Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
ok guys not having any luck with the 8ight stock clutch. Here is what I got

new 8ight roller
Grp tuned
jp3 pipe
tq 30% fuel
same setup as everyone seems to be using

buggies first race on sunday. After 3 races the clutch was pooched. The plastic shoes where 3/4 way gone and the stock alum shoes where at about 1/2 to 3/4 gone. I was using green springs on the plastic shoes and gold on the alum with 13 tooth bell. Also forgot I am using the steel flywheel.

So I got a big race this weekend so I picked up a set of the dynamite shoes and a new set of plastics with another new bell. Should a be ok for the weekend or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks
Chris your buggy was looking good out there Sunday! I got 2 gallons on my clutch, stock alu and carbon shoes with silver and gold springs. Good luck this weekend at the GLORCS race, wish i could make it

John
Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcosta78
Chris your buggy was looking good out there Sunday! I got 2 gallons on my clutch, stock alu and carbon shoes with silver and gold springs. Good luck this weekend at the GLORCS race, wish i could make it

John
hahaha hey John! Ya the buggy worked good but man wait tell you see the shoes I pulled out. I did a couple tanks on the new clutch today. I pulled the motor tonight and the clutch looks good so far. i guess we will see after sat how it will hold up. Wish you could make it this weekend.

I need another 8ight for parts, if you see a used one let me know ok! i will pm you my email and #'s .
Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ok guys not having any luck with the 8ight stock clutch. Here is what I got

new 8ight roller
Grp tuned
jp3 pipe
tq 30% fuel
same setup as everyone seems to be using

buggies first race on sunday. After 3 races the clutch was pooched. The plastic shoes where 3/4 way gone and the stock alum shoes where at about 1/2 to 3/4 gone. I was using green springs on the plastic shoes and gold on the alum with 13 tooth bell. Also forgot I am using the steel flywheel.

So I got a big race this weekend so I picked up a set of the dynamite shoes and a new set of plastics with another new bell. Should a be ok for the weekend or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks

something went wrong there....with the stock set-up you should get multiple gallon's before the shoes are slagged beyond repair....what was the measurement on the shoes ?

what motor also ?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
something went wrong there....with the stock set-up you should get multiple gallon's before the shoes are slagged beyond repair....what was the measurement on the shoes ?

what motor also ?
I will take a pic of the shoes so you can see them. I am using a GRP tuned with a jp3 pipe!

one thing I did notice is there was a lip left on the shoes, I think the bell was to far forward but that shoudn't wear the shoes faster should it??
Old 06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm going to be running 2 MaxLife/2 carbon shoes with black and gold springs, OS V-Spec and JP3 pipe. before I had all maxlife 2 green 2 gold and it had way too much punch. So anyway how many gallons should I expect from this setup? And will the carbon or Maxlife shoes wear out faster? Thanks.....
Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Lord

I will take a pic of the shoes so you can see them. I am using a GRP tuned with a jp3 pipe!

one thing I did notice is there was a lip left on the shoes, I think the bell was to far forward but that shoudn't wear the shoes faster should it??

i wouldn't think so....but weirder thing's have happened....what condition were the bearing's in after each race ? were these day race's or weekend race's ?

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
I'm going to be running 2 MaxLife/2 carbon shoes with black and gold springs, OS V-Spec and JP3 pipe. before I had all maxlife 2 green 2 gold and it had way too much punch. So anyway how many gallons should I expect from this setup? And will the carbon or Maxlife shoes wear out faster? Thanks.....
i would expect even better life with softer spring's....heat/slip is a clutch's worst enemy...and the softer the spring's the less heat/slip therefor the shoes clutch will last just that much longer....Carbon shoes will technically lubricate the clutch not allowing slag to build up from an ALL alum set-up....i favor carbon's in with my buggy clutch but on truggy i prefer all alum...but if you get the stall right on with the proper hardness of shoe you will get Multiple gallon's from a single set-up.

