Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Micrrs4guy, Overdischarging can and eventually will cause imbalance, which even the best charger won't pcik up without a balancer in use. So I guess we agree since a good charger come swith or has an upgrade to a balancer.

That is where the fire comes in, .

The problem occurs during charge though, yes. In this case the customer said he had just run the car until the steering died, then it popped during the next charge cycle.

They pop just like Nicads and Nimh, but the fire is the added, more intense part.

...Jim
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If your interested as to why Lipos burst, check here: Understanding Lipo Fires 101
Old 10-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Good link, thanks!

Looks like the same things that cause ALL batteries to fail, also cause Lipo's to fail as well, !

I have even seen car 12 volt batteries explode, but they never catch on fire like Lipo's do! They just make a mess and spill mild acid on everything they contact, then the corrosion starts to appear a few days later, LOL.

The main difference being a Lipo is made from what are flammable materials by themselves.

I still think they are the best thing since sliced bread...at least for now. But, they must be watched more carefully and maintained well. Not for people who abuse their equipment on a regular basis, imo.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

Just a quick question.

Is the Losi 7000 cs diff fluid, the same viscosity as Mugen 7000 diffoil?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Jim, I agree with you, Lipos are great. I am getting back into onroad (electric...) but, if you treat the batteries right, I think its worth the voltage loss (comparing 6 cell NIMH with 2 cell lipo). I would much rather pay the $120 for a lipo that lasts 100-300 cycles than a 6 cell $60 NIMH pack that would last me 20 runs... Only problem is you gotta add quite a bit of weight to be legal (with TC)

In nitro offroad, most guys just change their RX pack to Lipo without re-adding weight so that performance doesnt change...however, most guys can't tell a difference...To be honest, I MIGHT notice a difference, but right now, I think the added rear weight is good in my situation. Besides, I have a C6BB in my losi, I am not losing too much acceleration

I love my Losi, I can hit the lines that I want to, BUT I am too nervous being "on the edge" I am quite conservative. Usually I do not crash, which helps a ton, I just have to work on getting the timing of my throttle finger down to the inch of the spot I have to accelerate and decelerate. Damn its fun learning how to drive fast. Its even more fun helping others FINISH the race!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 AM

Hey everybody do yall think it would be possible for me to get my 8ight's chassis Linex'ed (spray on truck bed liner) and if so how long should it last? I have a REALLY local place here in Dalton, GA and I think I am gonna call up there today to ask their opinion... and price!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by lanerbrainer205
Hey everybody do yall think it would be possible for me to get my 8ight's chassis Linex'ed (spray on truck bed liner) and if so how long should it last? I have a REALLY local place here in Dalton, GA and I think I am gonna call up there today to ask their opinion... and price!
That's a nice idea you came up with. But what for? Is it to protect the underside from getting scratched? If that would be the main reason then, it might add more weight to your buggy (depending I guess how many layers you apply) and it might cost you more money or the same price to just replace the chassis.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

The GMK CVD Condoms are the ticket. CHeap and effective, ive been running them all year and even had the set screw back off completely and not have anything come apart. Give them a try and you won't regret it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Brian Miskolczi
The GMK CVD Condoms are the ticket. CHeap and effective, ive been running them all year and even had the set screw back off completely and not have anything come apart. Give them a try and you won't regret it.
I agree. They're great.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Finken
Just a quick question.

Is the Losi 7000 cs diff fluid, the same viscosity as Mugen 7000 diffoil?
I'd like to know also. I have only used the Mugen oil. Haven't had the losi stuff in my hands at all. I wonder if the Mugen is thicker and that's why my car seems different than others'. Gonna have to ask the pros around here to see what they use. Their cars are so much more comfortable to drive. But when they drive mine they say, "I don't know. Feels pretty close to mine." And then I'm disgusted with myself. LOL.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by air8
I'd like to know also. I have only used the Mugen oil. Haven't had the losi stuff in my hands at all. I wonder if the Mugen is thicker and that's why my car seems different than others'. Gonna have to ask the pros around here to see what they use. Their cars are so much more comfortable to drive. But when they drive mine they say, "I don't know. Feels pretty close to mine." And then I'm disgusted with myself. LOL.
The oils are different...losi uses weight, while mugen uses CTS - they are not linear...I have a chart of the shock oil differences, but have not seen one comparing the heavier diff oils
Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtsum
The oils are different...losi uses weight, while mugen uses CTS - they are not linear...I have a chart of the shock oil differences, but have not seen one comparing the heavier diff oils
I printed out shock oil chart someone posted. Xray (old/new), AE, and Losi weights. I gave copies to several people at the track. But I'd like to see one for the diff oils also. That chart was awesome.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

the mugen oil is thicker about 1k thicker I have found mugen 461 feels like the losi 572
Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Li poly regulator

So what is the best li poly reg for my 8ight ? I am running the Losi li polys? and are you guys using one switch? I have seen a couple of guys 2 switches one switch for the reg and one for the batteries that looks like a drag.

Jim
Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.Wright
So what is the best li poly reg for my 8ight ? I am running the Losi li polys? and are you guys using one switch? I have seen a couple of guys 2 switches one switch for the reg and one for the batteries that looks like a drag.

Jim
There's no simple answer. I prefer a 6.5v-6.7v 5amp regulator. I have a custom made one however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.