Tech Apprentice

8ight Spring rate chart.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df8n7qmb_1cbpkkw
weliin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #512
Px3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi guys, new to the forum. I am getting an 8ight for Christmas (I'm 15 so cash is tight) and I run at Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet, IL (www.leisurehoursraceway.com).

We have high-bite, blue-groove clay here. It isn't a super technical layout right now, mild to medium, but not what I would call "fast".

Would would be a good setup based simply on these things? A friend of mine said that his was HOOKED with the thick swaybars, green springs, 50/40 shock oil (f/r), stock oils in the front/center, 1k in the rear. Does that sound ideal?

Also, I heard the stock screws are odd sized? Good thing, bad thing? I don't think anyone at the track besides 8ight owners would have the right size screw then. I'm going to pick up a Tony's Screw Kit. Anybody else use these screws?

Alot of good information in this thread, about 5 days and I'm finally through reading all 18 pages of it, lol.

Thanks for all the help/info.
Matt

Last edited by Px3; 10-27-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Px3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #513
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The screws are all SAE standard, just like any american vehicle (all Associated and all Losi). The 2mm size is exactly the same wrench as the 5.64 that is common in the 8ight build. Tony's screws are better quality but they will still be SAE because while you can thread metric screws into SAE plastic holes it does not work on machined aluminum parts.

The setup changes you have there sound about right. With all of the 8ights that I hear are buzzing around L.H. I'm sure a hot setup will be coming soon. The car likes the down travel to be limited a little, calms it down alot. Look for Jesse Wolkenheim, he is good at finding a dialed setup and is running an 8ight now.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #514
Px3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
The screws are all SAE standard, just like any american vehicle (all Associated and all Losi). The 2mm size is exactly the same wrench as the 5.64 that is common in the 8ight build. Tony's screws are better quality but they will still be SAE because while you can thread metric screws into SAE plastic holes it does not work on machined aluminum parts.

The setup changes you have there sound about right. With all of the 8ights that I hear are buzzing around L.H. I'm sure a hot setup will be coming soon. The car likes the down travel to be limited a little, calms it down alot. Look for Jesse Wolkenheim, he is good at finding a dialed setup and is running an 8ight now.
I'm a bit confused on the screws. The hex key size (2mm, 2.5, etc) will all be the same, but the thread size is different? That is what I'm getting from what you posted.

How does it handle compared to, say a Kanai II? That's what I'm running now, and just got it dialed after having it for a couple months lol...

I plan to pick up a OS 21 VG with it, and a 13t cb also, my Picco G1's tuning has been horrid lately.

Do you guys use the stock oils, or do you use Mugen for the diffs? And what for the shocks?

Also, what foams would be best for the track condition I described with Panther Switch 2.0's? Stock, Ofna Yel. (medium) molded, or Ofna Org. (soft) molded? I have some ofna yellow in my switch 1's right now, and they seem good.

Has anyone used this starter box with the 8ight?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXU2&P=7

I have access to that box and an Ofna Chrome Top. It sounds like it'd be easier to start on that black box.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #515
Tech Regular

At CRCRC track (similiar to Leisure but probably not as wet and tighter/smaller) I'm running Drake's Hemet setup but with these changes: 2* rear anti-squat, 30wt/55 front shocks, 22.5wt/56 rear shocks, Panther 2.0 clay compound tires with harder inserts, and a lower ride height like 25mm front & 27mm rear.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #516
Px3
Tech Adept

Cool, I'm probably going to print out this thread before I build because of all the setup stuff and tips for building/setup.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #517
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Spend the extra 20 bucks and pick up the Mugen box... works awesone out of the box for the 8ight... best box ive used in 15 years...
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #518
Px3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire
Spend the extra 20 bucks and pick up the Mugen box... works awesone out of the box for the 8ight... best box ive used in 15 years...
If I was buying one new I would. Right now, I have the Ofna Chrome top and my buddy has the black Ofna one I posted above. He is willing to trade with me though, my box for his.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #519
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

our track was a blue groove type, as for tire we either ran cut tapers, which were flat out the best, or the panther switch 2.0, both tires were fitted with the firm panther green foams, which are now made by werks.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:22 PM   #520
Tech Adept

I was thinking of getting the blue box chrome top but the silver ofna box I have I just brought.
Ghost06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #521
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking Seems a little off......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Px3
I'm a bit confused on the screws. The hex key size (2mm, 2.5, etc) will all be the same, but the thread size is different? That is what I'm getting from what you posted.

The screws are all SAE tool heads. The 5/64 tool will cross over to your 2mm driver. They are almost exactly the same size with a little bit more of a snug fit when you use the 2mm. The 2.5 mm tool will not be used on the car except for mybe your exhaust which does not come with the kit. BTW - the Tony's screw kit is excellent.

How does it handle compared to, say a Kanai II? That's what I'm running now, and just got it dialed after having it for a couple months lol...

This car can run a lot softer than your KII. Its polar moment is far less with all of the componnets moved toward the center. This means you don't need nowhere near the suspension to maintain traction. It will have a ton of steering and much more punch out of the corner.

I plan to pick up a OS 21 VG with it, and a 13t cb also, my Picco G1's tuning has been horrid lately.

Don't worry about the clutch bell right now. Get a good break in on your VG and buy some green clutch springs. I'm running carbon and carbon shoes with blacks on two and green on two and you will have plenty of rip. Believe me. This thing is off the hook out of the corners. Drake has been running Blacks on carbon shoes and golds on green shoes which should be a little more aggressive.

Do you guys use the stock oils, or do you use Mugen for the diffs? And what for the shocks?

On the diff oils I have been using my Mugen oils since there were no options for the Losi product. The car did not like the light oil in the back when exiting a corner. I like a lot of steering going in. I'm running 3-5-3 front to rear currently. I'm using Azmecua's type of shocks Green all the way around with 40-54 inthe front and 37.5-55 in the rear. Droop is very useful on this car. Take your time.

Also, what foams would be best for the track condition I described with Panther Switch 2.0's? Stock, Ofna Yel. (medium) molded, or Ofna Org. (soft) molded? I have some ofna yellow in my switch 1's right now, and they seem good.

Look to your local hot shoes for this one.

Has anyone used this starter box with the 8ight?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXU2&P=7

I have seen it used and it worked fine. Bevel the wheel a little bit to clear the front and rear edges of the fly wheel opening. All three cars I have been involved with were better to handle when you take the time to bevel the sides of the flywheel opening. It does not hve to be so precise when you put it on your box. I personally run the cheap OFNA box and it works perfect. It is only like $45.00 to save you some cash.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUC7&P=7

I have access to that box and an Ofna Chrome Top. It sounds like it'd be easier to start on that black box.
GOOD LUCK! You know where we are.
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 AM   #522
Tech Adept

i am currently using the ofna black starter box, i had it from an extra ad2 so i tried it and it works, but heres the thing, you will need a new starter box wheel that has the chamfers on it as described on losi's site. my box was old enough that the wheel was the same width all the way across and it was pretty well worn so i decided to get a new wheel before i put the chamfers on it and when it came in ofna has already chamfered the new wheels so all i had to do was bolt it on and i was ready to go. so if it doesnt have the chamfers you will have to get a new wheel for it but it works as good as all my buddies mugen boxes if you run it on stick packs and not the 12v gel cell.
xxxtracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #523
Px3
Tech Adept

So much info! So long of wait until I get my 8ight.

Thanks some more..
Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #524
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1

You can chamfer the edges yourself by holding the box on and using a file on the edge of the wheel. Mine took less than a minute to get the angle narrow enough to fit in the flywheel opening of the chassis.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:28 AM   #525
Tech Apprentice

Are the Losi 1/8 scale step pin tires bigger than normal? I recently got a full set of these, but the mounting diameter of the tire seems much bigger than the proline wabash rims. Any help is appreciated.
jjkahler is offline   Reply With Quote