R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #5386
Tech Apprentice

Default Truggy Gearing

Is anyone or everyone running the 8T gearing, i.e. using the 8T spur.

What clutch bell?

Thanks!

Team Losi Racing
Budweiser 8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #5387
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoch View Post
I ordered a Jconcepts 8B body and have some friends saying that they don't fit well. Has anyone else had this experience?
The JConcepts body seems to fit alot tighter than the stock or PL body, especially around the front of the sideguards.
buckeye-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #5388
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

BLACK - What tires are you running?
SHIZZILANILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #5389
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

How are guys capturing the steering links to the steering knuckles?

I saw a picture of this but it didnt say what parts they used.
buckeye-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #5390
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
I ordered a Jconcepts 8B body and have some friends saying that they don't fit well. Has anyone else had this experience?
The front of the body has a funky bubble between the front body post. This makes it difficult to clip the body on. IMO, the best fitting body is the OEM body.
ridgewaybodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #5391
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
I would have to disagree with you on this one as I ran m2 crimes this weekend and my car had all the steering I needed
Get your car setup for M2 Crimefighters and make sure it has all the steering you could ever want. Find a buddy running Panther KII med-soft (so the compounds are close) and give it a try. You will traction roll in the corners.
M2 Crimefighters are a very forgiving tire compaired to the others. Will they work? Yes. But they are notorious for push in slick track situations. That is why a lot of top drivers are running these combined with a Bowtie in a Bowfighter combinaton to get more steering.

There are simply more agressive tire out there than the Crimefighter. You should be lucky to have a track with enough traction to run em. I bet anything would work if your track is that hooked.

TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #5392
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye-mac View Post

Also interested in that .

Also I never paid much attention to the droop and ride height of my 8ight . Where are the measurements taken from for ride height and droop settings ?

Thanks for any help .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #5393
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Quote:
As already mentioned, the front has an annoying bubble type thing. Cut it off as much as you can unless you want the tip of the body to break off. I didn't do that and now the front mounting hole is broken from excessive wear. I use Losi's body now because it fits well and is pretty sturdy, not to mention it's the nicest looking of the 8ight bodies I've seen in my opinion
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #5394
Tech Addict

had no problems with the J body but there are a few things you could do to help if required.

1. redrill front mount to run from front to rear instead or side to side

2. cut off the silly nib that goes through front shock tower as it can get caught when fitting an removing the body ending up with a crack line through to the mounting hole

3. SLOT the rear mounting hole(s 8T) forward about 8-10 mm to alow for chassis flex ( you can also redrill the mount higher and use a button off the wing to cover the hole) cut about 6-8 mm off the rear of the body also. I do this with all bodies I run on the 8 and 8T.

hope these help

ADRIAN
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #5395
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye-mac View Post

easy fix is use the inside ball (bumpsteer ball) on the outside aswell with the larger side of the ball facing up secure it using a screw and washer
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #5396
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
Get your car setup for M2 Crimefighters and make sure it has all the steering you could ever want. Find a buddy running Panther KII med-soft (so the compounds are close) and give it a try. You will traction roll in the corners.
M2 Crimefighters are a very forgiving tire compaired to the others. Will they work? Yes. But they are notorious for push in slick track situations. That is why a lot of top drivers are running these combined with a Bowtie in a Bowfighter combinaton to get more steering.

There are simply more agressive tire out there than the Crimefighter. You should be lucky to have a track with enough traction to run em. I bet anything would work if your track is that hooked.

TEX
tires come down to the surface you race on rather than set up of the car. if a tire has too much bite and is causeing you to role over in corners then that isn't the right tire to run. also the reason people couple the crimes (in front) with bowties (in the rear) is because the cf up front will allow the front to steer harder while the bowtie in the rear will allow the rear of the car to float arround somewhat. That is the reason i run that combo.

Also, if the cf dosent offer steering then y do most cut the outer eadge at a 45?
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #5397
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Hey guys I am sure this has been answered in the previous 180 pages but to be honest I am just to damn lazy to read all of it.

Now to the problem at hand, my 8ight is great but I need some more on and off power steering, my setup on the car is great and I am looking for that little bit extra in the steering department. So if anyone can give me a list of reccommendations I would greatly appreciate it.
The first thing I would try is get the ride hieght situated. Measure it as you run it now as in (mm's). Measure the front just behind the kick-up point of the chassis where it flat. The rear measure at furthest point of the chassis.

I would start with 26mm front and 29mm rear.
The next is front diff oil. Go to 5000 wt. instead of 3000. 3000 will give off power steering but will diff out on bumps and on-power. Get your off power steering from your brake bias. Something like 40-60 or 35-65 bias.

Center diff oil to 7000 wt. You will more drive to the rear and more acceleration. Unless your track is really blown out bumpy, then stick with the 5000.

The rear I would experiment with 2 degrees of anti-squat and or some combination of less rear toe. If your car is really stuck, then less rear toe may do it.

I think your spring is too stiff, especially with your piston/oil combination. I would put the Green spring on it.

Try 4-B camber link position, this will give more on power steering. Or 5-B. I never tried anything other then position 4 on the tower except one time, 1-A. Made the car push, but was very easy to drive, stable.

Droop settings should start with 95mm front and 106mm rear. Going less in front will add steering. Going more in rear will give more off power steering.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #5398
Tech Elite

I am running 4 Losi carbon shoes with 4 Gold springs. Incredible wear and clutch feel. I think there is less heat and helps the bearings go longer.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #5399
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIZZILANILLA View Post
BLACK - What tires are you running?
I am running whatever tire the track condition calls for that particular day. Holeshots, inside jobs, CF, bowties, switches, gators, komodos, etc.
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:40 AM   #5400
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

can somebody list what track conditions certain tires are for. For example bowtie, crimefighter, holeshot or inside jobs. Pro-line's description seems to be very generic.
clebo3 is offline   Reply With Quote