. The last few things I did seem to be the trick to make them last.
you say in that you didnt change anything inbetween swaping servos at 1st. then at the end you say the last few thing you did seem to work so which is it? did you make adjustments to the servo or no.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #1055
Tech Elite

Anybody over in the UK know where that LRP LiPo pack that was posted 1 page ago can be bought? Thanks....

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
Old 12-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #1056
Tech Regular

If you are stripping the white insert on the throttle arm then you definately have something incorrect in your throttle/brake setup. The heat under the body isn't what makes the servo's hot, the servos get hot because they might be used incorrectly/bad linkage setup. Yes any type of electronic device will work better in a cooler atmosphere, but the heat range under the body should not be the cause of servo failures....especially when new servos go bad in only a few runs after they are installed. Electronic part failures due to heat take many cycles/time to happen unless the heat it's exposed to is one of great value that we do not see in r/c cars. So servo failures are more likely to happen due to improper use/setup, or physical/mechanical shock (like landing flat bottom off a big jump). Electronic speed controllers get pretty hot at times (much hotter than the reported servo temps in here) and still continue to work fine. You also see a lot of poeple blow up motors in electric cars...it's not due to heat aroudn the motor(there isn't a heat source close to the motor), it's due to a bad product (motor defect), or 90%+ of the time improper use/gearing. I use JR 8800T for steering and JR 4800S for throttle/brake and no problems with either of those servos as of yet on my car with the brake EPA in the 30's. My linkage is 100% stock except the spring is cut chorter a little but I still feel the stock spring is too stiff and it would be better to use the XXX-NT throttle spring as the NT doesn't get as stiff with the same amount of compression when using the brakes.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #1057
Tech Initiate

details of the LRP lipo pack went on the uk distributors site today so they shoiuld be in the shops already / soon.

http://www.helgerracing.com/dbreakne...dframeset.html
chuckyegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #1058
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyegg
details of the LRP lipo pack went on the uk distributors site today so they shoiuld be in the shops already / soon.

http://www.helgerracing.com/dbreakne...dframeset.html
thanks, any idea of an on-line shop in the UK that will carry these and will ship overseas?

Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #1059
Tech Champion

Quote:
you say in that you didnt change anything inbetween swaping servos at 1st. then at the end you say the last few thing you did seem to work so which is it? did you make adjustments to the servo or no.
I did NOT make any EPA or alignment adjustments, they were correct from the begining. The only things I changed as time went on was to add the rubber gromets and a piece of thick foam core double stick tape for insulation.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #1060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec

hey all,racing season has finished for my club,i only did the last 3 rounds with the losi and i did pretty well overall with 3rd place.i cant wait for next season and i am loving the 8ight.i am halfway through stripping it down and the car is in great condition the only thing that needs replacing is the shock orings in 2 shocks.

go the 8ight its an awesome car

here is a picture of our clubs winners in different classes.i am at the very end on the right,dunno why my eyes are closed
Attached Thumbnails
Losi 8ight building and setup-club-championship.jpg  

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 AM   #1061
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone had problems with the outer rear hinge pins (the lower pin that holds the rear hubs on the arms) on the 8ight. Mine seem to get bent a lot, maybe from big jumps.

I did order a set of Lunsford titanium ones. Hope this fixes the problem.

Alex
spinall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:51 AM   #1062
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec

no mate i havent had a single problem yet

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:07 AM   #1063
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Breaking hinge pins was a problem with Mugens when their threaded pins came out. The fix was to only tighten the nut enough so that the pin still turned freely (reasonably, it's a tight fit to begin with) in the arm/carrier/hinge pin brace when turned by the hex head with a wrench.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #1064
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the 8ight skins on eBay? They look good, less than $20!
ldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #1065
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I seem to have fixed my throttle servo issues. In my case it was the back brake wire that was binding on the topplate. I made the eyelet smaller, and put a slight bend in the wire so it cleared the diff case, and topplate perfectly. If you're blowing servos, check to see if the topplate is marred from the brake wire. I also ground away the sides of the tray around the servo a little to prevent any chance of binding with chassis flex.

No servo problems since!

Hope this helps..
ldawg is offline   Reply With Quote