R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #7216
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Lars Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzza99 View Post
Hi peeps. Ive got another droop question. For a rough open track what shock length do you guys in the states run, and where do you measure from. I have truhes set up sheet from last year sometime and it says 95mm front and 106.5 back but is that overall shock length or from centre of top and bottom screw?????????? Thanks in advance for any answers
Measure from the Center of the top shock mount, to the center of the shock-end ball. It's easier with the shock on the car - center of the Nut that holds the top in place, to the center of the button-head screw that holds the bottom in place, then adjust the droop screw. Calipers with the pointy edge work well.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #7217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks guys. What inserts for the XBTs are you guys using. I believe the stock losi foams are a bit too soft.
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #7218
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ofna yellow, red or proline grey

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #7219
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
If I need more steering out/less in I'll let the front go full droop and reduce droop on the rear.

hey Air sorry to correct you but I think you have it back to front

if you want more steering on power you need to decrease your droop (wind the set screw in more) to keep the weight from transfering to the rear of the buggy .

if you want more off power steering you increase the droop (loosen the set screw) to allow weight transfer to the front under decelleration.

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #7220
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Uhhh.... My bad. It's hard to keep all that stuff straight when thinking about indoor high traction and outdoor looser tracks. I get mixed up when going from one track to the next.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #7221
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Uhhh.... My bad. It's hard to keep all that stuff straight when thinking about indoor high traction and outdoor looser tracks. I get mixed up when going from one track to the next.
No worries Air

I know the feeling and to boot some a$$ bandit sent a PM to me and now my pc is playin up -great what ever you do don't open any video link PM's

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #7222
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am wanting to change my diff fluid in my 8IGHT Race Roller. Am I correct that the Race Roller has F 3000 C 5000 R 2000? & the Non-Roller is F 5000 C 7000 R2000??? I was looking at changing the Fluid to F 5000 C 10000 R 3000. Does it take much to take the front and rear diffs off the chassis?
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #7223
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
I am wanting to change my diff fluid in my 8IGHT Race Roller. Am I correct that the Race Roller has F 3000 C 5000 R 2000? & the Non-Roller is F 5000 C 7000 R2000??? I was looking at changing the Fluid to F 5000 C 10000 R 3000. Does it take much to take the front and rear diffs off the chassis?
I take the top plate off of the front of the car then the 4 screws holding the front assembly to the chassis. The back I take the 4 screws out of the chassis and the 2 screws out of the brace on the bottom of the chassis. then you take the 4 screws out of the back of the case, and open them up. Takes like 5 min a piece.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #7224
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
I take the top plate off of the front of the car then the 4 screws holding the front assembly to the chassis. The back I take the 4 screws out of the chassis and the 2 screws out of the brace on the bottom of the chassis. then you take the 4 screws out of the back of the case, and open them up. Takes like 5 min a piece.
Sweet, alot easier than I thought it would be. Was I right about the 2 having different weight oils?
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #7225
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
Sweet, alot easier than I thought it would be. Was I right about the 2 having different weight oils?

Oh ya sorry the kit has 5k/7k/2k and the roller has 3k/5k/2k
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #7226
Tech Initiate

Default Shock oil help...

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to Nitro RCs. Had to find a new hobby since my last one almost killed me. Got hit by a car last year riding my Harley and lost my leg below the knee on the left. Jumped into RCs with a Revo 3.3 and a Lois 8ight RTR. My 8ight seems to be leaking shock oil. I tightened the one in question up and it seems to be alright. Thinking ahead, what weight should I use in the shocks and how often should I change the oil in them? I use both buggy and truck a few times a week but not to race. Unfortunately no tracks anywhere near where I live. Let me know what you think about both vehicles as far as the oil filled shock maintenance. Thanks!
Runaway Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #7227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ss View Post
guys i have the RTR version...i know it comes with greese in the diffs and im swapn over to fluid...the track i run at is prob considerd a small track wit some tight turns....what do u recommend i run??? i was just gunna go wit the kit fliuds...
Try 3/5/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway Jim View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to Nitro RCs. Had to find a new hobby since my last one almost killed me. Got hit by a car last year riding my Harley and lost my leg below the knee on the left. Jumped into RCs with a Revo 3.3 and a Lois 8ight RTR. My 8ight seems to be leaking shock oil. I tightened the one in question up and it seems to be alright. Thinking ahead, what weight should I use in the shocks and how often should I change the oil in them? I use both buggy and truck a few times a week but not to race. Unfortunately no tracks anywhere near where I live. Let me know what you think about both vehicles as far as the oil filled shock maintenance. Thanks!
You might have the old black shock orings. Replace them with white orings when you rebuild the shocks. The RTR needs 40wt all around.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #7228
Tech Initiate

hey, thanks for the tip on the white orings for the losi 8ight shocks. i'll order some today. as far as the shock oil weight i just bought some 30 weight oil. what's the difference between the weights? if i'm not racing with the rig will it be alright to use the 30 or should i just return it and get some 40 and call it a day? How do I know when the shocks need to be rebuilt? Sorry about all of these questions. They're probably no brainers to all of you guys but to me, it's all new. Thanks again!!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #7229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Get the 40wt, the pistons in the RTR shocks have big holes and the 30 wt will be to thin. For playing you will only need to change the shock oil every 2 gallons of fuel or so.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #7230
Tech Initiate

ok. i haven't opened the 30 yet so i'll return it. as for the white o-rings, is there a specific brand or kit you'd recommend for the 8ight shocks? thanks again for the help. i appreciate it!!!