R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #4156
Tech Master

For the data base: I've had a Hi-tec 925MG in my 8 on the throttle for 15 + gallons. No tray stiffener, no o-rings, just cut the spring & the cup.
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #4157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
The Airtronics and cheap JRs will smoke every time. The motors in those servos are just not up to the task.
My Airtronics 358 has been fine for 4 gallons now on throttle. I don't use any orings under the battery tray or any servo tray stiffeners. I have no clue where you get the idea that the Airtronics will smoke every time. However I do agree that cheap servos will not last, almost regardless of brand. I did smoke one, but I had a carb barrel that bound on the idle screw, eventually I couldnt even open it by hand....That would blow any servo.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #4158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
Do yourself a favor and move away from all cored motor servos. Get coreless servos like the Futaba 9451. They will work forever and the motors do not strain as hard inside.
The Airtronics and cheap JRs will smoke every time. The motors in those servos are just not up to the task.
We have been running the 9451 for over a year with no problems and they are $75. Also, throttle return springs work much better on these servos.
TEX

Good job on your first outing.
Tex- About the servos, I am running 2 Airtronics, a 359 and a 360 and have no problems yet but I just wanted to know if they are coreless or not? How do you know if they are coreless? And what is "CORELESS"?

GTSUM- Thanks for the link to RCUNIVERSE. Very explanative! Ive never cut my spring and havent had problems yet so do you think I should still leave it or cut down to like 12 loops?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #4159
Tech Elite

All the high end Airtronics servos are coreless. You can usually find servos that are 3 pole, 5 pole or coreless. I do not know the definition of coreless servos, but I do know that they are faster and more accurate.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #4160
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

coreless motors in a servo. It's like having a brushless motor in your servo. The center part is a shaft with a magnet on the armature. cored motors are like stock motors, that have an armature with copper windings around it. you can burn these motors up easier

But I also believe that airtronics has coreless digital servos as well. I can't mention which ones specifically since I've been running futaba for the past 10 years. I had an Airtronics before that, but sold it with one of my older cars a while ago.

I'm not gonna say Futaba servos are better, I just know that they run flawlessly for me. plus I don't have to use washers to change the height of the brake and throttle linkages. like some KO servo users have had to do.

The only servo I've ever blown up is a JR servo in my old Jammin CRT. That's the last time I used a JR servo.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #4161
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

A coreless servo motor is actually more delicate than a cored motor. The coreless motor is used for greater speed and zero cogging which effects the servo's accuracy. Good quality ones hold up of course but they generate more heat when stalled and suffer heat damage more easily, they have thin, light windings with not iron core to help absorb the heat. Cored servos usually blow their circuit boards, not the motors.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #4162
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

For what it's worth, I have not had any servo trouble and I think this is the difference: My servo is almost loose in the mount. I tightened the screws down on the gromments just tight enough to capture them, but not so tight that they distort. I also was careful not to set up the return spring with more force than was necessary to close the carb.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #4163
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Red face

We were an Airtronics distributor before the Whole Global thing. I loved Airtronics servos. As of late they have been rough to deal with.

Every one has come back with a burnt motor from the factory. They do not last long at all. 359, 358 or the other 200 oz version. All of these cog real bad due to the iron in the windings. That is why they are hard to close with a pulling return spring when they lose power.

The servo in my car now will close very easily with a light Losi return spring. It is very accurate and like my friends', they are all on the second and forth cars with the same servo.

Mine was obtained second hand and has never failed me. I burnt 6 Air servos last year. I was tired of it. Something had to change. All I know is we will never go back. Even the owner runs the Futaba servos and he has a sponsorship w/ Airtronics for support.

Futaba will be coming out with a true brushless servo soon. I'm already in line.

We will figure it out.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #4164
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Exclamation

Ditto! From what I hear, avoid scaretronics until this problem has been fixed. I saw 4 brand new servos, out of the box, be non functional! Their quality control stinks right now and the repair department isnt any better!!!

Hitec or Futaba will be my next servo!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #4165
Tech Fanatic

Ace Digital is the way to go!
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #4166
Tech Adept

i'll agree with satoch on the use of the ace servos I have 2 DS1313 which is the best value for a digital servo I only have 1 installed which is in the steering but what a difference it was over that crappy JR590 now to get a higher capacity reciever battery so I wont have to worry about my electronics crapping out on my here i come 2600mah reciever pack
vroom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #4167
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Ditto! From what I hear, avoid scaretronics until this problem has been fixed. I saw 4 brand new servos, out of the box, be non functional! Their quality control stinks right now and the repair department isnt any better!!!

Hitec or Futaba will be my next servo!
How is their repair department lacking? Ive sent in several used servos that I had no clue what they went through, they repaired them very fast, no questions asked. I even sent in my M11 that had no warranty and I had no proof of purchase and they cleaned it for me as I asked ( I run offroad , a very very dusty offroad track, and dust got in the wheel bearing.) Ive only heard great things about their repair department.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 AM   #4168
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Red face

Maybe "lacking" is the wrong word. I would have said "busy" would have been more accurate.
Sent two more servos in today for guys at the shop.

They need to get their stuff together.

We just got a couple of the Ace servos in. I'm going to give them a try.
I'll let you guys know.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #4169
Tech Adept

Default Starter box

I thought I had all the answers with the Losi Starter Box but it won't be available until late july.

So the choices are:

OFNA 10244 The two 775 motor
Mugen MUGB0230 BII
OFNA other (to use this one I need to trim the wheel)

What is the best choice?

Thanks in advance for the info.
cota348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #4170
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

The JConcepts 8ight-T

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/produc...roducts_id/232
AndyMoore is offline   Reply With Quote