R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #2176
Tech Addict

Hey guys, with the outdoor season coming up here soon I thought I'd start buying some spares for my buggy and just get it setup for the upcoming season. What spares do you all carry with you to the track? What breaks the most and what wears out quickly enough that it makes sense to have a spare? Also, I know I've seen it before on this thread, but I can't seem to find it now. What clutch springs work the best with the King Headz clutch shoes? Also, how are the M2C racing clutch shoes? I thought about giving those a try, but they have far too many choices. I wouldn't know where to begin. I hear the King Headz shoes last a good deal of time have a lot of snap. I see the M2C racing shoes are cheaper than King Headz, but I'd like the same features with them where they last awhile but still perform.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #2177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Laterilus -
Hinge pins (both inner and outer), Clutchbell assortment, Center front drive shaft (They last about 4 gallons of good hard driving), carry an assortment of bearings.
Loose the Servo horn on the steering side. The white insert will strip when you need it most. If you do not replace it then carry extra inserts. Take your time when in the proper light to identify and more clearly mark the ones you need for your servos.
Carry the rear clutch bearing 5x13x4. Take the time to clean them out and oil them lightly. Some of these carry five times the grease of a normal bearing. When that grease releases in your clutch it bites!
Get some shock shafts for the front and also shock rebuild kits and bladders.

This thing is almost indestructable as far as plastics go. My original plastics have no slop what so ever. And, I drive like a DORK sometimes!
Hope this helps,
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:46 AM   #2178
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

Rich,
I have studied the throttle servo issue closely and think I might have another measure to help prevent failures.
Cup needs to be short on the thottle side. We know this.
Spring needs to be minimal lengh if using the stock coil. I prefer a lighter spring all together.
I have placed a piece of fuel tubing on my throttle collet side. When your carb is at full throw and your chassis tweaks the fuel tubing will absorb alot of the blow instead of the servo. This does not replace a properly set up EPA but it does allow some fudge factor for the guys new to the LOSI.
TEX

This car runs awesome!
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #2179
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1
Rich,
I have studied the throttle servo issue closely and think I might have another measure to help prevent failures.
Cup needs to be short on the thottle side. We know this.
Spring needs to be minimal lengh if using the stock coil. I prefer a lighter spring all together.
I have placed a piece of fuel tubing on my throttle collet side. When your carb is at full throw and your chassis tweaks the fuel tubing will absorb alot of the blow instead of the servo. This does not replace a properly set up EPA but it does allow some fudge factor for the guys new to the LOSI.
TEX

This car runs awesome!
thats not a bad idea, but I would still run that 1-2mm clearance from wide open throttle

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #2180
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt
And maybe I just have bad luck, but my very first run with my 8ight with the personal transponder mounted to the top of the radio tray I took I hit on the side that broke one of the transponder mounting ears off.

I then noticed that Rich had his PT mounted to the bottom of the radio tray using those exact same holes. It's MUCH more protected down there. I highly recommend it (and thank Rich for the idea).

Mounted on top, the PT extends over the side of the radio tray and can pretty easily take a direct hit with nothing but the flimsy body to protect it, but mounted to the bottom it's protected by the chassis mud guards and close proximity to the chassis.
not only is the personal way more protected being down there, but it will give off a stronger signal when the crossing the loop Less chance of "missed" laps.

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #2181
Tech Addict

Tex1, all good points. I've been running 1/8 scale long enough though to have that knowledge handy. I didn't know about the center drive shaft, but I probably should have figured on that one. How about the drive cups? Do they stay relatively new and usually you are just replacing the shafts?

Also, does anyone have an answer to my clutch shoes questions? I hear the Losi clutch goes quickly and I hate replacing clutch shoes often.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #2182
Tech Addict

Is the 8ight truggy is base on the 8ight? Everything is the same except the arm is longer and tyres are wider?

How long has been the 8ight buggy released?
ioxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #2183
Tech Fanatic

I think the chassis is longer too.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #2184
Tech Elite

Truhe's Nitro Challenge winning 8IGHT setup
Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #2185
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

Got my Eight today... these things are awesome.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #2186
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I notice on Truhe's buggy clutch set up he is running Alum. shoes with gold springs, and Plastic shoes with silver springs. Will that engage a little sonner or a little later than the stock set up? In the Truggy set up he is running the stock set up.
Dale.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #2187
Tech Elite

Later. Running Truhe's clutch setup will give your car lots of bottom end snap. Not for those without throttle control!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #2188
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

would this be something for higher grip situations only?

How fast does those plastic shoes wear out?
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #2189
Tech Regular

Tire compound ? 1:

In the past 2 years of racing 8th scale. The tire compound have been the same for both front and rear for most setups that I have used. Why don't anyone run two different compounds?
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #2190
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't know how many people label their tires per foams and tire compounds, but I don't do it very often, except on my gas truck tires. You have 4 wheel drive, so maintaining traction and balance can be done in other ways.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote