R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #2131
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Would anybody

Would anybody mind helping me with these questions. Thank you.
OK I have a couple question. 1-Lets say I am going into a turn with my 8ight and it seems the back wants to swing around to much, What should I do?

2- Lets say when I go and take a turn the rear end just makes my car flip like a traction roll, What should I do?

3- Ok and what Does the word BITE mean.

4- when do I know when I need to adjust droop and toe in or toe out.

Thank you guys so much. I also just wanted to say this is the most helpfull website I have ever been on. Also, why I am asking all these questions is becasuse I am new to 1/8 scale and I would like to know what ever other 1/8 scaler is talking about when talking about there setup's. Thanks you guys soooo much again.
losi8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #2132
Tech Regular

PHP Code:
Would anybody mind helping me with these questionsThank you.
OK I have a couple question1-Lets say I am going into a turn with my 8ight and it seems the back wants to swing around to muchWhat should I do?

2Lets say when I go and take a turn the rear end just makes my car flip like a traction rollWhat should I do?

3Ok and what Does the word BITE mean

4when do I know when I need to adjust droop and toe in or toe out

Thank you guys so muchI also just wanted to say this is the most helpfull website I have ever been onAlsowhy I am asking all these questions is becasuse I am new to 1/8 scale and I would like to know what ever other 1/8 scaler is talking about when talking about there setup's. Thanks you guys soooo much again.  
losi8ight 
View Public Profile 
Send a private message to losi8ight 
Find More Posts by losi8ight 
Add losi8ight to Your Buddy List 

2: the word BITE is talking about traction. less BITE is no traction.

3. If your buggy is spinning out it has no rear BITE.

4: if your buggy is rolling you may have some binding in the buggy. You could have a shock shaft bent. If you have no binding in the arms or shocks they you are getting to much Bite (traction) which is causing the car to roll over.
OR
you could be going way to fast in the corners.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #2133
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I read above about guys wanting to run a wider width to give more stability. You don't use a spacer anywhere, we are running the Mugen 2mm offset hubs which will widen out the car 4mm total. Some guys were only running them on the front in Columbus, instead of front and rear. You can find them at CarolinasRc or Amain in know. They're fairly reasonable priced and make a nice tuning option to have. If you don't want the full 4mm change you can get the 1mm offset ones, both slide right on and give the width you like. I sold 3 full sets of them to guys at Columbus, the were a hot thing to try!!!
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #2134
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

on my car im running the +1mm in front and the +2mm in rear and i love it!
scotty5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #2135
Tech Adept

Talking Hey guys

Hey guys I have a question for you. I put 5-5-2 diff oil in my losi 8ight and I just finished a gallon of gas on that same diff oil. Well I took the rear diff out And I looked in it and the oil I put in it looks like dirty grease and it does not look like oil anymore. So my question is, is this what happeneds to diffs after some run time on them and should I replace the fluied now. Also how long do you check your diffs. One more thing should I grease the out sides of the diff like inside the housing if so what grease works the best, would it be green slime. Thanks guys very much.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #2136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi8ight
Hey guys I have a question for you. I put 5-5-2 diff oil in my losi 8ight and I just finished a gallon of gas on that same diff oil. Well I took the rear diff out And I looked in it and the oil I put in it looks like dirty grease and it does not look like oil anymore. So my question is, is this what happeneds to diffs after some run time on them and should I replace the fluied now. Also how long do you check your diffs. One more thing should I grease the out sides of the diff like inside the housing if so what grease works the best, would it be green slime. Thanks guys very much.
I replace diff oil after 4 hours of track time. Wich is usually 2 Saturday's of racing. And yes, the diff oil will break down and get discolored after use. Especially the lighter diff oils as they see more "diff action", more heat and etc....

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #2137
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

Can't wait to get my hands on the Eight... less then 48 hours!
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #2138
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
I replace diff oil after 4 hours of track time. Wich is usually 2 Saturday's of racing. And yes, the diff oil will break down and get discolored after use. Especially the lighter diff oils as they see more "diff action", more heat and etc....
Ok so it is time to change diff oil. And Yes I was running 2k in the rear. Also supermaxx it is like there was no diff oil in there at all it just looks like thin grease. Is that because it just broke down.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #2139
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi8ight
Ok so it is time to change diff oil. And Yes I was running 2k in the rear. Also supermaxx it is like there was no diff oil in there at all it just looks like thin grease. Is that because it just broke down.
yes

-HB Racing-Pro Line Racing-OS Speed-MKS Servos-VP Race Fuel-Hobbywing-SANWA-J&T Bearings-Tony Screws
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #2140
Tech Adept

Default Thanks

Thanks supermaxx. Ok it seems like you know a lot and you are very helpfull. Now I know I have ask these questions already but nobody explained to me what they really me. So if you would not mind helping me out again and I promise I am done with the questions for a while. Thank you again supermaxx. Well here are the questions.
OK I have a couple question. 1-Lets say I am going into a turn with my 8ight and it seems the back wants to swing around to much, What should I do?

