Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

thanks for the help guys
Two mor questions
1. What springs are a good place to start. I have silver all around right know but i see alot of guys running greens in the rear
2. Are the mud flaps effective, i mean are they worth getting
Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I use the stock springs that came with my 8ight pro kit and the setup is really good...I pretty much copied Mike Truhe's setup.

I made my own mud guards and they work great...keep the rear driveline cleaner than if you didn't have them on. It doesn't affect my buggy at all in the handling department so why not install them. I also have a set on my
8ight T.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I too used to have an OS RG in my old TTR S3 buggy and loved it. The OS RG had enough power for a sportsman buggy (weekend racer) and it idled like a champ. Definitely nice to have the OS reliability! Wish I never sold the buggy with the RG

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Crewman, here's a shot of my car with the Jconcepts Illuzion body on. Not sure the profile is any lower than the stocker, but it fits very well, and I've always liked the roof scoop on the Illuzion. Another shot with the body off just for grins. And yeah, for you old guys, that's a brand new OS RG on it, LOL.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
thanks for the help guys
Two mor questions
1. What springs are a good place to start. I have silver all around right know but i see alot of guys running greens in the rear
As far as setup goes I'd recommend use Mike Truhe setup to the tee.

mud flaps are worth it cause it keeps the rear suspension from getting all nasty. Really helps on the pipe side....

moto431 try using this clutch, run the losi long life aluminum shoes with two greens and two silver springs.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
thanks for the help guys
Two mor questions
its best to run softer front spring than rear.. and more oil weight in rear because there is more weight going on rear wheels during driving. and it also helps with cornering but depends on the track condition.. mine shows siff setup because of last track was smooth with BIG jumps and some small with sharp lip.

2. the dust guards in rear is very effctive and worth it because of front tires spins rocks, derbits etc into rear can damage the shock rod, rear driveshafts, rock lock up in between the shaft and lower arm. Plus also when the track is muddy, it helps not clog up the rear hubs, shock, and shaft.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirtyDezPirate
its best to run softer front spring than rear.. and more oil weight in rear because there is more weight going on rear wheels during driving. and it also helps with cornering but depends on the track condition.. mine shows siff setup because of last track was smooth with BIG jumps and some small with sharp lip.

2. the dust guards in rear is very effctive and worth it because of front tires spins rocks, derbits etc into rear can damage the shock rod, rear driveshafts, rock lock up in between the shaft and lower arm. Plus also when the track is muddy, it helps not clog up the rear hubs, shock, and shaft.
If your track as some nice jumps you might want to reverse your oil spring set up. The most common, generally accepted setup sheets show the opposite as well....
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Stiff springs and heavy oil in the rear of a car will slow the weight transfer and the car will tend to be loose on-power on tracks with med or less bite. It will also make the rear end bounce around on bumpy tracks. Look at the setups on the Losi site, they all show a soft spring and low oil weights with small hole pistons in the rear on bumpy and/or dusty tracks. And heavier oil with bigger hole pistons on smoother tracks with more bite. Very smooth, high bite tracks you may go to a stiffer spring, thicker sway bar, etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

boy, do I feel dumb. You guys were right, the mounts are adjustable (duh, did not even check), and open up enough for the engine to go in. Thanks again! can't wait till break-in and driving
Old 07-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thought that was it glad you got it going bud.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

I've been using the spektrum DX3R for a few months now and was thinking of going back to the airtronics m11 using crystals is this a bad move? What do you guys think about the DX3R
Old 07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kolorking25
I've been using the spektrum DX3R for a few months now and was thinking of going back to the airtronics m11 using crystals is this a bad move? What do you guys think about the DX3R
Going back to crystals ? Heck no IMO . Going Spektrum was one of the best things I have ever spent money on and will never go back to messing around with crystals and frequency clips and the hassles of that .

Are you having a problem and is why you are thinking of doing this ?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Initiate

not having a problem just never felt quite right maby it's just in my head
Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've actually starting using a Spektrum DX3-R since my M11 died, and I really like it. Going from the heaviest radio to the lightest was a trip tho!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
Going back to crystals ? Heck no IMO . Going Spektrum was one of the best things I have ever spent money on and will never go back to messing around with crystals and frequency clips and the hassles of that .

Are you having a problem and is why you are thinking of doing this ?
+1 Crystals are just a pain in the a$$
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

you guys seem to know what your talking about so i'll keep using it for awhile and see what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.