Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by norman2cycle
Hello guys I jus picked up a losi 8 and was putting on some upgrades on it. If this ???? was asked before(sorry). When putting on the GMK servo tray o-rings do you guys put them in all 4 screws that hold the tray or only in the one that holds the battery box??
thanks in advance
Do you have the RTR or KIT? coz i have the RTR and i put only the 2 o-rings under the box..im also thinking to use the King Headz servo tray stiffiner..any one of you guys recommend using it?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the kit version and I also installed the king headz tray stiffner
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Rookie

does the kit also have an issue with their throttle servo??
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm running 1 AD2 reddish oarange oring under the battery box and haven't had any problems as of yet with anything. Running the King Headz radio tray brace.

My tank does have a mark from the bell screw on it and I'm running the Losi aluminum braces front and rear as well as the King Headz motor mount.

As for the new Losi hop ups. I bet the Losi Team drivers have bags of them in their pit boxes.

And freefallmarine and others acquiring the aluminum rear inserts. I'm running them and still am noticing the front to rear slop you guys are seeing as well. Maybe the rear diff cases warping or twisting causing this? I have a spare set of the aluminum inserts to the highest bidder...

Good luck this weekend down there you guys, be smooth and don't use the marshals too much...
Old 05-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
ari8, I am about to try Casey Peck's shock setup in my 8. It uses 55 piston up front with 32.5wt and 56's in the rear with 27.5. I was pretty happy with the drake setup but I am hoping this will make the car more planted at higher speeds. My car turns beautifully but feels "floaty" at higher speeds. Casey's setup can be found at www.rcsetups.com
Thanks Davidka, I might give that a try if the Truhe isn't to my liking. I bet that Peck's setup gets through the rough stuff really well.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glitchy
I don't think they really exist. They're kind of like all the other great accessories that Losi advertises for the 8ights (Starter box, etc.), just something to get you to buy the car with the hopes of cools things to make it better. But actually getting those accessories may never happen
lol. thats great. ill agree to that one.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by glitchy
I don't think they really exist. They're kind of like all the other great accessories that Losi advertises for the 8ights (Starter box, etc.), just something to get you to buy the car with the hopes of cools things to make it better. But actually getting those accessories may never happen
Oh they exist. I just got 3 sets from a shop in the city we had a series race in. Another guy got 2 sets as well.

Last edited by G Mills; 05-30-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwalters
As for the new Losi hop ups. I bet the Losi Team drivers have bags of them in their pit boxes
i think you'd be surprised, and that's the point i was trying to make - we go thru the same channels as everyone else. If Horizon/TL doesn't have it in stock, it's off to the hobbyshop for the parts that are needed to run. I've done nothing to upgrade (bling) my 8ight - with the exception of two 1/10th scale O-rings under the farthest back battery box screw, and Casey Peck's setup (for the most part) which everyone is talking about above. Another 3/4 of a gallon tonight - no throttle servo issues, no center diff bearing issues, still dialed.

air8 - do you know if Steve/Hutch is planning any bigger regional-size gas races this summer? A few of us were talking about heading out there sometime before it freezes again If you guys get a chance this summer, you should try Dirtworks in Burlington CO for one of their races. No tire wear with great traction and an awesome layout.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

Lars-I will try to get to Burlington. What sort of races are coming up there? Have heard people talk about it here. If it has a track, I'm interested.

I'll ask Steve tomorrow. I think we can talk him into some sort of regionals. He puts on a big electric race in early November every year. I think he needs a big gas race too. Indaway would know more about that than I do. And I'll ask him also. More info to come.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwalters
I'm running 1 AD2 reddish oarange oring under the battery box and haven't had any problems as of yet with anything. Running the King Headz radio tray brace.

My tank does have a mark from the bell screw on it and I'm running the Losi aluminum braces front and rear as well as the King Headz motor mount.

As for the new Losi hop ups. I bet the Losi Team drivers have bags of them in their pit boxes.

And freefallmarine and others acquiring the aluminum rear inserts. I'm running them and still am noticing the front to rear slop you guys are seeing as well. Maybe the rear diff cases warping or twisting causing this? I have a spare set of the aluminum inserts to the highest bidder...

Good luck this weekend down there you guys, be smooth and don't use the marshals too much...
i'll take the inserts off your hands. got any pics
Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G Mills
Oh they exist. I just got 3 sets from a shop in the city we had a series race in. Another guy got 2 sets as well.
Sorry, I read center diff and was thinking of the rear inserts (LOSA4430). My LHS has had several sets (of the rear inserts) back ordered for months and I've checked several online hobby shops 2-3+ times a week for them and have never seen them in stock anywhere!

I understand that the 8ight has done better than expected, but how long can Horizon keep using that as an excuse? Eventually, they need to up their production and get the key parts and accessories on the shelves - check out how many of the 'stock' parts for the 8ight are backordered a AMain. Yesterday afternoon it was about every 4th item. From what I've seen, they've been using the unexpected popularity excuse for quite some time, but during this time they've managed to manufacture almost all the same parts to build and sell truggies.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

air8 - they have round 3 of the CO Nitro series on June 23rd; at the 1st round in April they started around noon and got done about 10pm, Cody J and Darren were there, overall it was a pretty good turnout, and i'm sure about 90% of the gas guys from Denver will be there on the 23rd. The track is like MX tho, a couple awesome timing-jump sections, gate starts and a big straight, i can't find any recent pics of it tho. And almost no tire wear. After the 23rd race, they're doing club races July 28 & Aug 18 @ 6:30 pm, and Sept 15 @ 1:00 pm. Definitely PM me if Steve decides to do something this summer, it wouldnt take much to get a group together from here for a Hutch race
Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

are the new shock bottom caps revised?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Losi's tires must have become unexpected popular about 8 months ago too then
Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Clutch Assembly Issue

Ok so I am assembling my new eight and am down to the clutch and I appear to have 2 issues.

1. Clutch assembly is with in mm of hitting the fuel tank and if there is any chassis flex it will definitely hit.
2. When tightening down the end bell screw the clutch will not spin freely at all. If left loose the clutch is really gritty when turned and when tightened all the way down the end bell will not spin at all, it wants to turn the crank. The buggy hasn't been ran at all and the clutch bearings are new.

I have assembled everything per the manual and am using the King Heads motor mount with the arrows pointing forward (using losi clutch). Also i have cranked on the flywheel nut hard enough that I am concerned about stripping the nut off. I shimmed the clutch per the manual and there was a larger diameter and thicker washer (than the shims) that isnt shown in the manual and is currently not being used. (any ideas)

I have assembled many kits and feel like I know what i am doing but maybe not. Any help is appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.