Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Perkins
Any one have a Spring chart for the 8ight and 8ight-T?

Yep. It's on pg. 256. Post #7666
Old 09-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Right here my friend. They are all listed on Losi's site also. And in a manual, if you have one.

Originally Posted by boostfiend
Front -

Red = 4.1
Silver = 4.4
Green = 4.7
Black = 5.0
Grey = 5.6

Rear -

Red = 2.5
Silver = 2.8
Green = 3.1
Black = 3.4
White = 3.7
Grey = 4.0
Purple = 4.3
Old 09-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Losi Collet

This is a little off topic sorry. Does anybody know where to get the shorter type losi collet with out having to buy the flywheel with it?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

I remember reading a while back that the 8ight and the xxx-nt used the same collet and if thats the case this should be what your looking for

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/15352
Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That's correct the XXX-NT uses the same collet.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodID=LOSA9376
Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hey guy, ran my eight for the first time yesterday and I really like the car,drove great but I was having problems with my trottle hanging open. I adjusted the linkage and made sure it cleared the servo,was all good their so I changed out the servo and it still was doing it. The carb on the motor felt a little gritty but moved freely. Anybody got some suggestions for me? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Do you really need the metal shim in the diff that goes in between the retaining pin and orange rubber washer on the out drive shaft?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desertbird
Do you really need the metal shim in the diff that goes in between the retaining pin and orange rubber washer on the out drive shaft?

i dont run them on my HD diffs.....I used to notice they Notched the Orings pretty good....so i stopped using them.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I finaly got to drive my 8ight buggy the other night and had a few small issues with the handling of the car. The problem I was having was hit and miss it seemed like, but the rear end of the car would dance comming off of jumps and sometimes in the corners you would have excessive steering and for some reason traction rolling. I am running the MT Nitro Challange setup with the exception of 1000 rear diff fluid. I was running a new set of M3 crimes at the beginning of the night and noticed that the car was experiencing traction rolling issues along with the rear end going nuts randomly after landing jumps. My first thought was to change the rear shock fluid to a lighter fluid and ballance them. I did that, and it did not seem to help at all. I then switched over to some M2 Crimefighter tires with both inner and outer pins cut off "came with the car" and they were also having the same issue of traction rolling and the rear end dancing. The excessive steering was happening randomly when I would get in the corner and star putting the power down mid corner, the car would do a 180 when I would ease on the throttle coming out of the corner. Here was the real odd part, with the inner and outer row of pins cut, the front end of the car would pick up the fronts at about a 35 degree angle on this small bump on the front straight.

My thought is with the diffs, the car rolls great so I do not suspect bearings. I did notices when I rebuilt the diff that the car had some shims installed behind the spider gears, and I looked at the manual and noticed that the 8ight should not have any shims in the diffs? Is this correct? I have tried the exact combo of P5 and setup on another persons 8ight and it did not have the issues this 8ight has.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A couple things you can try on your set up.Put the Truhe set up on it.I put the biggest sway bar on the front and littlest on the back.I put the rear hubs all the way to the back and run m2 bowties on the front and m2 crimefighters in the back.This is what I run on a rough loose tracks.Lee
Old 09-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

My experiences with traction rolling. Used to be my biggest problem.

1. Make VERY sure the hinge pins, rod ends, pivot balls, a-arms all move freely. Try to lose the gritty feel when moving the suspension pieces by hand. Move each joint as it's own without another joint connected. Hope that makes sense.

2. Try lowering the ride height or reduce droop. If the car is allowed to roll too much the weight will be outside of the tire contact patch. Sorry, I'm not educated enough to put that into the correct terminology. LOL. It's called the moment center or something like that. But you don't want that point to be outside of the imaginary rectangle of your tires.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Cut off the outer pins of the front tires (start with every other pins). If it's still traction rolling, cut the outer and inner pins.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am not sure if your car is brand new or not, but i have found when the cars are new, they need a 1/2 gallon of fuel to loosen up, IE suspension, driveshafts and diffs. My cars are always a bit loose until these components are run in, mainly the driveshafts.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jammin_Xtream49
I finaly got to drive my 8ight buggy the other night and had a few small issues with the handling of the car. The problem I was having was hit and miss it seemed like, but the rear end of the car would dance comming off of jumps and sometimes in the corners you would have excessive steering and for some reason traction rolling. I am running the MT Nitro Challange setup with the exception of 1000 rear diff fluid. I was running a new set of M3 crimes at the beginning of the night and noticed that the car was experiencing traction rolling issues along with the rear end going nuts randomly after landing jumps. My first thought was to change the rear shock fluid to a lighter fluid and ballance them. I did that, and it did not seem to help at all. I then switched over to some M2 Crimefighter tires with both inner and outer pins cut off "came with the car" and they were also having the same issue of traction rolling and the rear end dancing. The excessive steering was happening randomly when I would get in the corner and star putting the power down mid corner, the car would do a 180 when I would ease on the throttle coming out of the corner. Here was the real odd part, with the inner and outer row of pins cut, the front end of the car would pick up the fronts at about a 35 degree angle on this small bump on the front straight.

My thought is with the diffs, the car rolls great so I do not suspect bearings. I did notices when I rebuilt the diff that the car had some shims installed behind the spider gears, and I looked at the manual and noticed that the 8ight should not have any shims in the diffs? Is this correct? I have tried the exact combo of P5 and setup on another persons 8ight and it did not have the issues this 8ight has.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
Hey jammin

heres a few things to try

change the rear chamber link to 4B or 4C also go to -3 or -4 degrees chamber. this will slow the rear rotation down a little

go back up to 2000 in the rear diff as your rear diff sounds like it is unloading to much off power

go to a thicker oil in the rear shocks- this will help settle the rear of the buggy after landing -also a lighter oil will increase traction rolling problems

give those changes a try 1 at a time and see how you go

Adrian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.