2- Lets say when I go and take a turn the rear end just makes my car flip like a traction roll, What should I do?

3- Ok and what Does the word BITE mean.

4- when do I know when I need to adjust droop and toe in or toe out.

Thank you guys so much. I also just wanted to say this is the most helpfull website I have ever been on. Also, why I am asking all these questions is becasuse I am new to 1/8 scale and I would like to know what ever other 1/8 scaler is talking about when talking about there setup's. Thanks you guys soooo much again.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #2141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

losi8ight-
1. if your back end wants to swing arround you can try several different things:
1) thicker rear diff oil
2) move the outer camber link into the middle(b) location
3) move the rear hubs back
4) thicker rear swaybar

2. once again there are several different thinks you can try here. most of them are the opposite of what i said before. just make shure you have tire selection right.

3. the word "BITE" summed up means traction.

4. you adjust droopand toe when you want to alter how the car enters and exits a turn, and how it goes threw the bumps (droop)
Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #2142
Tech Adept

Talking ok

Ok thank you micros4guy. Now lets say my buggy is pushing around a turn real bad like when I turn it does not want to turn it just wants to keep going straight, what could I do for that. Also how exactley to I move my rear hubs. Sorry again for all thes questions I am new to 1/8 scale buggy. Thanks again you guys are a bunch of help
Old 02-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #2143
Tech Rookie

Also, when your out on the track and you notice things like the backend spinning out, or it pushing, try to think about when it is happening. Ask yourself questions like, is it spinning out entering a corner? While in the corner? Or while exiting? and also if you are on the gas or not. It helps give people a better idea of why things are happening to your car, and also teaches you what to look for in the future.
LuckySleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #2144
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Wink

Losi8ight -
1. Back wants to swing when entering a corner. It is either too much front side traction or too little rear traction.
Front = Go to stiffer shock spring, stiffer sway bar, heavier diff fluid. Change toe out towards zero. Raise the ride height of the front. Decrease Steering. Go to lower traction tire. Increase front droop. These things tone down "Steering" Traction.
Rear = Move upper links outwards on the upright. Set toe in to 3 degrees. Set antisquat to a lower value (level the arms). Go to a softer shock spring. Thinner sway bar. Shorter wheel base. Raise your ride height. Go to a slighlty heavier diff fluid.
These things help keep the rear locked in when going into a corner.

Don't let the car get up on it's nose. Adjust your breaks where you run a smooth line through the corner.

2. If you are traction rolling is is tires 80% of the time. Go to something with a little less side traction.
Rear = Decrease rear droop. Change upper link towards inside hole on the upright. Lengthen wheel base. Lower ride height to reduce side weight transfer. Go to stiffer sway bar. Stiffer springs. Lay your shock down some or go up in oil weight...
All of these things will lessen your side traction when comming into a corner.

3. BITE is total traction. When discussing tires, 100% of the traction is divided into forward and side BITE characteristics. This is tire tuning.
100% of one tire might not be = to 100% of another tires total traction.
The Losi 8 seems to like a tire has a little more forward BITE and a little less Side BITE. After tires you can only tune the last 20% with chassis configuration. No adjustment you make will give you that great of a difference that a tire with a different BITE characteristic will give you.

4. Droop is about chassis attitude. Transfer of weight from one wheel to the next when changing directions or speeds. Droop adjustment (down travel after ride height) is at minimum when the jumps and other obsticals are low and traction is high. The adjustments are increased (more travel) when traction is low or you need to soak up the bumps or landings better. In general run a little less droop in the front than in the back.
Toe - Read your manual for this one. 3 degrees toe in in the rear and 2 degrees toe out in the front. The manual is awesome for the description. More toe slows you down but makes you more stable. It is give and take.

Go with the Drake setup sheet. Drive the car. Fill out the sheet so that we can get clear understanding of where you are. Surface, Measurements... Then we can better pin point solutions that will be good for you.
I will ask a lot of questions, so be ready. I just wish these guys would do material that diffrentiates between steering and rotation.
Read your book in the back. THere is some good stuff there.

TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #2145
Tech Adept

Default thank you luckyseven

Thank you for the good advice luckseven.