Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i can help with the o-rings if someone can give me the correct sizes. i can get someone in my purchasing dept. to order them from the vendor that we use for all of our r-rings and fastners, i know that they use probably about 300-500 different sizes of o-rings, and i know that they also use the buna type too. i work for GE so i know that i can get someone in purchasing to locate what everyones needs.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Any one know where i can get TKO 8ight shock o-rings, besides the tko or amain site's? There both out of stock. Would any other hobbyshop carry them? Thank's.
TKO finally has them in stock again. Hurry though... they only have 8 sets left.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thank's rwlkr, for the heads up. Im gonna clean them out.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by vr6
thanks for everyones' input, i tried everything. but still have some bad clicking, it seems that if the screws are a little loose, it quiets up, but then there is a gap for small debris to get it
Not to insult you or anything, but are you sure the front diff is not backwards? During a race day, I was in a real hurry, I installed a front diff backwards, it binded up on something. Also check to see if the drive cup is not binding up to the diff housing, Also bearings could be going out. Thats all I can think of based on personal experience.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you put the diff in backwards the tires rotate in the wrong direction!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

You can not put the diffs in backwards in the Losi. Bearings and drive cups could be the culpret. Also check to make sure the drive shaft gear and and the crown gear is not too tight.
TEX
Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The two shafts inside the diff that hold the idler gears are ground down in the middle so that they interlock and can therefore lay on the same plane.

One more thing to check is that those two flat spots in the dead center of those two shafts are perfectly interlocked with each other. If they are not, then things would bind up for sure.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

The new 1/8 Losi Pink Tapers are an excellent tire, probably one of the best tires I have ever ran indoors. Just like with the 2wd version that I run on my B4 electric buggy, they give excellent traction and extreme stability, very predictable. Thanks to Adam Drake I was able to run a set in my main at the CRCRC Indoor Gas Champs, and that was the most consistent my car felt all weekend. Though alot of people there who just glanced at them said they are just like Switch 2.0's, their not! I have a side by side pic of the Losi Taper and Switch 2.0, as for height and shape the Losi Tapers are the same profile, but they are wider and the bars in the middle are spaced more and have a small pin in between each bar. A definite MUST in any racers tire bag!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the taper pin and switch are similar because the switch tire is a knock off a taper pin from way back.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

let me rephrase that.....the switch was made to combat the losi taper pin....panther however was the first to make one for 1:8 scale buggy.

no knock on the panther tire....they just were not the first with this style of tire. thats all simple observation.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Also guys to add to what Ryan said, the losi tire is wider but the ID is also larger than a standard tire so if you want to run the same tire set-up as Adam make sure you mount them on losi rims, they have a larger OD and are wider than a standard rim ..... and I beleive are acctually the only true legal wheel . If you would like a "more rounded" tire surface you can mount them on any other wheel to get that affect and they still work great but on the smaller wheel there seems to be a ton of side bite... I ran them both ways and they are sweet either way!
As Ryan said they do work great and my buggy was also the best on the losi tapers most of the weekend.

Last edited by SCUBA STEVE; 01-24-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Where can you get those 1/8 tapers?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by weezer23
Where can you get those 1/8 tapers?
To my understanding it's gonna be a little while before their available to the public. Those pink compound Tapers were the first 1/8 sets out and he said Losi was working on them in the Red compound to try this weekend at the Losi race in Florida. I'd say a release will be announced on Neo-buggy or the Grid.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CaseyP
let me rephrase that.....the switch was made to combat the losi taper pin....panther however was the first to make one for 1:8 scale buggy.

no knock on the panther tire....they just were not the first with this style of tire. thats all simple observation.
Your right and I'm sure anyone with any racing experience or past can remember taking the Losi 1/10 truck pink Tapers and trimming them and stuffing Trinity foams in them and glueing them on 1/8 wheels. Alot of tracks outlawed that, but some guys still have them in their bag to this day because they were so good.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

I'm looking for a little feedback from guys who have switched from the Mugen camp and are now running an EIGHT. Thinking about switching and just wondering what you all think as compared to the Mugen. I've heard some things from people but I'm still confused as with what to do. Any feedback would help my decision.... Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.