R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM   #4606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
On a couple of engines my carb would hang open about half throttle. These cars are still tooooooo fast at half throttle to catch. lol. I took the barrels out of the carbs and tried to do a little polishing. Seemed to help. but the carb still hangs up on a couple of my engines. Mostly after pulling full throttle to clear the large triples, the engines stays revved up until you apply the brakes to close it. Well after doing that the nose goes straight down. CRASH. I've just thought it was the carbs getting bound up.
throtal return spring will work wonders for your problem.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #4607
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Actually, I had the same problem on my Ninja motor and the throttle return spring made it worse by putting a side load onto the barrel and making it dig in to the grooves and scratches harder. The problem is that the groove in the barrel is probably all scratched and beat up. I was told this happens if you don't have the throttle open when you adjust your idle screw. I didn't know that before and I've heard it from more than one person since then. But it is a big issue and has made a really good car, feel really bad for me because I can't control it. It'll launch itself off jumps and over jump things. Go nose up over anything big and like air8 said, it would take grabbing the brakes to get it to stop, and that was too much a lot of times. It feels like an electric when you've got the throttle trim set way too high. Shouldn't be an issue anymore with the OS. I've been careful not to touch the idle unless the carb is open. (And the engine not running. )
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #4608
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
throtal return spring will work wonders for your problem.
Tried that. Actually I have throttle return spring and two 3/8" rubber bands wrapped around the carb. Barely noticeable but still there. Thanx
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #4609
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr View Post
Actually, I had the same problem on my Ninja motor and the throttle return spring made it worse by putting a side load onto the barrel and making it dig in to the grooves and scratches harder. The problem is that the groove in the barrel is probably all scratched and beat up. I was told this happens if you don't have the throttle open when you adjust your idle screw. I didn't know that before and I've heard it from more than one person since then. But it is a big issue and has made a really good car, feel really bad for me because I can't control it. It'll launch itself off jumps and over jump things. Go nose up over anything big and like air8 said, it would take grabbing the brakes to get it to stop, and that was too much a lot of times. It feels like an electric when you've got the throttle trim set way too high. Shouldn't be an issue anymore with the OS. I've been careful not to touch the idle unless the carb is open. (And the engine not running. )
OoooHHH. That makes sense. I never thought of that. That is the only way I have ever adjusted the throttle. I usually pull the carb off every three or four weekends and try again. I polish any burs off the idle screw and the idle screw slot on the barrel. I just thought the barrel was getting scratched from opening and closing. Learrn something new everyday.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #4610
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Ya, I've had 2 carbs go bad on me also....1 was bad enough that at times I could not open it by hand.... Hmmm Ive never read in my engine manuals not to adjust idle when the carb is closed...Also...damn I love rotary carbs, Ive never had a problem with them
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #4611
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Tried that. Actually I have throttle return spring and two 3/8" rubber bands wrapped around the carb. Barely noticeable but still there. Thanx
the way you made it sound was as if the throtal just wouldnt go back to netural after half-full throtal. hwen i read it i took it as it worked smooth just wouldnt return all the way cause i had that problem with mine when i 1st got the car and a rubber band on the cab did the trick.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #4612
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

I was ready to toss the losi and my ninja motors, after two separate engines had the carbs hang up like you guys described. The only cure I have found is to use some heavy grease and lubricate the slide. This has helped me tremendously. I dont care if any of it gets sucked in my motors. I lubed up my slide with the grease, and pushed to throttle boot back over. It worked perfect for 45 minutes of running last sunday, and it still feels good today. Do not go waste money on new carbs or engines. Try the grease first. I think this will just become part of my weekly work on the car
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #4613
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to layedbackguy
Default Losi 8ight Race Roller

I do like to build my own kits, but by it being a race roller, it's gets you racing faster with out the hassle of 12hr friday night builds.

Last edited by layedbackguy; 07-27-2007 at 06:57 AM.
layedbackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #4614
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking Come on Carl.....

You would still rebuild the car if I handed it to you and told you it was ready to go. You will always rebuild your own kit. Do a good job too!
This is for the guys that want to try and get in the 1/8 gas sport. Now Losi has given them a reason to use their car. More parts made due to more kits being sold means they will have parts for longer and they will stay cheaper.
Xray, Mugen...
Don't want to go there on those cars.
Good move Losi!
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #4615
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to layedbackguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
You would still rebuild the car if I handed it to you and told you it was ready to go. You will always rebuild your own kit. Do a good job too!
This is for the guys that want to try and get in the 1/8 gas sport. Now Losi has given them a reason to use their car. More parts made due to more kits being sold means they will have parts for longer and they will stay cheaper.
Xray, Mugen...
Don't want to go there on those cars.
Good move Losi!
TEX
Good Point! Even when my got my 8T, i took it apart, and use lock tight on all the things that i knew or thought would come undone. It's up to racer to choose diff and shock oil, but to me, it's a perfect combo.....Great Job losi!!
layedbackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #4616
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

for those that still prefer to build your car, Losi is still going to offer the 8ight as a kit. The new tires should be out end of august/beginning of september as well.
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #4617
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
for those that still prefer to build your car, Losi is still going to offer the 8ight as a kit. The new tires should be out end of august/beginning of september as well.
Cant wait to try those tires.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #4618
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking

I would love to see Losi do a tire like the Bow Tie in their different compounds.
Or even a Crime Fighter with angled edges.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #4619
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Race roller picture. and No, they will not come with graphics pre installed! It'll be exactly like the 8IGHT-T clear body and all!
Attached Thumbnails
Losi 8ight building and setup-8ightroll.jpg  
Old 07-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #4620
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Air filter oil

What do you guys use for air filter oil and do you know what it really is I mean is it just a low viscosity oil say 10Wt or a 20WT trans oil, air tool oil? I am having trouble giving the LHS $5.99 for 3 oz when I can buy a quart at Pep nuts for $1.

Jim
J.Wright is offline   Reply With Quote