Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1RC_ROOKIE
Nice pics, looks good.

I run the OS speed .21 in my 8ight. Im thinking of switching to the ninja for next season. How do you like the ninja .21??

Alot of debating on the forum, Whats the word guys?? is there gonna be a revised Nitro eight coming out??

I just sold mine and i wanna wait to buy a another 8ight. Not until i know for sure that Losi wont put out a WC edition 8 or whateve.??

Danman.
the ninja has been really good to me so far , i got about a gallon on it already and it gets faster everytime i run it ., very easy to tune . temps about 220 after 7 min heat everytime , no complains so far , however i got
a brand new grp .21 tuned for next season
Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turboxrayt1fk05
here is another pix of my rig
Nice.

Can you tell me the difference in weight between the front spindles/carrier vs the plastic pieces?

I like the tuning option with the carrier, but not if it's heavier.

Good looking Losi, man.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Nice pics, looks good.

I run the OS speed .21 in my 8ight. Im thinking of switching to the ninja for next season. How do you like the ninja .21??

Alot of debating on the forum, Whats the word guys?? is there gonna be a revised Nitro eight coming out??

I just sold mine and i wanna wait to buy a another 8ight. Not until i know for sure that Losi wont put out a WC edition 8 or whateve.??

Danman.
For what it's worth....

I wrote to Losi and asked them directly if there was an 'update' or new buggy coming for the Worlds. They wrote me back the next morning with;

"We are always working on new projects, but nothing official at this time." (which is the same answer they gave Neobuggy in June/July)

I personally think the following happened (from what I've been reading)

Losi began plans to make the Oval 8ight. So they stopped the production/building of the "Pro Roller" and began making the Oval. News got out that production on the Rollers had stopped. Rumor 1.

Then Drake and Truhe began testing of the Electric 8ight. I don't know how someone could confuse the electric car with the nitro car, but the body DOES look different. It's more narrow in places - perhaps someone thought it was a new chassis/front end layout. Rumor 2.

Total speculation of course.

Perhaps Truhe was in fact testing a new front end for the 8ight. Dunno.

Anyway, from a business standpoint, it makes very little or NO sense to tool up a new buggy design when you have three models using the same chassis, drivetrain and suspension.

My guess is they'll bring out the newest offering for the next Worlds in 2010.

Then again; what do *I* know!? hehe
Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by boostfiend
For what it's worth....

I wrote to Losi and asked them directly if there was an 'update' or new buggy coming for the Worlds. They wrote me back the next morning with;

"We are always working on new projects, but nothing official at this time." (which is the same answer they gave Neobuggy in June/July)

I personally think the following happened (from what I've been reading)

Losi began plans to make the Oval 8ight. So they stopped the production/building of the "Pro Roller" and began making the Oval. News got out that production on the Rollers had stopped. Rumor 1.

Then Drake and Truhe began testing of the Electric 8ight. I don't know how someone could confuse the electric car with the nitro car, but the body DOES look different. It's more narrow in places - perhaps someone thought it was a new chassis/front end layout. Rumor 2.

Total speculation of course.

Perhaps Truhe was in fact testing a new front end for the 8ight. Dunno.

Anyway, from a business standpoint, it makes very little or NO sense to tool up a new buggy design when you have three models using the same chassis, drivetrain and suspension.

My guess is they'll bring out the newest offering for the next Worlds in 2010.

Then again; what do *I* know!? hehe

Thx,

That makes tons of sence, why would anyone make a another product on that platform just to change it in a couple of months. I think the Losi 8 is top notch in its current platform, would be nice though...

Dan
Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After doing some trading I am now the proud owner of 8ight buggy, that should go along nicely with the 8ight T I bought at the beginning of the season. I have not drove a buggy in over 3 years after switching over to the truggy class.

For anyone who has drove a 8ight-T knows that the box setup is a very good starting point, this is what I am looking for with the 8ight. I went to Losi's Site and found many different setups, I am thinking about starting with the race roller setup and working from there. I do have a few upgrade components that came with the car, it had aluminum chassis braces which I have put the plastic back on the car unless it needs the aluminum. I went ahead and put CVD condoms on the car as well. The buggy will be running a 03 Novarossi p5 in it, with long life shoes and green springs.

Any other tips you can give would be appreciated, by the looks of it the car is very simmilar to the 8ight-T and so far the 8ight-T has gave me very few issues. Hoping for the same out of the buggy!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Truhe setup is where most people start. You'll need the 3/3 rear toe block if you don't have it already. After that, most of the tweaking I've seen has been small changes in oil weight, ride height, etc. depending on the track.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Thx,

That makes tons of sence, why would anyone make a another product on that platform just to change it in a couple of months. I think the Losi 8 is top notch in its current platform, would be nice though...

Dan
All that said, they could still come out with a World Champ edition if they win the IFMAR - which they have a good shot.

That said, I imagine it would be the same buggy with a few Losi specific hop-ups.

If I run Losi again next year, I'll be buying another 8ight for spares. I really hope they don't change the design the day after I order.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cjtamu
The Truhe setup is where most people start. You'll need the 3/3 rear toe block if you don't have it already. After that, most of the tweaking I've seen has been small changes in oil weight, ride height, etc. depending on the track.
One nice thing about the team guys. They use very little hop-ups. Both Drake and Truhe don't even use the aluminum bearing inserts.

..but the aluminum adjustable pivot blocks are a must! Makes it very easy to change the front and rear of the car - somewhat - quickly.

I tried the 3/3 setup in the rear and am amazed at how much more aggresive the buggy became. Still getting used to it.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

All that said, they could still come out with a World Champ edition if they win the IFMAR - which they have a good shot.

That said, I imagine it would be the same buggy with a few Losi specific hop-ups.

If I run Losi again next year, I'll be buying another 8ight for spares. I really hope they don't change the design the day after I order.

Exactly, im in the same boat. I just sold my 8ight to a fellow racer,now im ready to order a fresh new kit to race next season, but i dont want to be S.O.L if a new or revised on comes out....I will wait. If didnt have a bunch of losi spare parts and losi starter box, i probibly would go over to the dark side with a 808. i doubt it......we will see.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Exactly, im in the same boat. I just sold my 8ight to a fellow racer,now im ready to order a fresh new kit to race next season, but i dont want to be S.O.L if a new or revised on comes out....I will wait. If didnt have a bunch of losi spare parts and losi starter box, i probibly would go over to the dark side with a 808. i doubt it......we will see.
To tempt you; The 808 fits the Losi box just fine - from what I hear.

Hehe...

The 808 truly looks like a good car, so much so that I've even given it some thought. It has a couple features that I would like to have, for sure. ...but so far, I'm being tempted the most by the Mp9.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

To tempt you; The 808 fits the Losi box just fine - from what I hear.

Hehe...

The 808 truly looks like a good car, so much so that I've even given it some thought. It has a couple features that I would like to have, for sure. ...but so far, I'm being tempted the most by the Mp9.
The 808 fits just fine on the Losi starter box, as my fellow racer with an 808 uses my Losi box from time to time. You just have to turn the front brace around for the 808.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bozzy
Hi Guys

Just wondering if you guys would mind posting a couple of pictures of your fuel lines & how you have them placed.
I have found with my cars that if i go straight from tank to carby it runs very rich at full tank then goes lean at almost empty??
I have run a longer hose lately & mounted it higher than the tank using a loop around mixture screw & it seems to be more consistent.
I have also gone to a much longer exhaust hose as well.
This has been the same for both truggy & buggy so i was just chasing ideas if possible.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for posting the pictures & for the information.
I turned out to be a too short exhaust pressure hose on both truggy & buggy
I finally got out to test changes
Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

This is a great forum. I have learned a lot. Just in the middle of building my first kit, first buggy. New to buggies and new to losi, not new to Monster Trucks or the hobby. This is my 2nd paint job. Next step, engine and servos. I'll go with the OS V Spec but haven't the slightest clue as to which (somewhat affordable) digital servos to go with my Futaba Spectrum system. Not in a rush but heres the pics anyways. Thanks for all the great info in the forum. I think I have almost read it all. HA HA. Ken
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-finished-8ight-019.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-finished-8ight-020.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-finished-8ight-022.jpg  
Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spooner
This is a great forum. I have learned a lot. Just in the middle of building my first kit, first buggy. New to buggies and new to losi, not new to Monster Trucks or the hobby. This is my 2nd paint job. Next step, engine and servos. I'll go with the OS V Spec but haven't the slightest clue as to which (somewhat affordable) digital servos to go with my Futaba Spectrum system. Not in a rush but heres the pics anyways. Thanks for all the great info in the forum. I think I have almost read it all. HA HA. Ken

Welcome to the world of buggies. If you plan well, you'll really enjoy yourself.

For servos, I've had really good luck so far with the Ace DS1313 servos. They are quick and strong enough for both duties on buggy.

If you want to stick with Futaba, I'd go with the BLS351 and BLS451. I plan on upgrading to the Futaba setup, just to have all Futaba gear.

Ace would run you about $150 for the pair whereas the Futabas will be about twice that.

Again welcome. If you have more questions, there are several here that will be happy to help ya get going. My only other words of advice would be "Always buy new." ... but that's just me.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Another Sunday and another Race day. The Losi performed flawlessly. Despite the engine being unfit for the job and the damn Losi Eclipse tires coming unglued now for the third race in a row, I managed to pull down some good lap times.

First round I finished just behind the leader

Second round I took a win

but the A-main was when the little OS VG engine just couldn't cut it. It just can't handle the abuse of racing. I knew this, so it wasn't a shocker. I still managed to place 5th, even after eating a flame out. Not too bad.

The Losi on the other hand just kept on truckin'. Every time I was calm and consistant, it did the same thing time after time. ...and when I pushed it, the 8ight came alive and responded in true Losi fashion.

It was the last points race, so I pushed it on the main and half expected something to give. ...something other than the OS engine. ...but the Losi just stood up and took it.

I've thought about replacing my 8ight, but after today; I really can't think of another buggy worthy to fill the space on my desk. Despite it's little issues, the Losi 8ight is a monster at the track. Next season I'll bring (perhaps a new version) the 8ight out with a new (read: worthy) engine and give the faster guys a run. Till then, it's going to be a LONG winter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.