R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #7891
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaa View Post
hi hi .
does any one hav problem with strips n worn out the diff pinion gear. which is part losa 3508 and this will affect the rear ring gear too.

i m curious what is the main reason for the slippage of the diff pinion gear.
could it be the bearing or the bearing insert?

any guy faces such problems too?
Some guys have had this problem happen in the 8ight-T, it is caused by the bearing inserts. With the new 8ight 2.0 Losi has fixed this, now you can shim your rear diff for the backlash you want.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #7892
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Green View Post
i really like the blue paste locktite, it makes it easier to get it where you want it and not everywhere else. it works the same but just easier to use. i got it at autozone.
I totally agree, this stuff is way better then the original.
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #7893
Tech Regular

Default gear stripss

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
When you are putting the CVD coupler onto the pinion you need to do it with the diff case open so that you can tighten the set screw on the coupler to the pinion with the pinion pressed against the case and the coupler pressed against the case. This keeps the pinion securly in place with no movement in the bearing.
oh. tat seems to be the trick .got to open up the gear box n tighten the set screw tat hold the diff pinion. thanks for the input.

now i got to get the diff pinion and the ring gear. rest like gear box and flanged bearing is not a necessity to change..

on the other hand realise tat the flange bearing is always shaky type.
novaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #7894
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

i got a dumb question...i replaced all the bearing in my buggy and after a few runs the hubs seem pretty sloppy...is there any thing i can do like shimming them so there is not as much play or am i stuck with the slop.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #7895
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I put some washers between:

the hinge pin holders and A-Arms
The knuckles and carriers on the kingpins
and rear arms and rear hub

so far so good.
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #7896
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Leave the Slop....it'll handle better.....I did the whole "tighten up Everything" on my 8ight's and they didn't handle worth a bean....darty all over the place....imo the slop is supposed to be there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #7897
Tech Lord

Leave the Slop....it'll handle better.....I did the whole "tighten up Everything" on my 8ight's and they didn't handle worth a bean....darty all over the place....imo the slop is supposed to be there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #7898
Tech Initiate

Hi all i have just swiched from a x1cr to the losi 8 mine is the race roller i have a problem when i turn the rear wheels i get a crunching sound coming from the rear diff any help would be good
Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #7899
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthethumbma View Post
Hi all i have just swiched from a x1cr to the losi 8 mine is the race roller i have a problem when i turn the rear wheels i get a crunching sound coming from the rear diff any help would be good

add a couple .1 or .2 shims behind the Ring gear bearing....it should push the diff out Just enuff to make the mesh silky smoooth.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #7900
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I am having the same problem and I am pulling my hair out over it. I have rebuilt the darn diff 5 times in the last 2 hours, putting shims in all locations. I have already stripped two screws that hold the diff case together and am getting very frustrated. The shims don't seem to work at all. The diff is smooth as is, but as soon as I put the screws into the box to bolt it to the rear end, it starts to get really rough. It's the two box halves pressing together that makes it rough....Any ideas? Is the HD box any better? I am getting very frustrated, and the worst part is the darn screws stripping, as I have to spend 20 minutes drilling them out.....
jakeg1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #7901
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg1999 View Post
I am having the same problem and I am pulling my hair out over it. I have rebuilt the darn diff 5 times in the last 2 hours, putting shims in all locations. I have already stripped two screws that hold the diff case together and am getting very frustrated. The shims don't seem to work at all. The diff is smooth as is, but as soon as I put the screws into the box to bolt it to the rear end, it starts to get really rough. It's the two box halves pressing together that makes it rough....Any ideas? Is the HD box any better? I am getting very frustrated, and the worst part is the darn screws stripping, as I have to spend 20 minutes drilling them out.....
Is this the ring and pinion gear mesh you are having a problem with? If it is, you can shave the inside of the left bearing retainer to move the ring gear farther away from the pinion gear to give a little backlash.

What shims are you talking about? Inside the diff side gears? If so, you shouldn't be using any shims there.

What exact screws are stripping?
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #7902
Tech Elite

Quote:
Is the roller a brand new car, or a used one?
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #7903
Tech Initiate

My race roller is brand new i am also very fed up starting to wish i had not sold mt x1-cr any more advice would be good as shimming dose not work for me either
Old 10-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #7904
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Send a message via MSN to MBR52 Send a message via Yahoo to MBR52

Quote:
My race roller is brand new i am also very fed up starting to wish i had not sold mt x1-cr any more advice would be good as shimming dose not work for me either
You will be happy once you get it on the track.
Mugen MST-1 powered by Novarossi
Associated B44 powered by Novak
MBR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #7905
Tech Apprentice

Default Proper gear mesh setup.

I'm not exactly sure what you guys are describing here but let me take a stab at a fix. First of all if you have ran your car any amount of time with a stock diff case, chances are you will need to replace the cases with the new HD cases. Its been a known issue that the diff pins eventually notch out the channel in the case. The new hd diff case are great and Ive had zero issues using them. Second of all you should not have to shim anything in your gear boxes. The proper way to set your back lash is to do the following. With the housing separated and diff out, loosen your drive shaft couplers set screw and from the inside of the case push your pinion gear back up against the bearing and housing then from the other side push the drive shaft coupling against the housing and bearing taking out all play and re tighten the set screw. Then set your diff in the case and it should turn smooth. I use a tiny, tiny amount of black grease. Finally Assemble the outer half of the housing. I ve had the same ring and pinions in my car from 2.5 years ago with no problems. I am how ever using the aluminum inserts on the rear though.
Hitecs
M11
DSM
and a Retired 8ight.
MonkeyWrench is offline   Reply With Quote