Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
Got a losi 8 buggy kit, has the little kinks been worked out, or is there anyhting i Have to watch for??? What about that battery box screw being to long issue?? any tips would be appreciated.. Thanx.
in addition to what boostfiend posted with the Radio Tray Install Addendum, I cut a piece of lexan the size of the battery box, and laid it flat between the battery and the foam inside the box. With this, batteries are much less susceptible to being damaged from the screw and mounting boss. But as long as you don't over-tighten that screw as the addendum states, you're good.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Thanx guys, i looked threw the box and didnt get a radio tray addendum, just a 4 page spread seperatly about adjusting your radio linkage correctly..LOL.. Thanx for that link..
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeFriery
a question for anyone that has used skid plates :

Im thinking of putting a skid plate on my car that has about 1.5-2 mm worn off the chassis already. If i put a new diff case on the rear, it will stick out 1-2 mm, are the skid plates hollowed out where the diff case sits? Will the diff case sticking out prevent the skid plate from sitting properly against the chassis?
What skid plates are you looking at getting? Have you checked out these ones? http://www.phpbbplanet.com/losi8ight...orum=losi8ight
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Does Losi sell the body that comes with the 8ight Roller (pre-trimmed)?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
Thanx guys, i looked threw the box and didnt get a radio tray addendum, just a 4 page spread seperatly about adjusting your radio linkage correctly..LOL.. Thanx for that link..
that's the addendum. You shouldn't have any probs as long as you set the EPA correctly. Enjoy the kit.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
that's the addendum. You shouldn't have any probs as long as you set the EPA correctly. Enjoy the kit.
there are 2 addendum's, one for the brake/throttle linkage that i got, and for for the actual radio tray for the screw being to long, which i didnt get, but someonve posted the link previously for me.. LOL.. have to love addendums...
Old 08-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

So are you guys running 2 or 3 degrees of rear toe? Any reasons why? I'm running 2 now, but when I get the adjustable braces I want to try 3.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Went to a hobby shop today looking to get a new Losi 8 and I was told the the buggy has a problem striping the rear pinion gear how do i keep it from doing that as when I jump I always land on the gas. Also what other problems are there with the buggy?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I've made my decision in going with losi 8 to convert to BL. Now how is the build of the losi 8, any flaws? also what parts/hop ups should i be looking at. This will be my first 1/8
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

3 degrees of rear toe for me. Stable on the straights and I can get plenty of steering with other adjustments. By all means try different toe settings. Change it for each track. Find out what works for you. Most adjustments are simple to make and you can always change them back.

Black--No problem with the rear ring and pinion. Get the aluminum rear diff inserts to prevent the plastic stock ones from wearing out. The plastic ones usually last a gallon or two before needing changed.

I also suggest a quick change engine mount, aluminum servo saver top piece, use loctite on the servo saver nut, aluminum steering servo horn, extra foam or piece of lexan in the bottom of the battery box, and keep an eye on the INNER hinge pin covers-these can be replaced with aluminum ones or with Losi adjustable hinge pin plates.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackscale
Went to a hobby shop today looking to get a new Losi 8 and I was told the the buggy has a problem striping the rear pinion gear how do i keep it from doing that as when I jump I always land on the gas. Also what other problems are there with the buggy?
I have one of the first kits from a 2.5 years ago and I'm still on my original gears! Never heard of that issue? The only problems I had consistently, were the diff housings wearing out and bending the rear outer hing pins. Since, Losi has come out with the best thing ever, "HD Diff Housings" Now you can rest assured and not worry about your diffs locking up. Other than those 2 things I cant complain.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Yes, sometimes the eight's do throw a rear pinion gear. This is caused by the rear pinion bearing giving up. To stop this I change my rear pinion bearing every 3 meets, that way it is always a nice fresh bearing
Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

In the market for a new motor for my newly built 8B. I have a RB 2045 pipe from my previous C6 so I was planning on getting a WS7T L2G that seems to be a better match for a light buggy over the C6. But then there's the OS Speed AL. Problem is, I don't really have a pipe for it. For those that have tried the WS7 and the Speed on a 8B, is the Speed really superior?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I have an S5 and a WS7 and I very much prefer those motors over my V-Spec. Not sure about the Speed, but the powerband on my RBs is much wider than my OS. The OS feels very "peaky" in comparison.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions??

Hey guys quick question. I just picked up a new 8ight RTR and I did a complete tear down on it to inspect everything and there is one thing I had noticed about the diffs, the rear ring and pinion spins nice and butter smooth now however when I checked the front ring and pinion on how it spins the best way I can describe it feels notchy when i turn it not smooth at all. Is this something that will disappear after it breaks in. I inspected the parts and they looked fine. Any awswers greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.