R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #676
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default King Headz

Everywhere I have read to use the 4 alum. shoes with two different springs. Some guys are getting like 3 gallons on the shoes because they don't wear out. I have not run them because I am currently running my left over Jammin clutch. I had two unuesed 7075 alum Jammin shoes and they least ALONG time. So it is safe to say 4 will last longer. When I use up the Jammin stuff I will be running the King Headz.

Back to the throttle problem. I am still leaning toward heat as a main factor. ALL of the heat isn't just from the motor case. Have you ever felt the bottom of a chassis after a run??? pretty hot. The throttle servo is next to the motor, the brakes, and sits low to the chassis... ALL of which comtribute to the heat.. Just my .02
the buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #677
Tech Elite

The more I think about it, the less I want to blame heat for the problems.

Oh well, we'll come up with something.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #678
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Aaron, where can I get Adams set-up? I've been running the stock set-up with good results but I could use more stearing and beleive it or not it likes to ride wheelies especialy on the faces of the jumps .....so I'm ready to try something new I just don't know where his set-up is posted..... Thanks in advance!
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #679
Tech Adept

Default set up

RC car mag has four very good set ups on their web site

http://www.rc-car.com/ME2/Default.asp
the buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #680
Tech Elite

Steve - The setups on R/C Car's website are all pretty close, and that's right about what I'm running.

If you need more steering, try less front droop. I think more rear droop will help that also.

My car will wheelie as well...I don't think it's a bad thing unless you have to let off the throttle.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #681
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Talking

Man, this car seems plagued with problems. It's fast, but at what cost? I'm getting a Kyosho.
Two-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #682
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-speed
Man, this car seems plagued with problems. It's fast, but at what cost? I'm getting a Kyosho.
That is so not true! Yes, its new and there are a few bugs, but all the bugs are easily exterminated! I would not label the car as plagued with problems. Good luck with the Kyosho, its a good car too.
ridgewaybodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #683
Tech Champion

The ONLY real problem I've had is the throttle servos. I fixed the brake cam binding with the twist of two screws. I've heard of the shock issue, but that can be fixed very easily, by simply giving the locktite time to dry. AFAIK, these are the only common issues, and in time, we'll get the thottle servo issue figured out.

This car is awsome, and though my experience with it is a mere month, I can tell you it's been through the ringer, and come out on top. It's durable, fast, and serves its intended purpose, racing, very well.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #684
Tech Regular

i don't have the losi but this is just a question as i have a friend building one, i have heard the issue of the piston screw coming loose if you don't let the lock tight dry, but that could cause problems if your rebuilding at the track, so my question is, could you maybe red locktight in a long grub screw and use a nylok nut like the other cars or would that cause a problem with the bladder, thanks guys.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #685
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42
i don't have the losi but this is just a question as i have a friend building one, i have heard the issue of the piston screw coming loose if you don't let the lock tight dry, but that could cause problems if your rebuilding at the track, so my question is, could you maybe red locktight in a long grub screw and use a nylok nut like the other cars or would that cause a problem with the bladder, thanks guys.
I just sprayed carb cleaner on the screw and inside the shock shaft, blew it off with air, applied the loctite and assembled the shocks. I didn't wait over night or anything and mine have been fine after a gallon or so.

-Seann
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #686
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layedbackguy
Just asking, and im sure this has beed asked in this thread somewhere, but with the king headz alum shoes, do you run all 4 alum, or just 2 alum, and 2 carbs? And if so, what springs should be used? I have only run my Losi in a 1 5min Quil. and a 10min, and they still look good. Im trying to get it together early for next race season.

Thanks Guys!
My stock clutch was smoked after just breaking in the engine and one race. I got the King Headz 7075 shoes and rebuilt the clutch with two new losi carbon shoes and two 7075 shoes. I put lighter springs than the stock setup. I belive that was the reason for smoking the clutch in the first place. I went with Black on the carbon and Gold on the Aluminum (I think, I'm tearing it down Sunday and will check and make sure)

I then went to a two day race a couple weeks ago. The clutch worked perfectly!!!! No more sky high engagement and it was nice and smooth. Had some bad luck in Quals. I DNS'd the first qual with a fried steering servo in warmup and DNS'd the second qual with a broken rod end on the steering, still can't figure that one out, I just tapped the boards, but it was realy cold that weekend and I'm blaming it on the cold plastic. Out of 63 1/8 scales, and using qual points that put me dead last in the "G" main, I bumped all the way to the "B" and finished 3rd. I ran 4 lower mains at 15 minutes each and the 30 minute "B".

With an hour and a half of Mains, the clutch worked flawlessly. I'll see if I can take some pics when I tear it down to check the wear on Sunday.

Over all I LOVE THIS CAR, and can't wait for My 8T
1 Xtreme R/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #687
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

use loctite blue 242 just make sure to clean screw threads and threads inside shock shaft w/ motor spray. hardware in all steel black oxide screws have rust prev. coating. loctite (CURES in the absence of air) in about 3 min.once you have loctited ANYTHING do not try to adjust or tighten threads because you will break BOND and the only thing holding screw will be interference in threads w/ dried loctite.this concludes loctite class 101.
philc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #688
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-speed
You are welcome to come to our track to try your new car out. Have fun.

(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #689
Tech Elite

Two-speed - ALL new cars have problems. For the sheer volume of 8IGHTs sold in a short time, the issues are very minor and will be easy to address. There is no denying the quality of the kit itself and its on-track prowess is second to none.

If you must justify the purchase of another kit by bashing this one, go ahead...but I'm not sure anyone on this thread will be listening.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #690
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you look at the current top offroad teams (electric) they are Losi and Associated. Losi is now in 1/8th scale and AE will be soon. They will be the power house of all offroad when that happens. Both in electric have great designs and parts are durable. There may be a few bugs right now, but trust me pretty soon when your looking in magazines you will see results full of those two teams. If you want to buy another brand that is your choice, but I would at least give this time.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote