Losi Truggy

Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Kickup vs. caster....

I'm not sure but I think the kickup is less than 20 degrees. The caster is 20 but the kickup is less. There is extra caster built into your spindle carriers on the outside. When you change the kickup with the inserts it will still change caster as well.
22 - 18 degrees is correct.
When I get to the shop Monday I'll measure the chassis kickup and let you guys know what it is.
TEX
Old 10-07-2007, 01:26 AM
dol
Tech Rookie

Default new to offroad

just looking at geting into off road racing
my local track/lhs are awsome

im currently looking at the losi 8ight t rtr

now i know its not quite up to par with the "race roller"
but its cheeper for me to get on the track and get racing

is it a good base for me to start with and replace parts
to bring it up spec with the "race roller"
i mean diff oils,shock springs/oils,swaybars,alloy hop up parts and servos

am i going in the right direction or should i stop bing so tight and shell
out for the race roller and wait longer while i save up.

who has races the rtr is it any good??
Old 10-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You could win races with the RTR, BUT since you're planning on racing I would look into getting the roller instead and maybe scoring on a used radio (the RTR radio is pretty good, the throttle servo is a POS tho) to cut costs. I was also suckered into getting an RTR but face it, this sport is dammed expensive so that money you saved getting the RTR is going to cost you alot more in the long run if you plan on racing. (especially since it sounds like you're planning on replacing parts) RTR's are mostly for "bashers" who just want to have fun. Funny thing is that bashers really need the most durable equipment, and the race roller is more durable. Then again if you're unsure about this sport, then RTR might be a good "trial" truck.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I have to object to this. The RTR Losi is one of the closest to full race version vehicles in the industry. It is one of the few that you will use the motor, pipe and radio. For the race roller you would buy good servos anyway so that is a wash.

Coreless Futabas. Get throttle first S9451 and then a good steering servo S9351.

Keep the radio and receiver.

Get shock towers only after you have bent them. The truck body protects them pretty well.

Tires are good.

It has a RX pack.

Clutch shoes, shock springs and oils and you are racing. You do not need a lot of fancy parts to make it run right and ensure you learn about racing.

I think it is an incredible value compared to other RTR kits.
TEX
Old 10-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, it seems you can't go wrong with either truck. Make sure to read/search out questions you might have on this thread. Tons of good info and suggestions. I know my roller has been bullet proof. Always finished the mains. But I didn't get my T till about July. So I only have half a season on it. the few qualifiers I didn't finish were engine flameouts and one where I forgot to tighten the screw on my steering link. My bad. I can't speak enough about how awesome these trucks are. So easy to drive and fast too.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM
dol
Tech Rookie

yea read this whole thread the other day

properly go order the RTR today its only gonna cost $1300nzd
compeered with the $1150nzd of the roller

plus i really have no other parts to use in it(engine, servos, radio gear.) and second hand parts are a little harder to come by down here so all new stuff

also our limit on engine size is .21 unless it comes with a bigger one i think the rtr is a .28 is it like that in the US?

so i think rtr will be the go for me i just hope it doesn't take too long to come in

and just gota find a way of hiding it from the girl lol

thanks all
Old 10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

The engine with the RTR is the Mach 427 which is .26 It will be a great engine for you. Do you're best to set the EPA of the throttle and steering servos. The one time I killed a servo in mine, I had not spaced the servo off of the chassis and it was getting the same impact force the chassis was when landing/crashing. I'm not sure if the RTR comes with plastic spacers. It should. Also I suggest doing the captured rod end modification. Peace of mind. But it's not necessary.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dol
yea read this whole thread the other day

properly go order the RTR today its only gonna cost $1300nzd
compeered with the $1150nzd of the roller

thanks all
hey DOL,
you can get a race roller from NZ for $1099 nzd no matter what you buy if you want to race it you'll have to change tyres as the rims are elegal in NZ at this stage

http://rcb.shopnz.biz/catalog/index....af4fad74c8a635

where abouts are you based if you need setup help on tracks down here I'd be more than happy to help you out.

couple of things to look out for when importing to New Zealand are

1. if the package is worth more than $400 nzd you'll have to pay GST
( got caught out on this one)

2. if the package is worth more than $1000 nzd inc GST you'll get hit with an importers licencing fee.

so be careful it may just be cheaper to buy in NZ

I don't know if you use the hobby direct forums or not but heres a link anyway
http://hd.raptor.co.nz/phpBB2/

Adrian

Last edited by RETRO RC; 10-08-2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Why are the tyres illegal? Cause of being larger diameter? Would that mean that Maxx size wheels are what you're supposed to use? I like using the larger diameter wheels/tires.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

HI,

sorry but all the post are very longer !

What is the best Setup oil diff for a speed track ?

7 / 10 / 5 (rear)

thank you
Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

The diff oil really depends on how you like the truck to feel and what the truck needs for a certain track. 7/10/5 is the stock roller setup and it works well for most places. Each driver likes his/her own feel though. I suggest to swap fluid on practice days and see what you like. I have oil weights below and above to be able to adjust if I feel like it. Never have though. If the vehicle is a RTR, put 7/10/5 in after cleaning the grease out and enjoy.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by air8
Why are the tyres illegal? Cause of being larger diameter? Would that mean that Maxx size wheels are what you're supposed to use? I like using the larger diameter wheels/tires.
you got it in one the legal rim size in NZ is currently 95mm measured where the bead of the tyre meets the rim and the losi is around 100- 102mm something like that and we are not due for a rule change until about september next year
Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
you got it in one the legal rim size in NZ is currently 95mm measured where the bead of the tyre meets the rim and the losi is around 100- 102mm something like that and we are not due for a rule change until about september next year
That sucks. If you're allowed a larger engine if it comes with the vehicle then the oversized rims should be allowed cause they come with it. Gotta find a loop hole man. Good luck. So if you don't follow the rules do they kick you out, or just don't count your progress? LOL. Kidding.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi,

What do you think Mike Truhe tires on Novarossi GP ???

What is it ?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Don't know. I can't make out the tread pattern.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.