Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am wondering where this piece goes? Is the stock one plastic? And does anyone use it?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA4442

Just seeing if I should have LHS order it for me.thanks.

What Ceramic bearings are better, TKO or Extreme Racing?

Last edited by trebor; 06-16-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

It goes in your center diff mount.It has a plastic piece originally.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Boca Bearing Ceramics!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i have the center diff adapter. there is no difference from stock. but i do use the qoncepts split diff set up bought this aluminum piece for longer wear.

for bearings both tko and xtreme have good kits. but the best bearings are Acer ceramics. they are on tower hobbies for like 79.99. entire package. i think they are worth looking at. its gonna be my choice when my bearings start to give.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by joecool
i have the center diff adapter. there is no difference from stock. but i do use the qoncepts split diff set up bought this aluminum piece for longer wear.

for bearings both tko and xtreme have good kits. but the best bearings are Acer ceramics. they are on tower hobbies for like 79.99. entire package. i think they are worth looking at. its gonna be my choice when my bearings start to give.
ok, now I remember where the center diff adapter goes, it works good with the split diff mount, right?

So does everybody else think ACER ceramics are the better ones?

Last edited by trebor; 06-16-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Ive seen the acers and seen the abuse they take and am not impressed. Also, you have to maintain them. Go with Boca Bearing green seals, as they are maintenance free and stay smooth for a VERY long time.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what makes them maintenance free? Are they packed with grease?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Its the seals. They work wonders, and you cant take them out. Ive only had 2 boca bearings go bad on me. They wear out before you get dirt in them. Even so, it takes a darned long time for them to wear out. Just make sure you use the green seals.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

how about Avid bearings? i know that their abec ratings are not that great but i have seen people at the track running them.

i have a question about cleaning the 8ight. do any of you spray the whole car with nitro cleaner like trinity nitro blast? i heard getting the alcohol based products on the plastics turns them a hazy white color and makes them brittle. it will also dry out your bearings.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-mud-buggy.jpg  
Old 06-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

I do buy $1 bearings and use them, but only when I can't get Bocas or need a cheap replacement. Really, you will be amazed by the Boca green seals compared to most other brands. I however would not use the green seals in electric onroad, for that I would use the ceramic ultra seals. But for circumstances where dirt, and moisture may kill the bearings, I havent seen any other "rc" brand last as long as the Green Seals.

As for cleaning, I do not use the nitro blast, as its friggen expensive. Plus its usually not enough for me to clean 1 or more times. So I take the radio tray out, and the engine out, and hose the sucker down. Then I air it off, spray down with wd40, wipe it dry and air it dry, then use a mix of denatured alcohol and simple green. With standard cheapie bearings, I've found the hosing it down to hurt the cheap bearings, and I am not one to worry about bearing maintenance because of my experience with the Bocas.

A friend dropped his nice Acer Ceramic clutch bearing into the dust and it failed that day. Although, it could have been a fluke.....

I have found that the outer hub bearings, the front diff bearings, the steering bell-crank bearings, and the diff bearings connecting the pinion to the driveline stay pretty clean. Now that reminds me, I should change those out, I havent touched those for 3 gallons...any bearing would be worn by then, creating unnecessary vibrations.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Acers...

I have the acer set, but I can't compare them to other ceramics (yet).

They DO require regular maintenance, and depending on the location, they'll hold up reasonably well. The two clutch bearings failed very quickly and the inner hub bearing also sees the lion share of abuse. The others are lasting fine, and providing I pull off the seals and clean them each week, they'll probably last a while longer.

I don't think I'll get a ceramic set again, and will probably pick and choose ceramic or steel depending on bearing type. I certainly don't see any reason at all to use ceramic in the clutch unless money is no object.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about Avid bearings? i know that their abec ratings are not that great but i have seen people at the track running them.

i have a question about cleaning the 8ight. do any of you spray the whole car with nitro cleaner like trinity nitro blast? i heard getting the alcohol based products on the plastics turns them a hazy white color and makes them brittle. it will also dry out your bearings.

Don't buy Nitro Blast; it's an expensive markup of Auto Brake Cleaner, which gets you more for less.

I've sprayed by car with the cleaner and I haven't seen any hazing or change in composition of the plastics. I've also cleaned bearings with it, though it's easier to simple green/alcohol clean them and then relube. which you'll need to do whether you use the brake cleaner or simple green.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Addict

anyone here running the m2c hinge pin plates? i just got the 3 toe 3 anti squat from amain hobbies. my rear end floats much smoother than stock. i wish they made this set up for the front also.

I'm not running the M2c hinge plates but have just fitted the ECK TEC adjustable rear end which goes from 1 deg toe, 1deg antisquat to 3deg toe,4deg antisquat in .5deg steps works really well nd is machined nicely only thing is it needs bigger washers on the catchment screws heres a link

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=4385

also jocool where did you get your losi servo horn from I stripped one of the standard plastic inserts while running 3rd in the a main today with less than 2 minutes to go in a 45 min final

Last edited by RETRO RC; 06-17-2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: wanted to add more to post
Old 06-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Wow! Im wondering if I should just stick to the cheap bearings? I just want bearings that lasted longer than 2 racedays and them being shot. I plan on doing maintenanceto them. Does anyone clean your bearings in the jewelry cleaning tub? I guess Im leaning towards Boca. I was originally gonna get TKO or Extreme racing but nobody wanted to comment on the cheap ones.lol.
NOw in a set from Boca or Acer does it have bearings for every bearing in the 8ight? or do you have to buy clutch ones seperate?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

the only place you can buy the losi servo horn is at bmainhobbies.com they are the only place that has some in stock. they have a few for airtronics and jr servos but have sold out for futabas. if your running futaba servos you may be out of luck until september when they come back in stock. dynamite makes servo horns that are the same as the losi branded stuff. i ran a dynamite in mine until i saw losi came out with their own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.