Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by JWRockman
I called and spoke to Josh today to verify. I have spoken to Josh before and he is good. Anyway, he told me he took the clutch spring rates directly off of a report from Adam Drake and cut and paste the information.
So I am going to go with the Gold and Black combo.
if you dont believe us... go over to the team trinity tech talk thread and ask drake yourself. he will give you the listing i said. silver, gold, green, black.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe you. Its odd that losi doesnt even label the packages but it is plain to see when the springs are in front of you.

Brian I should be fine after tomorrow. I will finally get to race this thing and check it out at the Hobby Hut season opener trophy race. Hopefully it will be good enough to get me an A main finish. Last year with my XB8 I struggled there and only made the B main.

Thanks for the info about the stock clutch. I have heard many Losi buggies with slipping clutches so I thought I would make sure ahead of time what to expect. I didnt buy the bell because I was worried about it wearing out but because all of the online set-ups are using a 13t. I am breaking in a new V-Spec which I hear has really good bottom end power so I am going to start with the 14t but my other engine is smoother on the bottom and would probably benefit from the 13t.

I dont want too much wheel spin either. I think holeshots are going to be the tire for the track I'm going to tomorrow and I dont want to wear them out too fast.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

PTP- I to am running a v-spec in my buggy. I just tried the 13t bell yesterday with the green(carbon)/gold(al.) clutch set up. and I found you have to be easier on the throtal to keep wheel spin down. I am also usein a 2050 pipe, with the red carb insert and the breakin shim still in my motor.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Finally ready for outdoor season.

Body by Justin Zorc of Slikfx (www.slikfx.com)
Motor by Rick Brake of RB Mods (www.rbmods.com)
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-8ight.jpg  
Old 04-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK I'll stop asking dumb questions now. I took it down to the local track and ran some laps. I couldnt race today since I got there too late but I unplugged my transponder and ran a qualifier with the pro class and another tank of practice before my wife called and my son started whining he wanted to go home.

I liked it. It felt really good. I used the Mike Truhe set-up but used the thicker front sway bar instead since Ive heard the buggy needs some time for the rear to break in and that causes it to be loose.

I havent run that track before so I wasnt what I would call fast but I think if I had more time I could have learned the line and starting turning some fast laps.

I thought the car did just about everything well. It jumped nice steered well and I never felt like it was out of shape (either the track was very smooth or it handled rough stuff like it wasnt even there). I noticed it would push a bit if I entered a corner on power and it was loose if I got on the throttle too early but if I coasted through it was perfect.

I look forward to racing tomorrow. I get a full day at the track this time and nobody has run this layout yet so it will be an even playing feild.

micrors4guy I have the same engine set-up but still the stock clutch and 14t bell. I thought it was really good. Actually I never thought about it. It just worked right. I'm going to check it tonight and get everything ready for tomorrow. Ive run 4 or 5 tanks through the engine so far and i'm really pleased its running strong at about 210 and will idle all day long. I love coming down off the driver stand walking over to get my car and its still sitting there idling. Also with the tank clunk now I can wait patiently for the marshalls which I think they appreciate.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey just a quick question for you guys. does anyone know whats up with te 8ight and throttle servo's. right now im on my 4th servo and ive only had it about a month. i took apart all the linkages, reworked them and put in softer fuel tubing and a different servo that i had laying around. i raced today at thunder-rc in elkhorn wisconsin, and now my throttle just sticks in either full break or full throttle and have no radio on it. idk im lost on this issue.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thought you guys might be interested that A Main has the NEW Novarossi 367 Buggy motors in stock. They got them a couple days ago. Still 3 left. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12984
Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jrr102486
hey just a quick question for you guys. does anyone know whats up with te 8ight and throttle servo's. right now im on my 4th servo and ive only had it about a month. i took apart all the linkages, reworked them and put in softer fuel tubing and a different servo that i had laying around. i raced today at thunder-rc in elkhorn wisconsin, and now my throttle just sticks in either full break or full throttle and have no radio on it. idk im lost on this issue.
I would recommend using the grommets that come with the servo. It raises the servo some and also isolates the servo from the vibration of the engine. I think with the motor being closer due to the slim chassis the vibration is killing the servos. Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jrr102486
i raced today at thunder-rc in elkhorn wisconsin, and now my throttle just sticks in either full break or full throttle and have no radio on it. idk im lost on this issue.
if your throtal is sticking with no radio power that is the main cause of the servo failure! you should be able to move the linkage threw its full motion with no binding at all.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I had the same issue when I first had the 8 and also blew a servo (airtronics 358) Most likely the ball end on the carb is rotated wrong. If the servo pulls on the carb wrong and tries to rotate the slide carb, the idle screw is probably binding up on the slide carb, causing the assembly to stick. Ive had it stick so bad that you can not move it with your hands! It was the SETUP, but with that particular issue, a used carb that had some nicks in the slide vale also causing binding.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well i was playing with it today and it worked fine. it to me just seems like it has its moments. now after i was done, it did it where i cant even move it with my fingers, but then it would free itself.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Yup, a friend and I were having the same problem.... Its a b**** for sure. What I do is give it throttle and see if the carb is being pulled to tweak and catch on the idle screw, if it is, rotate the ball end until the slide carb can rotate equally in both directions throughout the servo motion. It is ALOT of work, and hard to do, but the end result is worth it. (no blown servos) Now while driving and it feels like you lose throttle control or it feels like just the throttle is glitching, PULL OFF THE TRACK immediately as your slide carb is probably sticking again.

Haha, dont post when your tired, I realized I just posted this 2 posts ago

I meant to say: Yes, sometimes its nice and smooth and sometimes its not...which has buggered me for quite a while, but not affected me the past 3 weeks.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im planning on buying an 8 rtr in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me what parts I should get with it to get it ready for the track. Or is that baby ready to go racing!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My kit is coming tomorrow. What tools will I need? Clutch tool?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Born2Lose
Im planning on buying an 8 rtr in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me what parts I should get with it to get it ready for the track. Or is that baby ready to go racing!
You need absolutely nothing! Although for your first upgrade I would recommend getting some $80+ servos for throttle and steering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.