Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #6916
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up Front end changes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed View Post
I understand about the gearing, its the nose digging into the ground that I am indicating.
We moved the arms forward 3mm and allowed the spindle carriers to move forward 1/8th if an inch. It is all optional and can be moved back at any time. What is funny is how close the new Xray arms look like our modified parts we have been running for months.

Sure Truhe and Drake can perfect backside everytime but the one time they don't the car will dig in. Look back for the pics I have posted of this. It is intresting to realize how much you have to let off to get the car to jump and land perfect. Now we get the nose down without worry and just pull the trigger.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #6917
Tech Master

Cool True...Truhe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Y-Rock View Post
You lost me with the "nose digging" comment. I video taped Truhe at Silver State and his nose wasn't digging into the ground. Matter of fact he beat a couple of Associated cars that weekend. This is an interesting topic and I'm excited to see what Losi will change next. But the proof is in the results. Losi has won a lot of races lately. Saying that the car is broke and getting passed by just isn't true. One thing I'm concerned about with the truggy gears is that the drive train will be spinnning 30% faster to achieve the same speed because of the three less teeth on the pinions in the diff case. It's common to wear the front center cv joint with the stock ratio. This new ratio you're suggesting will put a lot more stress on the drive train. I guess you'll need to keep a bunch of front center bones if you do the switch. Plus, running a different manufacture's clutch bell doesn't appeal to me.
The Associated cars are some of the worse for the front end geometry. Surprisingly, the Sportworks are the best by far. Kyosho was the best in the racing stuff until now. The Xray now has the best of both worlds. Losi is winning. Sure. But they would have their hands full if the other drivers were driving this new breed of cars. This is what my fear is at the Worlds.

How fast do you think this drive train is spinning when it is in a truck or it has to be used to get those big wheels turning? It is the same. That is why you run the big clutch bell on the buggy.
If I could get a large CB or lower tooth count spur from Losi I would do it in an instant. I love their clutch.
This setup made all of my 8 min motors into 10 min motors and the car is just easier to drive. The key is how much energy the spinning drive trian retains when the car is rolling. Now the engine just recovers its RPMs. It does not have to push its RPMs to get back up to speed. However, when you need it, you have a passing gear.
Actually, it puts less stress on the drive train except for the more revolutions the center front pin sees. I have a pin tool and have gotten in the habit of repinning them anyways. Any car that has the off set center diff will see these issues.
Every person that I know has absolutely loved the way the car drives. With my skill level (if you call it that...) I need something I can run a long main with while using very little energy. I'm old. I need all I can get against these young guys.
U going to be at the Nats? Look me up if so.
I'll be in the out of towners tent.
TEX
Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #6918
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
The last guys that thought that was a good idea was Mugen, Kyosho and OFNA. What happened to them when the 8ight came out? You could hardly give them away.
This stuff is outside the box. Associated figured out how to do it. Once everyone else does it are you just going to sit still?
No... you will be in the back of the pack with a car that has a nose that digs into rough stuff while the others are flying through without a care, a gear ratio that is harder to drive and uses more fuel and a servo saver that was not designed right in the first place.
It is broke! Either fix it or move to another car. If you do not you will get passed by.
I can't stand it so I fixed mine and am more than happy with the results. Funny thing is my car is just like the new Xray 808. They saw the issues.
TEX
<---- Not done yet.
Untill you can prove faster more consistant laptimes and proof of longer time on the track between fuel stops all you are doing is saying the stuff is designed wrong.

Drake, Truthe and the rest of the team are still winning with the originally designed aginst the "better designed" cars. To me on that level of driving you have to have the best to have a chance to win and it dosent seem that they are "at the back of the pack"
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #6919
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

How fast do you think this drive train is spinning when it is in a truck or it has to be used to get those big wheels turning? It is the same.
TEX
No it's not the same because of the difference in wheel diameter. You've taken a truggy transmission and added a bigger clutchbell to compensate for a smaller tire. Therefore, with this set up that you've created in your buggy, your tranny is spinning way faster than the stock truggy tranny. Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult, but I guess I'll just agree to disagree on this one.

I got 99 problems, but a b!#ch ain't one!
Geo Y-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #6920
Tech Master

Red face I don't know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
Untill you can prove faster more consistant laptimes and proof of longer time on the track between fuel stops all you are doing is saying the stuff is designed wrong.
I have proven this. I race twice a week and the lap times and consistancy have improved by a good margin. All of our locals are taking note at the difference as well. You can simply be out of line a little and still square up and hit the jump with confidence. You don't need to pull the trigger all the way and wheel spin is reduced greatly. This is personal preference.
I have posted pics of the front end on this site. I just thought you guys would like to know what is being looked at on this chassis as well as others in the industry. Is it designed wrong? If it digs in and the car next to it does not, is it wrong or is it just a flaw you live with? At the RC Pro Series final this was very apparent when the track was blown out.
The servo saver is a joke on its own. The Ackermann plate is not designed to move vertical on one end (when the servo saver gives) while the other end is held stationary at the same height. Guess what? Designed wrong.

Drake, Truthe and the rest of the team are still winning with the originally designed aginst the "better designed" cars. To me on that level of driving you have to have the best to have a chance to win and it dosent seem that they are "at the back of the pack"
At this time, the only car designed better is the 808. They obviously took a long hard look at the Losi and made a few very good improvments. The front end, gearing and servo savers are all there. There are still minor issues to deal with but the results are stunning. RC America is right here in Dallas and these guys are learning every week and getting faster and faster. Our local Losi drivers used to run away and hide. Not any more!

Drake and Truhe are among the best in the business! The Ryans and Tebo are right there with them as well as Maifield. When other cars catch up, and being a Worlds year I believe they will, there will be quite a few other drivers up there as well. Hughes, Pavidis, Degani, Wheeler and some outsiders. We'll see.
Just sharing my findings. That's all.
BTW - I do design products for a living. I don't believe in stating or posting something as fact based on what would only be speculation. That is not really fair to anyone spending their time here on the forum.
Go watch a good 808 run and you will see how my car has been since the finals last year. Now if I could just drive like the Drake!

TEX
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #6921
Tech Master

Thumbs up You know... thats true....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Y-Rock View Post
No it's not the same because of the difference in wheel diameter. You've taken a truggy transmission and added a bigger clutchbell to compensate for a smaller tire. Therefore, with this set up that you've created in your buggy, your tranny is spinning way faster than the stock truggy tranny. Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult, but I guess I'll just agree to disagree on this one.
I saw this when the Associated Factory guys were running at the Futaba race last year. They could do things with their car that was unbelievable acceleration wise. I sat down and figured their gear ratios and applied them to the Losi buggy. BAMMM! What a difference.
Sure it is spinning faster. It does not slow down as quick either. That is how the energy seems stored for when you are ready to come out of the corner. Any wheel rolling speed is amplified by the drive train spinning faster.
It is different. It is a different thought process completely. Tuned properly, it is the best and single most significant thing I have seen on my Losi.
It is not my new tech. It was adapted from the RC8. But it sure does work well.
Keep in mind, all of the guys with these ratios (RC8 and 808) are toning them down. It seems they always end up between the low 11.2 to the 11.4 overall. I run 11.22.
Thinking about it.... You are right. The truggys drive train would be spinning slower due to the large wheels carring the same ground speed.
Hummmm.....
Later,
TEX
Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #6922
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
At this time, the only car designed better is the 808. They obviously took a long hard look at the Losi and made a few very good improvments. The front end, gearing and servo savers are all there. There are still minor issues to deal with but the results are stunning. RC America is right here in Dallas and these guys are learning every week and getting faster and faster. Our local Losi drivers used to run away and hide. Not any more!

Drake and Truhe are among the best in the business! The Ryans and Tebo are right there with them as well as Maifield. When other cars catch up, and being a Worlds year I believe they will, there will be quite a few other drivers up there as well. Hughes, Pavidis, Degani, Wheeler and some outsiders. We'll see.
BTW - I do design products for a living. I don't believe in stating or posting something as fact based on what would only be speculation. That is not really fair to anyone spending their time here on the forum.
Go watch a good 808 run and you will see how my car has been since the finals last year. Now if I could just drive like the Drake!

TEX
can you repost the picturs of this front end mod you are talking about. I check this thread daily and I dont remiember seeing it. Also, I guess it comes down to the throtal control for the gearing thing. I am running the 50t spur with 13t bell in both truggy and buggy and I can come arround a corner and get no wheel spin and still make jumps. It's all in the finger pulling the trigger.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #6923
Tech Adept

Quote:

TEX
Tex I sent a PM
cota348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #6924
Tech Initiate

tex1 whats the gear ratio your looking for? I would like to try the truggy gear setup but I want to keep my losi clutch so i was wondering what i could run to get as close as possible to what your running
thanks
larry
Camberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #6925
Tech Master

Red face It would be very difficult.....

The best overall I have found is the 11.22:1. To get this I had to go to an 18clutch bell. Losi only makes up to a 16. This is the problem.

You will not be anywhere close to something you would want to use if you use a 16 CB. 16 to the 46 Muggy spur is as close as possible.
It is 2.875 x 4.3 (truck internal gears) = 12.36.
Stock with a 13T CB to the 48 is 3.692 x 3.307 (stock internal gearing) = 12.21
It is even higher than the stock gearing. I tried this but it blew the tires off the rims.
Sorry.
TEX
Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #6926
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'll put my Losi 8ight up against any car, anytime. Just don't get mad at me when you get smoked!
Cory B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #6927
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to omaha_racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory B View Post
I'll put my Losi 8ight up against any car, anytime. Just don't get mad at me when you get smoked!
What setup are you using?
omaha_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #6928
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up New 8ight buggy KIT

Wow I think I'm X eye'd form all the reading on this buggy I've Raced my 8-T for two seasons without any trouble what so ever!! knock on wood!! and now I'm shelfing the Jammin for the Losi I've (used O-rings and servo gromets and Xtream radio tray stiffner and cut the spring and re alined the carb, Servos XP1313 173 oz throtle brake and 1015 201.4 oz for steering and used fule tubing on the pull side for the linkage two hair rubber's for the T return) ???

I'm the only one with the 8-T and now one other guy has a losi 8 buggy kit V he has only done the O-ring mod or fix and has had no trouble I'm just knot as trusting ??

any help on setup would be awsome if it looks like I've misted something !!

Thanks and wish me luck Opening day of our pro series is in one week and I'm running my 8ight's
Airtronics M-11 O.S. Engine's Trinity Engine's
Swing C.O. Division of Empty wallet Racing.
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #6929
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this might be waaay out there, but has anyone ever thought of using bigger/smaller ring gears front or back to produce an "overgear" or "undergear" effect?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #6930
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
this might be waaay out there, but has anyone ever thought of using bigger/smaller ring gears front or back to produce an "overgear" or "undergear" effect?
Not sure of what other ring gears would fit though? If there were options I'm sure people would have tried. I think the buggy/truggy ring gears are the only option and they're the same tooth count. Do you know of other ring gears that would fit?

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote