R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #1546
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

mugenchad - don't follow us sheep, be your own shepard and herd your own.

Ryan - what are those wheel nuts on your car and where did you get them? I like them and have never seen them before, I like the idea that they are capped, keeping all that crap out of the axle.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #1547
Tech Regular

Are you gonna re-register as "Losichad"?
RYAN BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #1548
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power
mugenchad - don't follow us sheep, be your own shepard and herd your own.

Ryan - what are those wheel nuts on your car and where did you get them? I like them and have never seen them before, I like the idea that they are capped, keeping all that crap out of the axle.
True advice to Chad!

o.s.- Those are the X-ray captioned wheel nuts, they will inner change with the Mugen but I'm not sure of the 8ight's thread pitch?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #1549
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Come on Barnes, I'm just looking for some advice on how the Mugen guys running the Losi now feel it handles to them... All I get is crap from you.
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #1550
Tech Regular

You know I'm just messin with ya, hey it's your money run what you want!! I drove an 8ight at CRCRC at a club race once and really liked how it cornered, they are good kits, give one a spin and let me know what you think.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #1551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN BARNES
True advice to Chad!

o.s.- Those are the X-ray captioned wheel nuts, they will inner change with the Mugen but I'm not sure of the 8ight's thread pitch?

the whole shepard thing is sort of an inside joke up here in Michigan.

BRAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #1552
Tech Addict

I know O.S. I'm not going to be one of those sheep. The Mugen is a good car by all means, but the EIGHT looks so good on the track and I want to try one for awhile. Just looking for feedback from others who have switched to the Losi from the Mugen. Oh and Barnes, this isn't the MBX5 thread Someday we need to get together and do some racing again bud.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #1553
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Those of you who use the TKO o-rings did you have to go lighter on the shock oil's? Did it change the dampning much?
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #1554
Tech Master

MugenChad, I made the switch in early November. The Mugen is a great car & the "R" is even better but I think the Losi works better. My track is usually very rough & the 8 soaks it up great. It's light (which makes it fast). It's tough. I have run it at least 2.5 to 3 gallons thru it now without a single failure. The only work I have done on it was to clean it & change clutches & bearing. I ran the Mugen since the day the mbx5 came out & Kyosho inferno's (Kani) before that.

Last edited by RBMike; 01-25-2007 at 07:51 AM.
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #1555
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Those of you who use the TKO o-rings did you have to go lighter on the shock oil's? Did it change the dampning much?
well i read that you need to break them in. when i installed mines, i didn't like the feel. it felt noticably tighter. that was 1 tko inside and stock o-ring outside. my next race is this weekend and i don't have time to run the buggy to break them in so i went back to the stock o-rings. i did install a thin traxxas teflon washer to squeeze the stock o-rings a little more and they feel just right. i'll find out if they leak this weekend. this is just my personal experience. tko has great products.
Buggy Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #1556
Tech Rookie

Mugenchad: I still drive both. Cant decide which one, both are very good cars. In my opinion, the 8ight hands down jumps the best. The Mugen, i feel it turns a little better. With the 8ight, I have a mid corner push which i keep getting cut on the inside by Mugens, If I can just figure out how to dial in the 8ight a little more, I think it might be the car Im going to race this season. I get similiar lap times with both. Of course, I live in Japan, so Mugen parts are available everywhere which causes me to steer more towards the Mugen again.

Ha ha, buy them both and test them, there's always ebay, just let us know when your gonna sell.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #1557
Tech Addict

Well I got the EIGHT yesterday and started the build and it's going pretty well. I can't believe how much fluid they are saying to fill the diffs compared to what I'm used to with the Mugen and other cars. So far so good, I can't wait to run it.

Is there anything I should watch with this tank? It's different and I know that the clunk needs to be able to move top to bottom when you tip it up but that's about it so far.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #1558
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As long as the clunk is free to move, and towards the back of the tank, you should be fine. We thought that there'd be no way to use all the fuel in the tank with a clunk like that, but when I run it out of gas, it's dry in there!

You were saying that the mid corner push is bothering you. I had the same problem, and have an experiment going to solve it. Our track was under water most of the last 2 weeks, so I couldn't get out there to test it. We spent a few hours with wet/dry vacs out there last night...then it rained again It was a light sprinkle, so hopefully we didn't waste our time. The sun is shinning, so in theory, I can test it this evening. If it does like I hope, it'll be DIALED! The reason I believe so, there was a guy at the last race with an 8ight that was handling the way I wanted mine to, he could rotate the car at will, at any point in the corner, and it wasn't too loose. I'll be testing my theory ASAP.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #1559
Tech Adept

R40,
What is the theory you are going to use??? Please enlighten us
GTB_USER_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #1560
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd hate to mislead anyone, that's why I want to test the theory first. It's not an uncommon thing to do, but I've only seen one 8ight handle the way I really want mine to. I call it a theory because I didn't get a chance to ask the guy about his setup. I did, however, pull off my fastest lap ever on the nearly box stock setup I had on the car. It did really well, but it would push just a bit in the middle and exiting the corner. If my theory is correct, then I'll have solved that problem, and get the .5 -.75 second I need to be on par with the local bad asses. It took me about a year to catch the better drivers when I was running on road, so this should be about the same... I hope... in theory!
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote