R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #631
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Buy a Mugen R boys, never had a problem with servos there... JK

My buddy smoked a throttle servo in his K3 once due to heat so it is possible. The heat seems to warp the cases I think causing the extra strain on the motor in the servo. Yeah it does get real expensive, $100 or so a pop. You can get the same high heat tape at Lowe's or Home Depot. I use it inside my bodies on the pipe side and it keep the inside of the body from rubbing and heat warping your paint. Comes in a 2 inch wide roll and is fairly cheap. Might be something for you to try, you can use the leftover roll for inside the body. Maybe even double it up a few layers on the side of the servo case. It kind of looks like chrome tape with writing on it. I've even had some that was like aluminum foil with adhesive backing. Just reflects the heat away from that case. It's the same stuff we used inside number plates on our motocross bikes back in the day...

Good luck with the servos, Losi is a very good company, the design is not the problem, it's got to be something else that can be remedied.
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #632
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power
no offense R40, but maybe if you stepped up to a better servo, you might not have any problems
Yep...my buddy has killed a few of those things in Jammin' and Mugen buggies when used as throttle servos. I think I have one of his dead ones laying around here somewhere. They just quit dead...poof.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #633
Tech Elite

It's not that it should be necessary to run $100 servos. It SHOULD be ok to run a 102 for goodness sakes. I feel bad that this problem has recurred this many times.

mugenchad - Oh, don't get me started

ridgeway - From the reports I've heard, it seems like all brands of servos have been affected by this "gremlin".
Old 11-07-2006, 01:55 AM   #634
Tech Adept

Sorry to barge in like that but I have a thought,
When I use to run my Mugen it happened to me too… twice!!!
My problem at that time was a wrong setting of EPA for the servo which made it burn its motor.
As far as heat concern, mine doesn't heat up THAT much even after 20 minutes run…
I can recommend using a foil, usually used to cover motorcycles exhaust to prevent leg burns. Tape a small piece over the side of the servo and it may help.
JBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #635
Tech Addict

There is a major difference between exhaust wrap and the foiled heat tape that I think is being described above. The exhaust wrap tape is the brown, cloth like stuff that is actually designed to keep the heat in your pipe. The foil tape acts as a reflection to heat, thus keeping things around from heating up. That is the stuff that you can buy at the local home building stores. I believe that the shiny stuff I have is actually used in heating and cooling to tape up flex ducts. You can layer it on the side case of the servo facing the motor and hopefully reflect that heat away from your servo case.

As for the cheaper servos, I've run those JRs for a long time and never had good luck with the cheaper 590s so you're not the only ones. The motors in them just give up after awhile. I always run them for throttle in my AD2. After awhile they just seem to pass away. I've got quite a pile of them. Most servos may be "metal gear servos" but most still have one plastic gear inside. Heat the metal ones around that gear and they can bind, thus causing your motor to overwork itself and die. Much like if you have your epa set too far. You just overwork them.

I'm still a Losi guy at heart, I run a gas truck still and I almost bought an Eight just decided to stay with the Mugen for 1/8. Sorry if I stepped on your toes Aaron. I know you're a Losi guy, just thought I'd spice it up a little.

This damn hobby can be frustrating when things don't go as planned. It's great to see everyone helping each other out- especially in time of need. Just my .02 on the tape, hopefully you all can figure the servo thing out.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #636
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenchad
The exhaust wrap tape is the brown, cloth like stuff that is actually designed to keep the heat in your pipe.
I wasnt talking about that....
The foil is about 3mm thick which from both size it has an aluminium look to it and the is some stufh in between.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #637
Tech Apprentice

I haven't had any problems with my servo until two weekends ago I use KO 2366 servos. In the main I was about 5-mins into the race and my throttle started working intermitting I just blew it off as a striped servo horn since when I pulled the white gear off they had little white plastic chips under it. Now you guys have me wondering if it was my servo. When I got back to my trailer I worked the servo several times and it looked to be fine but the car had cooled off by that time. I also cut the spring on the throttle linkage from day one when I saw it binding up so there is no extra pressure on the sevo so I would say it has to be heat related.
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #638
Tech Addict

JBRacing- that might be the stuff to try. It should reflect the heat away from the servo case. Doesn't hurt to try. Good luck... Unfinished races suck, especially when you're usually doing good...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #639
Tech Adept

Belive me - I know...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #640
Tech Addict

Don't get down on it. The Losi is a good car and this is a great place to discuss problems and get them resolved. I've been there too- it's hard to have fun with it when you're frustrated. It's usually a $3 part for me...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #641
Tech Adept

Thank god (and I know I jinxed myself now), I was talking about the Mugen...
With the 8ight I didnt have any problems yet
Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #642
Tech Apprentice

No doubt the 8ight is a good car. Just sad that I bought 2 $120 servos to go in this car and now after a month of running one might be dead. What will KO say when I send it back and they see that I had it in a 8ight on to throttle...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #643
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

mark- my throtal was acting up one day and it happend to be my connection between the battery and rx pack. check that.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #644
Tech Apprentice

I will go through every thing this weekend I also got a new switch for it just in case that was my problem but I still had steering but no throttle when it happened.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #645
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

thats exactley what my car was doing and as soon as i put the connection in a place where it wouldnt move anymore it stoped. Im about to put a ko that i picked up from adam in my 8ight when i get it back from colby after the pro series final.