Losi 8ight building and setup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=R40Victim]Make sure your end points on your throttle and steering are right, and use the rubber gromets that come with your servos for the throttle. Put them under the servo mounts, not in the mounting ears, and don't tighten them any more than you have to.

If you do not put the grommets in the mounting ears you are not effectively isolating the servo from harsh vibrations. Use them as designed.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

was mine that impressive lewis
Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

was helping my nephew work on his 8ight tonight and I think I
discovered something with the help of you guys 8-) He lost a throttle
servo last time out, it ran good for 70 minutes the time before but
there wasn't any huge jumps at the first track he ran it at. this
second go around there was some nasty jumps that he landed "short" so
there would have been some really good chassis flex going on! Needles
to say he lost his servo in less than 2 tanks.
he had his servo spaced away from the chassis enough but he didn't use
the rubber grommets and had the servo bolted down tight. Tonight I
installed the rubber grommets with the brass sleeves and screwed the
bolts down just until they touched the washers ontop of the rubber
grommets and then gave them 1/2 a turn. then I started grabbing the
servo twisting it and such to see how much it would move around and
was surpirsed to see that it actually doesn't move that much with the
servo being that "loose".
now, when I was holding the radio tray front to back and simulating
chassis flex I could see the rear mount of the servo(where the
elongated mounting slots are) allowing the battery box to "slide" back
and forth on the rear servo mount. I think this is the key to allowing
the servo's to live. I think peeps that are cranking down tight on the
servo mounting screws(even with the rubber grommets) aren't allowing
the radio tray to "slide" back and forth there for transfering all
that flex to the servo. I then bolted up his radio tray to the car and
grabbed the car front to back and the car does have lots of flex in it
wich I think is a good thing. I could see the "sliding" affect taking
place while I was simulating chassis flex. I really think this is
the "fix" to all the problems. my nephew will be running his car on
the 16th of this month so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Maybe
one of you guys that are having these issues can test my theory out
before then and see if it fixes your problems?? 8-)
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, when I first installed them, I used them more like rubber spacers. I wasn't only using them to reduce vibration, but to lift the servo. I felt like it was too close to the chassis. At one point I did install them as designed, but that servo died too. Since using a new servo, and going back to using the gromets under the mounts, and adding the insulation, I haven't killed a servo. I'm sure it can work in other situations, I was just telling him what works for me.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyper7vspec
was mine that impressive lewis

lol i wanted one since they came out so i got an early christmas present

but yours did look good on the track

but i cant race it till next year
Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
the king headz mount allows you to run a normal clutch setup by flipping the mounts arround and you dont have to shim the clutch up for it to mesh with the spurr right.

will the Xtreme Racing 3 piece motor mount allow you to do the same thing as the king headz mount will? a-main hobbies has the Xtreme mount in stock, but not the king headz mount.

are there other mounts available for the 8ight that will allow you to flip the mounts around besides the king headz one?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

This is for Walt. I just got my Airtronics servo (94360) back from repair. All the repair order said was...replaced motor...10 min labor...no charge.... warranty. I am still going with linkage setups being the problem. I believe the combination of the servo being close to the carb along with the stock setup leaving too much throw back into carb with the factory specs on the brake linkages. I have had that two servos go down but one was a 94357, I don't count that because it is hella old and well used before I put it on buggy, I stripped the plastic gear, but got rid of the higher speed ones and went with a higher torque 94359 to handle brake loads. I have a gallon through this setup with 2 club races and no problems.
As far as flex, well I am a no account non-driving dude that crashes/wreck/flips all the darn time so I know I am flexing the heck out of my car, if that were the "critical" issue I think I would have went through about 37 servos by now. Car is tough!

I will have to put this back out there, I set up my brake linkages with longer fuel tubing and offset my servo arm to allow for perfect endpoint setups and no radio trayflex of servo binding/noise issues. The carb still opens all the way and the car stops...when I use the brakes.

Chris
Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

I would be willing to bet that if you used the rubber grommets on the servos and adjusted your linkage per Adam Drake's recommendations the servos would last quite a while. I am going to be picking up one of these 8ights soon and we will see. Using an all alloy geartrain servo for the throttle might be a good idea too. I am planning on using a JR 590M servo for the throttle because they have proven to be almost bulletproof for me. I am running one in my X-5 and it has given me no problems. The X-5 is just like the Losi XX-4 and does not have a servo saver for the steering.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sport10
I would be willing to bet that if you used the rubber grommets on the servos and adjusted your linkage per Adam Drake's recommendations the servos would last quite a while. I am going to be picking up one of these 8ights soon and we will see. Using an all alloy geartrain servo for the throttle might be a good idea too. I am planning on using a JR 590M servo for the throttle because they have proven to be almost bulletproof for me. I am running one in my X-5 and it has given me no problems. The X-5 is just like the Losi XX-4 and does not have a servo saver for the steering.

This will be an interesting case to follow. lol.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

dirtracer1, I think the King Headz mount is the only one to allow you to flip the blocks, if you can be patient Jim at King Headz said they should have their mount ready to ship in a week to 10 days. We have one in my sons 8ight and it is real nice. Jim will also be working on an extended mount in the near future. We have the pre production rear torque rod in my sons car as well and it fit perfect and eliminated alot of the rear chassis flex. The front and rear torque rods will be yet another tuning option for the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Just a little extra info.
Mugen has been know to blow a few Th. servos. I put some double sided tape and a "good servo" in and have never had problems. I also do as a routine check for the correct slop in the linkage. Also as the breaks wear you could look at changing the endpoints. Just some extra info.
I am looking foreward in trying a new buggy. The Mugen Prospec is a great buggy. Its just really nice to have so many 8th scale buggies on the market to try. Much better then the old days of 2wd electric. Losi and AE thats a hard one
Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Walt
I recommend that you come out to the track this Friday night and try mine out (you can try my Revo too). What do you say Solara? Are you available? Me and E.S. will be there (unless wife says no )
Yeah, asked that question, wife said "how about buy a new x'mas tree and start hanging stuff on it..."

I would love to, but I will have to take a rain check again....
Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ahsikes
This will be an interesting case to follow. lol.
+1
That sounds like an awful big gamble for a 1/8 throttle servo in a car that has been having issues.

good luck
Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tinbndr
+1
That sounds like an awful big gamble for a 1/8 throttle servo in a car that has been having issues.

good luck
LOL...no kidding...those things die just laying on a table... My buddy killed 2 or 3 of them in his truggy.

How are you doing Mr Tinbnder?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

If you want to check out some info on the Losi 8ight, check out the Dec issue in RC CAR magazine, Stephen bess provided set up sheets for specific tracks in cali, breaks the whole kit down and the whole nine yards.

i saw him roost this kit in person, HOLY was i impressed, if you dont think he test his products, watch him at a race, he worked that Losi 8ight to the bone man. that thing is capable for sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.