R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #7696
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Perkins View Post
I dont think I will ever buy a Hitec servo again. Futaba, Airtronics or KO Propo most likely. I wasnt looking for specific servo #'s just min torque ratings. So you think 200 oz is enough? Both servos 200oz or just the steering? I have never run 1/8th before so this is new to me.

You don't have to get anything over 200oz, in fact guys like Drake are using much lower rated servos and doing just fine in buggy. (Airtronics 94360; rated at 125oz)

I've been running an Ace 1313 for steering and throttle duties. They are rated at 172oz, and that is in the 'overkill' category.

Ace makes good stuff, but Futaba and Airtronics are a cut above, for sure.
boostfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #7697
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks!
Here is my delema.
$445 to go brushless
$566 to go nitro
If you want to race, I'd go nitro all the way. There are no national electric 1/8 classes YET... I'm sure it's around the corner... but not yet. That may help your decision.

This hobby is only a money pit if you let it be. That said - buy the good stuff first. You'll be very happy.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #7698
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 240 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfiend View Post
You don't have to get anything over 200oz, in fact guys like Drake are using much lower rated servos and doing just fine in buggy. (Airtronics 94360; rated at 125oz)

I've been running an Ace 1313 for steering and throttle duties. They are rated at 172oz, and that is in the 'overkill' category.

Ace makes good stuff, but Futaba and Airtronics are a cut above, for sure.
That's kinda what i figured. KO's truggy servo is rated at 180 so I am sure thats more than enough. KO is usually pretty on with there servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfiend View Post
If you want to race, I'd go nitro all the way. There are no national electric 1/8 classes YET... I'm sure it's around the corner... but not yet. That may help your decision.

This hobby is only a money pit if you let it be. That said - buy the good stuff first. You'll be very happy.
I am not going to be going national just local so I think I will be ok with electric. coming from 1/10 buggy I already have every thing else I need.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #7699
Tech Addict

Quote:
That's kinda what i figured. KO's truggy servo is rated at 180 so I am sure thats more than enough. KO is usually pretty on with there servos.
Oh yeah! You'll have enough to pull small trees with that servo. hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Perkins
I am not going to be going national just local so I think I will be ok with electric. coming from 1/10 buggy I already have every thing else I need.
Electric is coming on strong and will be mainstream in racing before long. Nitro IS a lot of fun though... it's like mixing full scale racing with RC racing. There's nothing like it.

I've considered getting the stuff for electric just to test setups and practice. Then I'd be ready if classes open up on a much larger scale. Either way - keep the rubber side down!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #7700
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Fred

I've been running a bls351 on steering and a bls451 on throttle. I'd say anything close or over 150 your good to go on steering and any thing close to 100 is good for throttle. The nice thing bout those servos is if you happen to strip the plastic gear it $6 for a 5 pack and they take the same gear.....

BTW where you move to?
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #7701
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
Fred

I've been running a bls351 on steering and a bls451 on throttle. I'd say anything close or over 150 your good to go on steering and any thing close to 100 is good for throttle. The nice thing bout those servos is if you happen to strip the plastic gear it $6 for a 5 pack and they take the same gear.....

BTW where you move to?
Hey ron,
I see that your part of pantheon motorsports so you know who andy and mike are and you have been to the bowl... Were do you race at for off road??? i was just wondering if you race at blue diamond so when i get my 8ight if i could get some set-up help. It's my first time ever having an offroad rc car (unless you count a mini-t) and i have no idea what to do when it comes to setting them up.
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #7702
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
Fred

BTW where you move to?
Havent moved yet. Will be moving in Feb/March of 09. Moving to Charleston SC.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #7703
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta bob View Post
Hey ron,
I see that your part of pantheon motorsports so you know who andy and mike are and you have been to the bowl... Were do you race at for off road??? i was just wondering if you race at blue diamond so when i get my 8ight if i could get some set-up help. It's my first time ever having an offroad rc car (unless you count a mini-t) and i have no idea what to do when it comes to setting them up.

Yes Andy and Major are good friends of mine. I run off road at hobby hut and t&l. I might come down to blue diamond sometime just not sure when. If you need any help feel free to PM me and I'll try to help the best I can.

Ron
Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #7704
Tech Master

Quote:
Havent moved yet. Will be moving in Feb/March of 09. Moving to Charleston SC.
oh cool I wasn't sure when you were moving but I remember hearing about in from Regal. You running at pit stops. I really want to get there before the end of the season.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #7705
Tech Champion

Not sure. Kinda staying local.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #7706
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jrr102486 Send a message via Yahoo to jrr102486

hey if anyone is wondering, here is an update on my senior projrect for college. i finally have the chassis done to a point that i can start putting pieces into the final assembly. check it out!

Last edited by jrr102486; 12-09-2009 at 09:15 PM.
jrr102486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #7707
Tech Initiate

any body got a link to the captured steering rod ends?
Old 08-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #7708
Tech Rookie

are these what you are asking about?

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=7352
redthumper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #7709
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have a race roller and still running the race roller setup. I have ran the kit 4 times and now the front end seems really, really loose/soft dampering and bottoms out alot. What is best to do 1st? - Shock Oil, Pistons, Springs?
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #7710
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
I have a race roller and still running the race roller setup. I have ran the kit 4 times and now the front end seems really, really loose/soft dampering and bottoms out alot. What is best to do 1st? - Shock Oil, Pistons, Springs?

Springs first. If it's too bouncy, increase dampening.

You must run a REAL bumpy track!