R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #8056
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoreno007 View Post
No worries! What is the difference in the 2.0 chassis guards?

there's more clearance for the throttle servo being re-positioned.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #8057
Tech Adept

I read somewhere that the flywheel collet from the XXX-NT, L427 is the same as the one that comes in the 8ight kit only that it can be purchased by itself(http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/15352) instead of having to buy a whole flywheel and clutch pins to get it in the official 8ight parts list(http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8837), am i correct?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #8058
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
I read somewhere that the flywheel collet from the XXX-NT, L427 is the same as the one that comes in the 8ight kit only that it can be purchased by itself(http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/15352) instead of having to buy a whole flywheel and clutch pins to get it in the official 8ight parts list(http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8837), am i correct?

yuppers
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #8059
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
yuppers
Thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #8060
Tech Adept

Im having big problems with my making my front clutch bearings last more than 3 tanks.

It seems that they are overheating and just disintegrating, as when i pulled the clutch off the other day after ANOTHER front failure and both seals were intact but there were no balls in the bearing, what the hell?

I recently put a new bell in so i can rule that out. It seems like its getting too hot. I decided to put the temp gun on the bell it it was at 300F!

Im running all alu shoes, 2 with gold springs and 2 with silver.

It seems strange to me, usually when using alu shoes bells are vented but the losi one i sent, does losi make a vented bell?

Ive checked and double checked the bell/spur mesh and the bell end play but they just keep going out on me.

Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #8061
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I hav 1 1/2 gallons on my clutch bell bearings and still going strong. Make sure your bell spins freely, the shimming is different for each engine. I can't use any shims with my RG, the Extech takes 2, etc. When you set the mesh be sure that the spur and clutch bell are parallel to each other. If it's angled even a little it will eat your bearings. I run my mesh pretty loose. I see a lot of guys say they use a piece of paper folded in 1/2, but I have mine a little looser than that. Clutch shoes could be an issue if you haven't replaced them, too much slip will heat the bell. Only other thing I can think of is if your engine has a lot of runtime on it maybe you have a bearing that's wobbling.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #8062
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
Im having big problems with my making my front clutch bearings last more than 3 tanks.

It seems that they are overheating and just disintegrating, as when i pulled the clutch off the other day after ANOTHER front failure and both seals were intact but there were no balls in the bearing, what the hell?

I recently put a new bell in so i can rule that out. It seems like its getting too hot. I decided to put the temp gun on the bell it it was at 300F!

Im running all alu shoes, 2 with gold springs and 2 with silver.

It seems strange to me, usually when using alu shoes bells are vented but the losi one i sent, does losi make a vented bell?

Ive checked and double checked the bell/spur mesh and the bell end play but they just keep going out on me.

Any ideas?

1 ditch the silver springs....those aren't helping the situation.....2 I wish losi made vented bells....it would help in keeping the clutch in check and temps reasonable....ive drilled out a couple but when Brand new its nearly impossible even with a Brand new Carbide bite its still a pain in the arse...make sure the mesh is alot looser then normal...so there's a decent Tick in the gears...but they arent too far apart they are barely touching.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #8063
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

All the above, PLUS;

If your engine crankshaft has a lot of gallons on it, check the diameter of the crank snout where the bearings ride. If it has been worn down too much there will be bearing vibration and wear.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #8064
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
I hav 1 1/2 gallons on my clutch bell bearings and still going strong. Make sure your bell spins freely, the shimming is different for each engine. I can't use any shims with my RG, the Extech takes 2, etc. When you set the mesh be sure that the spur and clutch bell are parallel to each other. If it's angled even a little it will eat your bearings. I run my mesh pretty loose. I see a lot of guys say they use a piece of paper folded in 1/2, but I have mine a little looser than that. Clutch shoes could be an issue if you haven't replaced them, too much slip will heat the bell. Only other thing I can think of is if your engine has a lot of runtime on it maybe you have a bearing that's wobbling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
1 ditch the silver springs....those aren't helping the situation.....2 I wish losi made vented bells....it would help in keeping the clutch in check and temps reasonable....ive drilled out a couple but when Brand new its nearly impossible even with a Brand new Carbide bite its still a pain in the arse...make sure the mesh is alot looser then normal...so there's a decent Tick in the gears...but they arent too far apart they are barely touching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
All the above, PLUS;

If your engine crankshaft has a lot of gallons on it, check the diameter of the crank snout where the bearings ride. If it has been worn down too much there will be bearing vibration and wear.
Cheers for the help guys.

Integra, would going to 2 green and 2 gold clutch springs be the go? And would putting in two alu and two composite(or even all composite?) shoes instead of all alu shoes reduce clutch temps also?

Last edited by Jonro; 12-04-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Jonro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #8065
Tech Lord

ALL carbon's will make more heat.....i really like the 2 alum 2 carbon set-up.....i run black and green...but if you want a little more stall put the gold's on the alum shoes.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #8066
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Questions?? just got 8ight

hello everyone, i just am getting back into 8th scale racing and got a crazy deal on a new 8ight kit. what should i be looking to do when building and what accessories are a must have, did not want to read the 100 pages to figure out. any help would be appreciated.

thanks
awidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #8067
Tech Apprentice

Default set up Q's

hey do any of you guys balance you buggies (like a touring car) and does anyone use set up stations or just use a camber gauge and toe gauge.????
dodgeboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #8068
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy93 View Post
hey do any of you guys balance you buggies (like a touring car) and does anyone use set up stations or just use a camber gauge and toe gauge.????

most hardcore racer's use stations.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #8069
Tech Apprentice

Default smart diff Q's?

anyone know or have info on the smart diffs,??
#1 is there going to be rear one?
#2 they offer a 90 degree & 120 degree ramplates what are these for?
#3 they also have an assortment of return springs used how?
dodgeboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #8070
Tech Adept

#1 - ? (30-50 degree Ramp Plate? or 90 degree Ramp Plate with stiff springs?)
#2 - 120 degree Ramp Plate - front diff, 90 degree Ramp Plate - center diff
#3 - fine tuning self-locking (stiffer springs = less locking)
vlad_vy is offline   Reply With Quote