R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #5071
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is a 56 piston drilled to a 55 the same as a #55 piston?

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #5072
Tech Master

Lack of landings for bigger jumps seem to be a normal traite for inexperianced track builders. I deal with that too.

TEX, It seem you reach critical rebound dampening fairly fast when running the 54 piston with medium & lighter oils. I've never had another any other buggy do that (all Mugens & K cars before).

Last edited by RBMike; 09-08-2007 at 11:58 AM.
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #5073
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Yes, but when there is a huge BMX track next door that is amazing, and the rc track builders don't listen to the more experienced guys...thats something to be amazed about....
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #5074
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking

The fast rebound can be good if you are not worrying about it on the down side.
My friends...... chassis bounce or slap is not rebound! That was for all of my RTR homies out there.

To bad the track guys have been doing this for over 20 years! They do not listen.

Air8 - My 56 pistons have only half of the holes drilled out to 55 so they are a 55.5 really. However, you are correct to assume if you take a 56 and drill all the holes to 55 then you have a 55 piston.

I don't think those guys can really tell a drilled 55 piston vs. a molded 55 piston body. I think is is more psychosematic that they go through that procedure during setup for their own personal comfort level. Me?? I just need another beer!

Later,
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:26 AM   #5075
Tech Addict

well Tex I have to say I'm with you I'm running 40wt with 55 pistons all round silver or red springs on front and green on the rear of the buggy for the same reasons- big jumps with nasty landings it must be a world wide thing with club tracks.

the buggy was a little bit tailey so I went to 1000wt in the rear diff now running 5-7-1 it seems really settled now

I missed out on TQ today by less than 1second in the truggy (first time I've driven a truggy- 8T only way to go finished 2nd in a rain effected A -4 wheel power sliding to much fun) and missed TQ in the buggy by less than 2 with only 8 seconds from TQ to 10th

Made abig mistake and ran my clutch bearings for 1 tank to many buggy ran fine it the warmup but stalled with a locked bearing on the startline but thats racin

Last edited by RETRO RC; 09-09-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: left something out
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #5076
Tech Adept

For the guys that complain about tracks that the landings are incorrect.

It is true that there are several track owners that might not know how to build a right track, but let me guess that those owners also have an LHS in sight.

"bad landings equals more parts wreckage which also equals more sells"

Just a thought.
cota348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #5077
Tech Champion

I've actually noticed looking at pics of a lot of the Euro tracks don't seem to have landing ramps at all. It seems like a lot of those tracks have a lot of singles that you have to land flat bottom. Now they're not as big as a lot of the US style jumps, but still. Landing flat without any kind of landing ramp is not easy.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #5078
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

I find these kind of jumps just an obstacle really, 9 times out of 10 its faster to accelerate up to it brake roll it and then accelerate out of it then it is to actually get air off it, boring for spectators but faster and nicer on the car thats for sure, cant accelerate in the air and it also bottoms out hard most of the time if you land on flat ground hard on the gas. These jumps are ok for a worlds event etc. where it makes it tricky but for club racing its boring IMHO, doubles etc. are a lot more fun as they are fast and big air.

Take note track builders
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #5079
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Angry

After 20 years....On our last track we got a double jump that was 15 ft from take off to landing with about 4-5 ft of verticle air. You could not land the back side of the second and had to come down flat. That is just plain retarded. The director asked me why none of the electrics would ever come race at his track. I said, "Are you kidding me????"
Small jumps that get you off your suspension in high speed sections are cool.
Turns, switch backs, rollers are very cool. I like table tops and the like but when you absolutely have to sacrifice just to get around the track, it sucks for everyone. I felt real bad watching the current monster truck champion not be able to complete the obsticals.
That's just plain sad!

Hint: LHSs build your tracks so all guys can run on them. 1/8ths might triple while the less nimble guys might opt for a double. Landing areas should be 3 - 3.5 times the horizontal length of the take off where a car can pitch in and keep the speed right.

Hey St. Louis - If you have a big race like the Nats... don't have a dedicated double jump section landing in a hairpin turn. You have no right to complain when a driver takes another driver out in the corner. He is in the air and by that design there will be ugly racing. It is already predetermined. Jump, land and then maybe a nice off camber roller coming down into the corner so at least the trailing driver is on all fours and can take action if need be.

Off my box now.
Sorry,
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #5080
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Heh, we have a couple 20ft jumps....but there is a decent landing that a friend and I insisted upon, AND we stayed late one day just to fix several other things....gosh darn... Talking to the track designers here: "we want others to come to our track and see that they need and want some of our obstacles because it is out of the box...." WTF!!!! Ya out of the box cause it makes it VERY hard to navigate.... RANT OVER for me. I already got "a talking to" from the club President/ track designer about dissing the design.

Side note: I tried Aaron Waldrons latest setup and hated it..but also the track was changed the day before I drove. I know that there were too many changes at one time to make me uncomfortable. Also, dang the C6BB in the 8 is friggen awesome. Stephen Bess showed up to our humble track which was pretty sweet too. Most of our 40 or so members have never been to another track, yet alone see decent driving. It was good for our club as a whole. "DONT BE A HACK!!!" I had nitro in my eyes during all 3 qualifiers (dont lift the muffler past your face) and played bumper cars with bess as I tried to wipe my eyes.

Dang it was a fun day overall.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #5081
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSA3533

would the new axle hubs that make the 8ight 1/2 inch wider legal for racing in the RC pro series?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #5082
Tech Fanatic

I cannot believe Losi would release this product if it were not legal. After all, it's not a product that would interest bashers IMO.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #5083
Tech Adept

Those would be for truggy I'd think so that they can run no offset and yes that would make the buggy way too wide
hansarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #5084
Tech Adept

Losi also has new 1mm wider hubs for the buggy.
dhickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #5085
Tech Regular

Yeah, the 1mm wheel hexes should be legal and the 1/2" ones should be for the other type of wheels.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote