R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #2251
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed
If its th HT Battery, then it is highly recommended to use the HT balance charger and adapter harness to charge this battery. The HT batteries and charger charge the packs in parallel, NOT in SERIES. So this way it can charge each cell independantly. If a cell is going bad, then it won't over-charge the good cell and cause it catch fire. This is the biggest risk of LI-PO batteries. Most chargers are set-up to charge in series. Check out the web-site. The instructions that came with my HT balance charger explained it very well and makes a lot of sense.
I was looking into thos HT batteries but I dont know how much I like the idea of only being able to use their charger. If I put one in each of my buggies, and the starter box, it seems like you would have to have 2 chargers to charge at night if your at a weekend long race to top them back off so your good for the day.

Anyone have experience with the regulators from HT? I can't decide between the 6v and 7v for buggy. Would the 7v be overkill?
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #2252
Tech Initiate

what other makes and types of plug will replace an os p3 and what do you think of a novarossi efra 9901 pipe on a vzb-vspec?
bloodrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #2253
Tech Regular

not trying to be favouring one servo over the other but i just run hitec's and i havent had a problem..plus if one does crap out they will fix it for free and u get it back no longer then 2 weeks..
IR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #2254
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well guys, I rode about 12hours of crappy roads yesterday to run this Eight for the first time indoors and I must say wow! The car felt very good and was actually a little to tight for my style. But once I got used to driving it easy the twitchiness seemed to go away. The track was very high bite and choppy and the car traction rolled alot. But I got faster and faster all day and ended up 4th in the A after qualifying 8th. 2 of the 3 in front of me were Eights...

So what are some of the steps that are first being taken to get rid of the traction rolling? I started with like 27mm ride height in front and 28mm in rear and ended up with 25mm in front and 26mm in rear. My setup is pretty much the same as Adams baselines, I just ended up with a little different oils and pistons. I also ended up 5,5,2 in the diffs.
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #2255
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
Just maybee its not the buggy but the servo. My son and I both have an 8ight and both are set up by me. his had a new airtronics servo and mine has a futaba. I have ran mine about 8 gallons and no issues but about the 2 gallon mark his servo took a crap. Put a futaba in his and all is well.
I know I will stick with either Airtrontics 358s or the JR 9000 series. My guess is that it is setup. Airtronics customer service is great, and I hear they will fix my servos for relatively cheap even though there is no more warranty on them (I think). The Futaba Servos dont have the speed or torque ratings that I am looking for. Not to bash at all, their stats have not impressed me with their analog or digitals. I will only buy servos that are as fast or faster than .10 with a torque of 120oz/in or greater.

Correction: The first 358 that died was on steering. I think that is a wire issue and I am not sure what abuse that one already had. The 2nd 358 that died WAS on throttle and lasted me a little while yesterday.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #2256
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
I know I will stick with either Airtrontics 358s or the JR 9000 series. My guess is that it is setup. Airtronics customer service is great, and I hear they will fix my servos for relatively cheap even though there is no more warranty on them (I think). The Futaba Servos dont have the speed or torque ratings that I am looking for. Not to bash at all, their stats have not impressed me with their analog or digitals. I will only buy servos that are as fast or faster than .10 with a torque of 120oz/in or greater.

Correction: The first 358 that died was on steering. I think that is a wire issue and I am not sure what abuse that one already had. The 2nd 358 that died WAS on throttle and lasted me a little while yesterday.
Before you just look at the specs you might want to actually compare the servos side by side. It seems the Airtronics stats are a little aggressive compared to their performance.
*Topher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #2257
Tech Regular

hmmm...I have to believe it is the setup and not a branch of servo....I guess only time will tell. Regarding servo's, I have used most all the big companies: I ran hitec Tit gear servos in the revo and had a couple go out - hitec has GREAT customer service...they replaced every single one of them for free!! I run Air 358's and Air 758 in my lst2 - still going strong almost 1 1/2 years later....I installed JR 9000T and S in my 8ight and they are working well - those three companies are great imo - I like the feel of the Airs and the JR's better then the hitecs, but that is just a personal thing....
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #2258
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum
hmmm...I have to believe it is the setup and not a branch of servo....I guess only time will tell.
Agreed. Now if I can just find my camera. Then Im sure Ill get railed on by you guys ;-) "Look stupid, the problem is right there!" hehe

Luckily I have another 358 sitting around...but its not going in yet.

Still dreaming about driving this some more. It was just too fun, and it seems perfect for our rutted out track. Now if only the guys at our track were less redneck and let us put more technical stuff in. We only have about 30-40 members at our track, so the deal is anyone can alter whats inside the lanes, but not the layout of the track. A friend and I spent 2 weekends so far putting some technical stuff in. All the others want 5 foot jumps :-( Let the newbs run and not break stuff, or else our membership will only stay at that low low level.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #2259
Tech Apprentice

i got 2 questions. how do u mount the fuel line bracket shoe goo? also can sombody post a pic of the proper way for the throttle/brake servo linkage to be done i don't want to burn out my new servo
Losi XXX MF2
AE FT T4
Tamiya 415 MSX
Losi JRXS
Losi XXXS
robsxxxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #2260
Tech Elite

This is how you are supposed to do it:

Losi 8ight building and setup

I followed those instructions but I still blew 2 servos.
I also shimmed the servo horn up so that the carb linkage would not touch the servo.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #2261
Tech Elite

Make sure to space the servos high enough from the radio tray; quite often, the kit-included spacers are not enough.

Also, a trick to try: Use a 1/2 inch screw as the one that will thread into the bottom of the battery box. Put two of the 1/10th scale size shock o-rings on the screw, in between the chassis and battery box. Only thread the screw in as far as the screw will be flush with the boss inside the battery box. This will help cushion the radio tray from vibration.

When adjusting your end points, make sure the servo tray isn't flexing side to side. You should be able to achieve full throttle and full brake without the servo tray flexing terribly!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #2262
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the link anyone know about the fuel line clip?
Losi XXX MF2
AE FT T4
Tamiya 415 MSX
Losi JRXS
Losi XXXS
robsxxxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #2263
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I totally agree with Aaron on the oring thing, that is what alot of guys seem to be doing to help cure the flexing. After running a few tanks yesterday I gave my car a once over being first time I ran the Eight, and the entire steering servo was loose. So I tightened the servo and in the first qualifier I stripped the servo horn insert, which I thought about replacing anyhow. Put an aluminum one on there and never had anymore problems. I did break a silver clutch spring in two pieces, I'm sure it was just a bad one out of the batch or something. Other than the little things the car is just stuck, maybe more than I would like which I know sounds backwards... I guess you can't complain about being too hooked up!!!
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #2264
Tech Elite

robsxxxs - Scuff up both the tank and the clip, and use Losi glue. Hold it in place until it drives, and you'll be good.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #2265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

well today I tried out the bow-fighters (crimefighters in the front and bowties in the rear). Before I was suffering from a mid turn push with all bowties and with all crimefighters I would have too much traction. Between th 2 the car was Dialed! had just enought steering and would break loose only when I made it come arroudn. This option proved to be great for me as i tq'd and took the main by 3 laps.