Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Last night, I kept popping the steering rod ends off the ball cups. I already had the Kyosho ends installed. I put new ones on and theys still popped way too easy. So I tried something I saw Steve Slayden do to an 8T in OKC. I used heavy duty Traxxas push rod ends and the balls to make captured rod ends. Worked awesome. In fact, it worked so good I think I found the next weakest link. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7734 I have broke many of these rear hinge pin covers before, so I don't know if it is related to my captured ends or not. anyways, is there something other than plastic for these pieces. I had smacked a wall pretty hard to break it, so it's not like it's weak. Just wondering.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
Last night, I kept popping the steering rod ends off the ball cups. I already had the Kyosho ends installed. I put new ones on and theys still popped way too easy. So I tried something I saw Steve Slayden do to an 8T in OKC. I used heavy duty Traxxas push rod ends and the balls to make captured rod ends. Worked awesome. In fact, it worked so good I think I found the next weakest link. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7734 I have broke many of these rear hinge pin covers before, so I don't know if it is related to my captured ends or not. anyways, is there something other than plastic for these pieces. I had smacked a wall pretty hard to break it, so it's not like it's weak. Just wondering.

air8-You know Im having the same problems with the hinge pin brace covers that Im skeeeered to hit hard. Even though I rarely hit anything but puttycats.lol. No, realy though, we need some metal brace covers made because the plastic cant handle the force from all the power of my "Dollar Store" engines.lol.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

lol. I taut I taw a putty tat too. Ya, I have broken those several times before. Actually one time I broke one and didn't have a replacement. So I CA glued a 5-40 nut to the chassis just to hold the hinge pin in. It stayed on the whole rest of the day. When I got home and tore the front end down, I touched the nut with a screw driver and it fell right off. Wheeww. Close. But, I've been looking today and haven't found anything yet. I might have to get creative at work. Yikes.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

NICE!! Let me know what kinda of "danger" you invent.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

This may not be an option for you guys but a VERY good 28.00 fix/upgrade is the M2C plates. They use pivot balls in the hinge pin and are ultra smooth and pivot 10 times free'er than the stock ones. They do not get gritty and bind up at the end of a day like the stock ones either.

And you never have to worry about the covers breaking as they are not used anymore

EA
Old 07-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
This may not be an option for you guys but a VERY good 28.00 fix/upgrade is the M2C plates. They use pivot balls in the hinge pin and are ultra smooth and pivot 10 times free'er than the stock ones. They do not get gritty and bind up at the end of a day like the stock ones either.

And you never have to worry about the covers breaking as they are not used anymore

EA
Ive got the rear M2C plates but Im looking for something for the front. Thanks though. Anyone else?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Losi 8ight, National Champion!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

front inner plastic hingepin cover problem SOLVED!!!! http://kingheadz.com/
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

What plastic hinge pin cover problem? I race nearly every weekend in the 10-20 mains and never have a problem. Maybe you should pay attention to the idiots behind you that have a tendency to rear end you and get out of their way...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

some people were asking about it. i had a cracked front one and the plastic covers are on back order everywhere. i heard b/o until 7/29.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by satoch
What plastic hinge pin cover problem? I race nearly every weekend in the 10-20 mains and never have a problem. Maybe you should pay attention to the idiots behind you that have a tendency to rear end you and get out of their way...
I don't think its a problem. But I am the idiot that is tagging the inside corners trying to make the apex. I didn't mean to accuse the plastic covers of being weak, I just think I found the next weakest link after making captured tie rod ends out on the steering knuckles. The force has to go somewhere right? I just wanted to beef up the FRONT hinge pin cover on the rear of the front diff. I see M2C has some coming and thanks for the King Headz picture above.

If I keep breaking this piece then I need to take the captured rod ends off, put the stock ones on, and let the do the job of popping off to prevent breakage. Sorry for the long post. Didn't want an argument to start.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports

EA
Thanks for the info. I didn't think to look at their parts. After seeing this post, I remembered Freefallmaring showing me the whole setup he had on the rear of his 8, when we were in OKC. And now I also see they have aluminum covers coming for the front. Exactyl what I was looking for. I do need to open my eyes because Sickboy posted the pic of the KH version. I should have looked before posting.

Also, if anyone is having probs with the stone filter falling off the metal nipple in the fuel tank, solder it. Someone on here suggested that and it worked great. I used to try to fix this every other weekend but I have 3 gals. on since soldering and all is well.

Last edited by air8; 07-02-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The M2C rear toe plate's work great. Adding the weight's to the rear end is like night and day for my Losi.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trebor
Ive got the rear M2C plates but Im looking for something for the front. Thanks though. Anyone else?
They have them for the front now to and also with different anti dive options. They do not use balls in them like the rear though. They are cheaper as well.

EA
Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sickboy
front inner plastic hingepin cover problem SOLVED!!!! http://kingheadz.com/
Originally Posted by satoch
Sickboy- Thanks, thats exactly what Im looking for! They are nice too! I did notice Fioroni has some adjustable front ones too but for the fr & rear its $90. Way too much $$ for me.

Satoch-Its not the people behind me that are causing it its from the hard hits to the "FRONT" end. Problem solved, so I dont have to worry about anyboy passing. NO-NO! lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.