R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #7906
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The notchy mesh between the rear pinion and the rear ring gear is normal with a brand new kit/roller. Once you "break in" your 8ight the notchy play should go away.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #7907
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRCaddict View Post
The notchy mesh between the rear pinion and the rear ring gear is normal with a brand new kit/roller. Once you "break in" your 8ight the notchy play should go away.

I didnt feel like wearing my 2 gears together..so i shimmed it right outta the box....Zero issues commin up to a year now.....i also did buddy's the other day Outta the box and it went fine and dandy....i think i used .4-.5 worth of shims....but all cases will be a little different.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #7908
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg1999 View Post
I am having the same problem and I am pulling my hair out over it. I have rebuilt the darn diff 5 times in the last 2 hours, putting shims in all locations. I have already stripped two screws that hold the diff case together and am getting very frustrated. The shims don't seem to work at all. The diff is smooth as is, but as soon as I put the screws into the box to bolt it to the rear end, it starts to get really rough. It's the two box halves pressing together that makes it rough....Any ideas? Is the HD box any better? I am getting very frustrated, and the worst part is the darn screws stripping, as I have to spend 20 minutes drilling them out.....
If you are using the aluminum bearing inserts, you need to sand the ends that face the bearing slightly. They will push against the bearing when you put them in the case and tighten the screws, making if feel notchy when it's together. Otherwise, it feels smooth in your hands when out of the case.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #7909
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthethumbma View Post
My race roller is brand new i am also very fed up starting to wish i had not sold mt x1-cr any more advice would be good as shimming dose not work for me either
underthethumbma, my 2 new rollers were the exact same way. I took the pinion and the ring gear out and checked for burrs. found nothing. put some grease on the teeth of both, put it back together and ran a tank driving up and down my sidewalk. after the tank was finished, the drivetrain was completely free. Everyone told me to do it this way, but it just didnt make sense. However, it works. Hope this helps.
Pete Taulbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #7910
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Ok, thanks guys for your help....Shaving the outer plastic insert and adding two shims worked perfectly, now it's buttery smooth. I did have to get a new diff case after breaking off a second screw in it....I also picked up a new allan driver, and it seems to be much better....Thanks again for all your help....that was frustrating.....
jakeg1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #7911
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jake Im sure you find this truck to be awesome. Let us know what you think of it.
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #7912
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help i am down my local track sunday and will let you know how it went once again many thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #7913
Tech Initiate

Default hi all

I have been down my local track to day and run my new race roller my rear diff is still very notchey can anyone offer me some more advice
Old 10-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #7914
Tech Lord

Quote:
I have been down my local track to day and run my new race roller my rear diff is still very notchey can anyone offer me some more advice

shim it....i used the Kyosho .1 .2 .3 kit.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 10-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #7915
Tech Initiate

are these the ones t for Inferno 777 SP2 & ST-R

Included are four (4) 4x10mm shims, four (4) 5x20mm shims, four (4) 8x12mm shims and four (4) 12x16mm shims. what size ones shell i use mate
Old 10-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #7916
Tech Lord

Quote:
are these the ones t for Inferno 777 SP2 & ST-R

Included are four (4) 4x10mm shims, four (4) 5x20mm shims, four (4) 8x12mm shims and four (4) 12x16mm shims. what size ones shell i use mate

these should do the trick

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4067
Old 10-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #7917
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to wb-racer-ace

quick question, I remember reading something a while back about using the mugen center cvd's on the 8ight. are they a direct fit or do they have to be modded?
also, what ackerman plates are you guys using? I got fed up with the stock one and didnt like any of the aftermarket ones I saw, so I made my own,
3mm CF with bearings instead of bushings
Attached Thumbnails
Losi 8ight building and setup-ackerman.jpg  
wb-racer-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #7918
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm not familiar with the Mugen driveshafts being used on the 8. I'm not saying it wouldn't work though.

As for the ackerman plate, good looking piece you have there. I have always used the long plate cause the short one gave the buggy quicker reaction time than I had. HaHaHa. Now, some people have said the buggy is too twitchy when the steering is tightened back up. I'm sure each driver has his preference though.

so let us know what you think of the comparison. Try each one for a couple tanks and switch back and forth. Post back what you think of it.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #7919
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to wb-racer-ace

the plate is the long one, and there is a tiny amount of play from the bearings, but not too much, raced with it sunday and it was way better than the stock unit. (not just saying that because I made it) had a buddy try it out sunday on his buggy and he liked it too.
if I get enough interest I'll make up some more.
wb-racer-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #7920
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I`d be interested in two , about how much do you think you would sell them for ?
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote