R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 AM   #5341
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=bohdi;3762603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport10 View Post

Do you know which backplate to get? They all look the same size to me but th ebig issue is WHY would losi sell a starter box that you would need to modify in any way to work with their buggy?
The losi 427 is made by dynamite and is called the Mach 427. If you look up this engine at horizon you should be able to find the backplate for it. It shares the same backplate as the Mach .26. The starter box that losi markets is made for their pro kits. You have to modify the RTR to work with a starter box because it is setup for a rotostart style setup. Also I think that the new chassis for the pro kits now come with the flywheel slot chamfered from the factory.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #5342
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Here is the backplate

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN0922
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #5343
Tech Apprentice

I hope someone can help. Our track is very rutty ,technical and good grip.Has a few jumps ,nothing big.....here's the problem,my losi hooks in the corners,traction roll and hard to control in the ruff sections. I do need steering in the corners but it also feels a bit twitchy.I have tried neg camber in the front (helps with the uncontrollable direction change in the rutty sections) with some toe-in to compensate for more steering of the neg camber ,also running harder susp, roll bars.Maybe I just drive it wrongHelp please
Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #5344
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater View Post
I hope someone can help. Our track is very rutty ,technical and good grip.Has a few jumps ,nothing big.....here's the problem,my losi hooks in the corners,traction roll and hard to control in the ruff sections. I do need steering in the corners but it also feels a bit twitchy.I have tried neg camber in the front (helps with the uncontrollable direction change in the rutty sections) with some toe-in to compensate for more steering of the neg camber ,also running harder susp, roll bars.Maybe I just drive it wrongHelp please
what camber links are you running? try softer on the bars and shocks.
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #5345
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mater,

Not alot of details in your post like what is your current setup and which tires you are running but here is some things you can try without loosing to much steering. There is always that balance of having a car easy to drive through bumps yet still have enough corner speed. If the track is only 30% bumpy in a couple sections it maybe faster to go slower through those sections and be fast in the rest of the track. If the entire track is really bumpy then setting the car up numb over the jumps to maintain good control but loose some corner speed might be good for getting consistent laps.

Things you can try.

- Increase front dampening by 5wt.
- Change center diff from 7000 to 5000. This should help it deal with the bumps a bit more. You could even try running like a 5-5-3 (front-center-rear) diff oil. That should make the car kinda lazy feeling over say (5-7-2). I've been told 3-3-3 works well on rutted tracks but not tried it.
- Thicker front sway bar like the 2.7mm and or stiffer front springs.
- Might want to put a bit more front brake in it as this will help keep it stable under braking and will help prevent the rear end kicking out as you brake into the turn. To much and it will push to much. Fine line there.
- If it's the rear that's being a handful you might also try bigger hole piston in the rear with thicker oil. The rear won't pack up as much going over bumps. Also might try less anti squat. Hard to say as not seeing the car riding through the bumps and what it's doing.
- Another thought is front kickup. Drake posted on another forum that he's adding front kickup on bumpy tracks. You can use the new Losi front hinge pin plates to add kickup.

If you are running a tire like Proline crimefighters you can trim the outside row to a 45 deg angle. This will smooth the tire's bit out in the corners and they won't catch the ruts as much.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #5346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Here is a pic of a TL8 I painted and had to put on an auction site(?) since the customer went to the dark side and got an RC8!

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #5347
Tech Apprentice

jkirkwood...Thanks for your reply!This weekend was really frustrating as I could not get the setup as I wanted it to be, this is what I was running:
Front
3 camber
2 toe-in(compensate for the increase steering of the 3 camber)
sway bar black
shock 54/45 black spring
droop almost max
ride height 26
diff 5000
center diff 5000
Rear
toe 3
camber 3
anti-squat 2
sway thin silver
hub 2spacer rear
shock 55/35 green spring
droop almost max
ride height 27
diff 3000
tires bowties outer pin cut
all other settings about as setup sheet in manual
Some of the other guys cars were very good but then maybe they drive them to look good. Everybody had a problem with hooking but I feel one must be able to better or fix it with setup The rutty ares was VERY bad,not deep but like loose with some small chunks of clay all over the place so sometimes your car just change direction at will. the traction roll bothers me the most as it seemed that it was only the losis that had this problem!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #5348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

I would limit your front droop to 96mm shock length. Measure from center of the top and bottom screw. Full down travel is your problem on an inconsistant surface.

Go to 1 degree of toe out in the front.

Change your bump steer to down and go long on the Ackerman plate.

Front shocks - go to green springs to keep them slower than black.

Slow your rear end down by going to 40 wt oil in the shocks.

Put your rear droop to 108mm shock length.

Try 3 antisquat.

Try a thicker rear sway bar.

Let us know how it goes.
I think your droop was your biggest culprit here. That combined with a front suspension that extends quickly to full travel can make the car very edgy and hard to drive.

Bowties should be good on a rough surface.

TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #5349
Tech Initiate

if the car change directions by itself over ruts, the most importent thing to do is going down on rear toe. try using the 2/2 rear plate.
dotan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 AM   #5350
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

my track is slippery and is breking up pretty bad on the corners and we also have a huge set of stutters and some big jumps.....this is the set up im running try this if you want:

diff oil from rear to front: 5 10 5
rear sway bar: 4mm
front sway bar: 2mm
shock pistons front: 56
shock pistons rear: 55
shock oil front: 40wt
shock oil rear: 35wt
all shocks located on inside hole down the bottom and outside hole on top.
camber: 1'

hope this helps, let me know how it goes.
nitro rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #5351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Wow, 10K in the center is alot of rear diff drive out of turns!

But, what works for one may or may not work for another.

I always like 5-7-2 front to rear. The most aggressive i've ever liked is 5-7-5, but it's a little loose under power in mid turn, good for turns you need to bring the back around in to be fast.

Over bumps I find the lighter the diff oil, the better, but the trade off is less accel for big jumps and more frequent changing of the fluids. It still works great if you have very good throttle control, but if you like to "pin it" when you see daylight, may not be a good idea. LOL

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #5352
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

That body shell looks sweel as man, you still got it and keen to sell away from auction? Im interested
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #5353
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the info,I will try this weekend.Now that I think of it yes it was the droop perhaps.The lot of neg on the front did help for the ruff areas but changing the droop would have been better.The 8ight drives very different to the mugen which I have been driving for the past year so I have to change my driving style as well.My son is going to the RC-PRO in Dallas this November,he can drive ok but is not that good on setups.All the other team drivers are MUGEN.I cant go due to work so I have to almost pre setup his buggy and truggy!Any ideas on indoor setups .Here in SA we only drive out-door.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #5354
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Man I want to go to Dallas. Anyone want to sponsor me for this race? LMAO. I think I could kick butt in sportsman.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #5355
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Come on down!!!!! You can crash with me when your down!!!!
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote