R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #7921
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to wb-racer-ace

right now, rough estimate would be about 15 bux with bearings, if you guys are interested I'll order up the stuff and start cutting. I can probobly have 30-40 of them ready by next week
wb-racer-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #7922
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think I'd like to try one to compare to the Matrix ones.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #7923
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My 8ight is making a squeeking sounds when moving along (even at low speeds, on flatland) It has had about 6 hours of use. Would this be the bearings on the way out?
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #7924
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
My 8ight is making a squeeking sounds when moving along (even at low speeds, on flatland) It has had about 6 hours of use. Would this be the bearings on the way out?
could be a couple of things

#1. bearings are dry. remove all the bearings and 1 of the rubber seals per bearing then soak them over night in Mobil 1 engine oil, take them out and dry off the excess oil replace the seals and your good to go. I do this every gallon or so and I only had to replace 4 bearing in 18 months of running my 8

#2 drives shafts need lubing. use a small amount of grease, X-ray graphite grease is good. this also helps to extend the life of your driveshalfts

#3 your brakes maybe rubbing slightly. Check to make sure that your discs aren't rubbing on your pads- I use trinity brke springs to keep them seperated

If it's not 1 of those 3 then hopefully someone else can help you out

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #7925
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Drift_Buggy.....Im thinkin its dry bearings and dry CVD's.....i would'nt reccomend opening up and trying to relube your bearings.....imo for the 1$ they are...its worth it to toss em.....Retro i find it hard to beleive that the 8x14's on the hubs have lasted 18 month's....give or take a couple race meets and the outter's are feelin gritty.....ive got a BAG o crunchy 8x14's over the last year or so....also i would'nt reccomend Grease or any type of lube that will attract dirt....as dirty lube will only wear the part faster....not prolong its life.....most guys rely on Dry Film Lube's....they come in an aerosol and are 100% Dry as to not attract any dirt.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #7926
Tech Addict

Call me a real cheap ass, but I find I can reuse my bearings during complete break down about 4 times before they need to be tossed by simply poping the seals, soaking in wd40, blowing them out with air then brake cleaner, checking the "Crunchyness" and then lightly repacking them with high temp automotive bearing grease and wiping the outside clean.

The grease helps keep dust out not attract it in my opinion. Does it add rolling resistance, Yep, but I do not think 98% of will notice it. It saves some cash; as almost always those bearing on the hubs and diffs need attention after a weekend of practicing and racing, and at 2 bearings for the difs 2 per hub thats $14 savings per break down.

Just my $.02 to save $.02.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #7927
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

bearings are 1$.....14$
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 AM   #7928
Tech Champion

while you have the vehicle apart clean those suspension holes. In the arms, knuckles, hinge pin holders. I've traced a lot of "squeaky" noises to the hinge pin areas before.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 AM   #7929
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

^^^ agreed, ive noticed most squeeking noises from my 8ight come form the sway bar pivot balls and shock ball ends when driving in dusty conditions. Could actually hear my car squeeking on the track on the weekend just gone was pretty funny, bought it back in thinking something was half gone and was just the sway bar ends were dry...
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #7930
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
My 8ight is making a squeaking sounds when moving along (even at low speeds, on flatland) It has had about 6 hours of use. Would this be the bearings on the way out?
Its fine, its just broke in. More than likely its the a arms, Or the out drives.
Mine squeaks and makes all kinds of weird noise with good bearings in it or not. Narrowed it down to other stuff. When it goes rolling by I can hear it. The drive train is nice and free on the 8, I wouldn't worry at all. When it comes time to replace the bearings put Avids in it, they are great @ 1.00 a piece.
Hitecs
M11
DSM
and a Retired 8ight.
MonkeyWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #7931
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to wb-racer-ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
I`d be interested in two , about how much do you think you would sell them for ?
I'm going to order up the carbon and bearings today, try to have some sets done by the end of next week. if you are interested send me a pm, and I'll keep you posted.
wb-racer-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #7932
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Anyone know if the ackerman plates are the same for the 8ight and 8ight T ?
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #7933
Tech Rookie

yes, they have the same part number for both buggy and truggy. i run the long one on buggy and most run the short one on truggy.
Todd Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #7934
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

what is the best set up for a regular club racer like me
I have been using the drake and truhe's set up but it seems the shocks are too soft and bottom out easily
I am using the racer8 with E8 conversion
the buggy weighs 8lbs 8oz with battery

I had a nitro 8 and had the same problems with the shocks, it was just to soft and I would be bouncing and hitting the chassy on the ground
I put 70 weight oil in the rear and 50 in the front with the stock pistons and they were just right
I still dont understand why the shocks are too soft
thanks
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #7935
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The shocks on the 8ight aren't too soft. You can't set a car up so that it doesn't bottom off of big jumps, it won't handle worth a carp on the rest of the track. If your car is bottoming out on small stuff check your ride height. As far as the correct setup for an elecric 8ight, I have no idea. Pretty sure there's a thread on the electric 8ight in the electric offroad section, they may know.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote