R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #2371
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

A Mugen flexes far more than an 8ight. Where did this rep for chassis flex come from? Perhaps a witch hunt for the servo issue?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #2372
Tech Initiate

is the end of the engine's crankshaft supposed to be shorter than the outer clutch bell bearing? mine is and i can't adjust any endplay on the bell. whenever i get the bell to rotate freely there is pretty much zero endplay. any suggestions? the only way i can get the bell to move some is if i leave the retaining screw loose.
steveatcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #2373
Tech Elite

As was said over on the Grid, that's NOTHING for chassis wear. You could get far worse than that, with any car, in one day on an abrasive track.

I've run a chassis so long that you could almost shave with the rear lip of the chassis, it was worn so thin that it was sharp. I couldn't tell one bit of difference between that, and after I put a new chassis on.

Davidka - It's a new car, AND it's a Losi, challenging the decades-old norm of 1/8th scale racing. It's standard practice to complain about it on the internet for at least a year
Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #2374
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

So I think I found my servo issue. The carb seemed to bind up on the idle screw. It only does it periodically so I did not catch it till today, luckily no servo damage that can be seen or felt. That and on the previous epa, I could bring it in from a dead sailor to flat just moments before hitting the ground. (unless you are supposed to do that, im just used to Stadium truck where you must make sure to jump correctly, because there is not much attitude change) Some WD40 and bearing oil and it smoothed right up, then started acting up again. NOT A LOSI PROBLEM! However I did swap out the throttle spring for a Jammin spring, and cut it 2 links shorter. Then added "carb-o's" to aid the spring/ servo in returning the carb back to idle.

About my chassis flex statement a few posts back, Im sure with that much wear there is more flex....IF that represents more than JUST the rear end. Even if it is just the rear end, I would venture to say there is more torsional flex.

Onroad electric guys use different thickness chassis to aid in chassis flex/ track grip, and you arent talking a 4mm chassis to 2mm chassis difference In fact, from talking to an Xray driver, some don't use the "multi-flex tech" chassis, but still just swap the entire chassis for thicker or thinner chassis.

Anyway, I hope to race this tomorrow, and the guys at the track said that if I drive like I did during practice tomorrow, I should be making and/ or winning the A main. However its a redneck track where Ill prob have to run with the truggies, but its a fun group of guys. Now just to test my skillz at Revelation later.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:03 AM   #2375
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec

Quote:
Nice Engine! I have the Mamba in my 8ight. What pipe is that your are using? Also, I noticed that you have a metal brace on the rear and the stock plastic on the front. How does it handle with this setup.
Cheers mate! the AXE is getting better as i put more tanks through it,to be honest i cant feel a difference with the kingheads rear brace..but it does look nice

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #2376
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
So I think I found my servo issue. The carb seemed to bind up on the idle screw. It only does it periodically so I did not catch it till today, luckily no servo damage that can be seen or felt. That and on the previous epa, I could bring it in from a dead sailor to flat just moments before hitting the ground. (unless you are supposed to do that, im just used to Stadium truck where you must make sure to jump correctly, because there is not much attitude change) Some WD40 and bearing oil and it smoothed right up, then started acting up again. NOT A LOSI PROBLEM! However I did swap out the throttle spring for a Jammin spring, and cut it 2 links shorter. Then added "carb-o's" to aid the spring/ servo in returning the carb back to idle.

About my chassis flex statement a few posts back, Im sure with that much wear there is more flex....IF that represents more than JUST the rear end. Even if it is just the rear end, I would venture to say there is more torsional flex.

Onroad electric guys use different thickness chassis to aid in chassis flex/ track grip, and you arent talking a 4mm chassis to 2mm chassis difference In fact, from talking to an Xray driver, some don't use the "multi-flex tech" chassis, but still just swap the entire chassis for thicker or thinner chassis.

Anyway, I hope to race this tomorrow, and the guys at the track said that if I drive like I did during practice tomorrow, I should be making and/ or winning the A main. However its a redneck track where Ill prob have to run with the truggies, but its a fun group of guys. Now just to test my skillz at Revelation later.
but their chassis are the same thickness threwout the hole chassis. In that pic i can guarentee that its just the rear that is that thin, and the rest is the same thickness as a normal new chassis.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #2377
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

We finally got a chance to race mine and my sons 8ights, not much gas racing in Minnesota yet. I had no broken parts and was happy with the way mine handled. My son broke a steering servo right away, (Futaba 9451) I think the servo saver was a little tight and backed it off. He also broke a steering rod end, I was happy to see a ofna one fit. In the first heat he broke a front arm in warmup, he ended up winning the 20 minute b and got up to 3rd in the 25 minute a main with no other issues. I blame part of it on the 30-40 degree temps in the building and the other on the track being very difficult. (I saw a good racer go through 3 arms on a Mugen 5r) My son raced a Jammin last year and has to get used to a different driving style, overall he was impressed wit the buggy and cant wait to get a T.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #2378
Tech Regular

yea i belive the stock setup for the servo saver is way too tight make sure there backed off on both cars..
IR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #2379
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer
We finally got a chance to race mine and my sons 8ights, not much gas racing in Minnesota yet. I had no broken parts and was happy with the way mine handled. My son broke a steering servo right away, (Futaba 9451) I think the servo saver was a little tight and backed it off. He also broke a steering rod end, I was happy to see a ofna one fit. In the first heat he broke a front arm in warmup, he ended up winning the 20 minute b and got up to 3rd in the 25 minute a main with no other issues. I blame part of it on the 30-40 degree temps in the building and the other on the track being very difficult. (I saw a good racer go through 3 arms on a Mugen 5r) My son raced a Jammin last year and has to get used to a different driving style, overall he was impressed wit the buggy and cant wait to get a T.

Rex
Yeah I used to run my buggy and truggy in 30 degree weather, but I would break something everytime. Now if I run in those temps I stick to the flat road.
kylehirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #2380
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone tried a 4 5 2 diff oil setup? just trying to get more off power steering and was wondering if this would help.
weezer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #2381
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer23
Has anyone tried a 4 5 2 diff oil setup? just trying to get more off power steering and was wondering if this would help.
I am gonna try this next for Revelation. My current diff set-up is 5-7-3. Last night my car was very free and carried MAD cornerspeed. Couldn't drive it very comfortably. Track was blown out. Need to numb it down.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #2382
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im just trying to get more steering out of this thing. For some reason it doesnt turn left as hard as it does right, seems like the spindle and hub arrnt fitting together like the right side when at full steer. both sides are setup exactly the same on the radio, just wont turn all the way to the left like it does to the right. anyone else experience this? Im at stock setup right now, any suggestions for getting more steering? Just feels like I have on and off power push and want to get rid of it, I dont use much front brake either so its not brakes plowing.
weezer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #2383
Tech Elite

weezer- im running 453 right now and it is great for our tracks arround here. try useing a thinner sway bar on the front. that should help some with the steering.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #2384
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to scr_achy Send a message via Yahoo to scr_achy

Quick tire question.. I just got some CirmeFighters and was wondering if I should run the foams they come with or get some molded foams. If I should go molded foams which brand do you prefer?

Thanks
scr_achy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #2385
Tech Elite

scr_achy- the crimefighters should come with molded foams. or are these for the 8t