Last edited by Integra; 06-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Another weird problem......I was tightening my rear diff screws and theoutdrives would only move freely if I loosened each screw 1/4 of a turn. Would I lose too much oil or is there something else wrong with the internal gears? Also noticed that if I move the rear hexes slowly there is this kind of binding noise, or maybe 2 gears are not connected to each other like they are suppose to? This is coming from the rear of the car. Can't decispher (sp?) whether it is the cvd or the gear that connects to the rear diff gear.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Lord

Another weird problem......I was tightening my rear diff screws and theoutdrives would only move freely if I loosened each screw 1/4 of a turn. Would I lose too much oil or is there something else wrong with the internal gears? Also noticed that if I move the rear hexes slowly there is this kind of binding noise, or maybe 2 gears are not connected to each other like they are suppose to? This is coming from the rear of the car. Can't decispher (sp?) whether it is the cvd or the gear that connects to the rear diff gear.

I CRANK my diffs tight...like i mean tight....till they go tick tick tick with the last little bit....so something else is going on there.,....take stuff apart and inspect is the only way to tell really.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

I CRANK my diffs tight...like i mean tight....till they go tick tick tick with the last little bit....so something else is going on there.,....take stuff apart and inspect is the only way to tell really.
So can I just run it for a bit to see what the problem is? It is about 1/4 turn from tight and if I tighten it it feels like the gears are pressed too far into each other and not smooth. I just don't want to take the whole rear end out again.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

So can I just run it for a bit to see what the problem is? It is about 1/4 turn from tight and if I tighten it it feels like the gears are pressed too far into each other and not smooth. I just don't want to take the whole rear end out again.
I would not run it.. I'd take it apart. If there is an issue, then at least you find it before you burn up some other part and cost you more money..
Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Lord

take it apart....like i said something's up and you will find out the hard way if you run it.....I can think of a couple thing's....Melted bevel's....melted case to go along with those bevel's...locked up rear end you don't notice at first then it decides to take out the Ring and pinion on a bad landing where the rear diff cant spool out he power.....you see where im goin with this....
Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

ok guys here is the clutch shoes I was talking about in above post. These shoes only have 10 tanks at most on them. It was a new buggy and all new clutch. Let me know what you think may have recked them. I was using a 13 bell that seems to be warped when checked with calipers.

Tha last shoe is a new maxlife just so you can see the difference

Thanks
Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

ok guys here is the clutch shoes I was talking about in above post. These shoes only have 10 tanks at most on them. It was a new buggy and all new clutch. Let me know what you think may have recked them. I was using a 13 bell that seems to be warped when checked with calipers.

Tha last shoe is a new maxlife just so you can see the difference

Thanks

well then.....I honestly dont know what went wrong there....ive had the stock set-up last over a gallon and still be usable for practice....but those shoes are defiantly done....and its a stock GRP.21 tuned......i just don't see what could have happened.......did you have a real muddy track that day that could have overheated the clutch ?....heat is the only real thing that will slag out a clutch like that.....so my thought would be the clutch got hott and you didn't notice it at first and the shoes went south on ya....
Old 06-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

take it apart....like i said something's up and you will find out the hard way if you run it.....I can think of a couple thing's....Melted bevel's....melted case to go along with those bevel's...locked up rear end you don't notice at first then it decides to take out the Ring and pinion on a bad landing where the rear diff cant spool out he power.....you see where im goin with this....
Took it apart, found my issue. The sun gear that goes onto the bevel's from the top was out of place 1mm. Just enough to put yuor finger over the outdrive and feel the sun gear is 1mm higher. I think it was an o ring issue with them not fitting into place. How often do you guys replace diff oil? I do it about every gallon or so......too much, too little?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Lord

Took it apart, found my issue. The sun gear that goes onto the bevel's from the top was out of place 1mm. Just enough to put yuor finger over the outdrive and feel the sun gear is 1mm higher. I think it was an o ring issue with them not fitting into place. How often do you guys replace diff oil? I do it about every gallon or so......too much, too little?

Im glad you found something.....as for the how often to swap oil's...it really depends...if you race every week or every other week you could maybe stretch 1.5-2 month's....but i normally do mine every 2-3 race's.....race's normally being only 1 day event's with a Thursday practice...for full weekend race's outta town and stuff ill make sure everything is topped up prior and wont be an issue while im out.....I also wont change diff oil's at the track unless 1000% needed...sometimes the oil's all dirty...sometimes its not.....i find the track dirt and how clean you keep your cars plays a large factor in how long your fluids stay clean for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.