R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-30-2006, 02:34 PM   #166
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasrc
I didn't notice that anyone had mentioned this. This is my first highend buggy since the MP-5, so I don't know come this is now, but I love it. The tanks has a clunk in it like and airplane tank. When the car is upside down, unless you are really low on fuel, fuel will still get delivered. This is great. The thing you need to make sure of is that the clunk is free to move: doesn't hang-up on anything inside. Turn and flip the tanks gently and slowly. The clunk shoul be able to go from top to bottom of the tank without you having to shake or tap the tank.

It may not be a bacd idea to put a bead of silicone sealer around the outside of where the fuel tube goes into the tank. The tube is in there tightly....but there is no slick fuel has come into the picture yet. Also, the bead may help protect the opening from debri when you are using high pressure air to clean your buggy.
this feature was also on the S3....i have had a few get sticky becasue fuel was left in the tank and gummed it all up...make sure you blow you fuel lines out to clear it out before you store it for long periods
SPZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #168
Tech Elite

speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

has anyone elses universals developed a squeek after a couple runs? mins have just wondering if other ppl are getting this.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking Pretty Cool.....

Drove mine yesterday for the first time. Very smooth suspension. Didn't go into the corners as hard as I thought it would. I'll have to spend more time on this part.
You don't even hear this thing land when it is right. Stab the trigger and go.
The 14T clutch bell needs a little help on our tight track. I usually run a 12T on my Hyper 8. I'll wait to get a 13T bofore any more on this since it is what Drake and Travis seems to run.

The rear seemed a little loose. With all of the weight forward I can see why. This thing does seem to hold an incredible amount of corner speed if you keep it real smooth.

I didn't get any squeeking in the CVDs though. Car seems pretty tight.
I'll keep you guys updated.
TEX
<------ not done yet!
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #171
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec

i have a hyper 8 atm and it is a great car,i want to know what you guys think of the losi 8ight compared to the hyper 8

i would appreciate this very much

thanks

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #172
Tech Master

If you want the best deal on an 8 call up hot rod hobbies in Saugus, CA. The number is (661)-255-2404
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #173
Tech Champion

Well, for whatever reason, I keep killing throttle servos. I've been through two JR Z590s in as many days. Nothing appears to be mechanically wrong, the gears in the servo feel perfect and nothing in the car is binding. They just fried suddenly. I double and tripple checked my EPA, and they didn't even buzz on full throttle and only a little bit on full brakes. I had the first one in my Mayhem for about 6 months, and it never gave me any issues. I bought another JR650(that's what I had on steering), switched the used one to the throttle and put the new one on steering. If I kill a JR650, I'm calling Losi, this just doesn't make any sense...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #174
Tech Adept

R40Victim, check for binding with your rx off. rotate the throttle servo by hand. see if there is any binding. You posted before that the brake linkage got fouled up somehow. You might want to try a complete teardown of the break / center diff. And rebuild step by step with the manual. Maybe you missed something?
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #175
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to GeneralG

Here is an 8ight body I painted up for Indaway. Thought it would be cool to keep with the 8ight scheme of things so I painted an 8 ball with flags on it. The flame licks are faded back into a pearlized green on the tips, hard to tell in the pictures.

Can't wait till I get a Losi 8ight! This buggy rocks!

Old 10-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #176
Tech Champion

Quote:
R40Victim, check for binding with your rx off. rotate the throttle servo by hand. see if there is any binding. You posted before that the brake linkage got fouled up somehow. You might want to try a complete teardown of the break / center diff. And rebuild step by step with the manual. Maybe you missed something?
I went back through it before installing the second servo, and everything appears to be working corectly. The problem was, I had tightened the upper part of the center diff mount too much. I backed out the 2 screws on that side just a bit, and the brakes work perfectly. It drives very well, but I have it set a little touchy to get around all the tight corners at our relativly small track. On the one straight/high-speed section, it's still a little squirly. The DX3 remote I'm using doesn't have Expo, so I can't calm it down without limiting the throw.

The temporary motor I'm using is a nasty, .27 nine port from an old 8th scale on-road RTR I had lying around. It, coupled with the JP-2 pipe, make it a little too fast for me I've been taking it very easy, getting familiar with the car. I just handed the body over to be painted, so I'll have to wait a few days to test the new throttle servo...
Old 10-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
Well, for whatever reason, I keep killing throttle servos. I've been through two JR Z590s in as many days. Nothing appears to be mechanically wrong, the gears in the servo feel perfect and nothing in the car is binding. They just fried suddenly. I double and tripple checked my EPA, and they didn't even buzz on full throttle and only a little bit on full brakes. I had the first one in my Mayhem for about 6 months, and it never gave me any issues. I bought another JR650(that's what I had on steering), switched the used one to the throttle and put the new one on steering. If I kill a JR650, I'm calling Losi, this just doesn't make any sense...
did you use the rubber gromets that come with the servo? a few years back, i have found out that it greatly increased the life of my throttle servos. it's not necessary on the steering servo but a must on the throttle/brake servo. i also have the jr z590m installed on my 8ight.

i also had the same issues as you with the rear brake cam sticking if you tighten down the top plate. the bolt has to be backed out about 1 turn for tight.

some other little things.............i'll be calling losi/horizon tomorrow so they can send me a new rear brake cam that broke the groove for the e-clip when i was screwing in the set screw and i need another rear camber link rod end because i was short 1 and had 1 extra off set rod end. i had to file the hole of the all the spider gears to remove flashing so it spins smoothly on the shaft. i had to file 2 cva axles so they wouldn't bind.

anyone notice the rear diff ring and pinion is very noisy? the backlash is set right. the front spins very smooth and free without noise. not a big deal, just an observation

after running the 8ight today for the first time at the track, i also noticed the squeeky cva's.

oh and another thing. i'm not a big fan of the fuel tube thru the tank with the pick up stone. sounds like a good idea but i had 1 flame out with about 1/8th of a tank left. i looked inside and i saw the fuel tube turned around 180* with the stone hung up the screw boss for the tank spacer which i removed. so the stone is in the middle of the tank and not at the rear. the stone was partialy in the fuel. maybe it starved the engine upon acceleration. happened just once and after a crash.

Last edited by Buggy Master; 10-01-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Buggy Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:06 AM   #178
Tech Champion

I'll try the rubber spacers. I suspected it could be the "violent vibration" that this nasty RTR motor makes. I had forgotten about the missing parts in mine. The drive pins for the diff gears were missing for the center diff. I almost snagged the ones out of the rear diff, so I'd have time to get replacements. Turns out, the pins for an R40 2 speed are the same size.(I had bought a bag full a couple years ago, so I happened to have plenty...luck for me)

It's a brand new kit; sure to have some growing pains. But overall, Losi did a good job creating a very new idea for an 8th scale buggy.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #179
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to GeneralG

Anyone running a standard 3 shoe clutch and flywheel setup with the 8ight? I'm curious if they will work or does just the 4 shoe stock clutch and flywheel work?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #180
Tech Apprentice

Guys on S-Grid have made the change with no problems,but stock clutch seems to be really good.
philc is offline   Reply With Quote