Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Somebody mentioned it might be the servos...nope, I pulled those exact same servos from my Mayhem, 6 months old, no issues. I've run the same servos in several other cars, R40s, NTC3s, XXX-Ts, and a PRP 8th scale on road car, no problems. I later dropped a couple brand new servos in there, and they just fried. Mechanically they seem to be fine. If you read back, you'll see that my EPA was ALWAYS set correctly. I too cut the throttle return spring down. I really don't think it's the servos, unless I had a run of bad luck, in which case, I'm not alone. I won't waste $100 on servos, if I had, I'd have a couple hundred dollars in broken parts...

I'm sure we'll figure this out, there are several people working on the problem. I won't hold Losi responsable until I'm certain it's a design flaw.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Chad - Give it six months of being beaten by 8IGHTs and you might reconsider

You don't have to cut the spring on the throttle linkage. Set your brake linkage to have more brake and you won't have to use as much brake EPA to get your brakes to engage. This means the throttle linkage spring won't have to collapse as far. Tah-dah! No coil bind.

I'd like to think that my car was set up correctly. If my dad couldn't get it right then it's not fair to think a new hobbyist is going to be able to without making a few mistakes. That makes me think the problem is not linkage or EPA related.

Everyone that has had a servo fail, how did it go? Did it work intermittently before it finally went out? Did it just stop working mid-run? Did the problems start when you turned the switch on for a run? Did the servo start working again after it cooled off?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The first 3 died pretty suddenly, during a run(makes me think heat), and the last one to die, did go intermitantly. I knew what was up as soon as it started. That was the one I pulled out imediatly, and noticed how hot it was. I haven't tried any of them since. I planned to send at least one of them back in. The others were either not up to the task from the get-go(standard airplane servo), or just old(6 months is kind of a short life, but it did spend 6 months in my Mayhem).
Old 11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

I had a buddy eating servos just like this. Have you changed out the rx for his worked but was putting out something that was killing servos. Not saying this is your problem, but something to look at.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just posting it here in case of a similarity.

I had a 359 with three races go when I turned it on for the main. It ran fine with no indication, it just went. That was about two weeks ago.

I also had one on its first race go right before the main with only turning on the switch.

both in two different Mugen "R"s. both throttle servos. (sorry Aaron W. lol). I just wanted to add to the servo conversation in case it was the servo.

I am interested in the 8ight, or I would not be on here, right? I hope it gets worked out.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm going to try some Venom fuel line on the brakes. It has a larger ID and should compress easier.

I also covered my throttle servo, chassis brace, tank, and sideguard with foil tape. Cover the bottom of the servo to reflect heat coming off the chassis. And cut out both air scoops on the body.

Also make sure the spur cover is not touching the servo ear/grommets.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ashikes- well said. I too have a Mugen R but have been a long time Losi guy as far as electric and gas truck go. I wouldn't be on here if I didn't like the looks of the Losi.

Maybe it's one of those things- new car out, problems to iron out. But it's a Losi so much time has been put into the eight testing and stuff.

Servos break, so do arms and shocks, etc. I think that the problem is heat by looking at how close to the center line the tray tucks the servo to the engine case. Heat does ruin servos, my buddy had one mess up real bad in a K3. I hope everyone gets it figured out- it's both expensive and frustrating for all I'm sure...

Oh and Aaron thanks for the advice, I debated for two weeks on what to get for this year. I chose the Mugen and I still like the Eight or I wouldn't care about what's going on in this thread. You're doing good for everyone here- keep up the good work...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Count me in the same camp as Chad...

I love my Mugen, never had a problem with it, but it's beat down and a few years old. I'd like to try a new one...and I'm seriously considering the Losi (especially since Speedtech carries them now... ) , but one of the other reasons would be Aaron.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

I can come off as a bit abrasive on the 'net but I mean well, haha. If nothing else, I'd like for everyone with a Losi car to justify their purchase based on customer service. Losi's drivers and company representatives helped me tremendously for the years and years that I was a loyal customer and I would love to be able to pay that forward.

I appreciate the info. I'm trying to collect enough data to make blanket assumptions as to what is causing these problems and see if we can't figure out what's going wrong. Bear with me

minit76 - It does seem to be a theme that people are blowing servos in this car, which makes me think it's not the receiver. If everyone's problems were fixed by putting in new receivers, then well....we'd have a whole new can of worms.

ahsikes - As with anything else, the only people that are on the internet discussing the problems they're having with this kit are those who are having problems! This shouldn't be anything to discourage you from picking up an 8IGHT kit and laughing at how much faster this thing is. It's truly unfair.

You AND Mugenchad, I'd encourage you to never hesitate to e-mail me if you have a problem with Losi stuff. It's the least I can do

Someone made a good point today...that the servo is really only close to the engine case, which doesn't get TOO hot. So maybe the servo heat is internal? I haven't had much time to test that yet.

Turbojoe - Thanks for the kind words! This has really proven to be the one gremlin we've had to face since the release of this car...but rest assured that there are plenty of 8IGHT owners who think the car is just incredible!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

I think it's incredible ...and I am almost positive that it is impossible to break ....Fast and Indestructable
Old 11-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Aaron, you hit the nail on the head with the customer service of losi. I was missing a parts bag, and they were out of them. They got some parts to finish the bag from some team drivers, and sent it to me. Now thats customer service.

The car is down right awesome. Easy to drive very fast and smooth. Its like driving an electric car. Small changes help alot, and there are not too many adjustments to try, unlike some of the other cars. Makes it very easy to find a great setup and change things rather quickly. I have seen my lap times drop, and they are consistant throughout the whole run within a second of one another. I would say its going to be hard to beat a losi if everyone is driving them. Props to Losi for doing a great job. The car is very tough, and very light.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok I took a look at my car last night put in a new switch just in case and hooked everything back up with new servo horns and everything it seems to be working fine just sitting on the bench I will try it out this weekend and see what happens when everything heats up. Aaron one question you stated that you use the spring that came in the kit with out cutting it, do you have your servo horn running parallel with the servo if so how do you fit all the spring in there with out binding or servo at neutrel I measured last night and the space from the servo horn to the ballcup is like 12mm and that is with the ballcup cut down some and horn parallel to servo and the spring is over 20mm that came with my kit so I cut it down to 15mm and I have my epa's set at 48% throttle and 25% brake and I so little play in my brakes at neutrel that they have some brag brake when I let off the gas so I would say I'm not over binding the servo in either direction. Please keep us posted on any info you get from Losi on this matter I know someone will figure it out.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The car itself is probably one of the best engineered RC Cars to date. On the servo issue......I doubt if heat from the engine is the problem, as Aaron stated.

I just wonder if carburetor alignment to when the slide moves perfect is the culprit? I am going to put some softer fuel line on the brake linkage and make sure that the engine is perfectly aligned for this weekend when I stick my new servo on.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Panther- It seems like everyone is having issues getting the carb to open without binding, at any point, even a little bit, its hard to get rid of it completely. I was thinking of grinding the center diff mount, so I can straighten up the carb body a little bit. Maybe even take a set of motor mounts and have someone move the hole, so the motor can be moved back 1/8 inch or less, so there is better clearance for the carb. Aaron get with losi on this idea, and see what they can come up with to reduce the angle that you have to have the carb body at, so it can be setup straight, so there is no binding what so ever, and I bet this gets rid of the problem.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

my throtal linkage isn't set at a 90 and i have my ball cup cut on the linkage. mine is more at a 80 to the servo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.