R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #1111
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Some people do use the aluminum, but it seems to be more of a tuning preference. The Losi 1/8th vehicles are very tough. The parts breakage is minimul. I've only seen one broken arm, nasty crash into the edge of a plywood board. I've seen a couple of bent shock shafts.

Everyone I race with seems to be using the plastics still. I've seen one or two guys put some aluminum on, and they report that they didn't notice a difference. Here on Tech some have said they like the way they perform with the aluminum. It's up to you, but the aluminum upgrades aren't necessary. The buggy and truggy are super strong. I'm glad I run these vehicles. I'm one of the many who are hard on their vehicles.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #1112
Tech Regular

Chumangii , the only things I would suggest are the cnc servo saver top piece and center diff insert. The truck is very durable out of the box.

Rossii,I forgot to tell you that I aslo don run sway bars on my truck with that shock setup I posted.
indaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #1113
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumanji View Post
Just wondering. Do any of you upgrade any of the 8T's plastic parts into alminium? Is it worth it? If you did, what part did you upgrade and is there is any performance differences? I was thinking of changing the spindles and the brace (upper, front and rear).
Hey chumanji.

don't bother with the ali braces or top plate you don't need them,
but there are a few things you should look into as prevantative wrenching

#1. rear aliminium bearing inserts part# losa4430

#2. ali servo saver top #losa4441

#3. centre diff front bearing insert #losa4442

#4. An ali servo horn for the steering as the plastic insert strips easily

#5. King Heads 7075 or dynamite long life clutch shoes

hope this helps

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #1114
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I gotta change my shopping list a bit.
chumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #1115
Tech Apprentice

just finished up the last few details and cant wait to run my new 8T! what fuel are yall running?

mcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #1116
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default bearing inserts?

I'm not sure of the significance of adding the aluminum bearing inserts. I've got at least a couple gallons through my 8T and still got the originals. Any input on these?
I have went through some serious clutch shoes though. I need to try the long life ones.

Matthew
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #1117
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default losi lipo receiver battery

What kind of connector is on the charge/balance lead on this battery? has anyone changed it? and where did you mount the voltage regulator? some pics would be great. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Losi Truggy-losb9820.jpg  
nitroveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #1118
Tech Apprentice

Just ordered an 8ight T roller! I need to get some servo's worthy of this truggy...

Does anyone have any experience with Futaba brushless servo's??

FUTBLS351 Futaba Servo-Digital BLS351 Hi-Speed Brushless, 210 oz, .13 sec. 149.95 In Stock
FUTBLS451 Futaba Servo-Digital BLS451 Hi-Speed Brushless, 147 oz, .10 sec. 99.95 In Stock

The 351 for steering, and the 451 for throttle/brake duty???

Thanks for any input!!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #1119
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcheck View Post
just finished up the last few details and cant wait to run my new 8T! what fuel are yall running?

Good Job. And welcome to truggy racing. LOL. I use Byrons just because it's available. I'm happy with it. Our LHS's are going to start carrying the Gen 2 Byrons only. so we'll see how that goes. I'm not too worried though. Most of the fuels out today are great. Shouldn't have any problems caused by fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I'm not sure of the significance of adding the aluminum bearing inserts. I've got at least a couple gallons through my 8T and still got the originals. Any input on these?
I have went through some serious clutch shoes though. I need to try the long life ones.

Matthew
I used the plastic inserts on my Losi buggy for 10 gallons. I wasn't worried about it on my T but I put them in anyways. I have seen a one of the inserts rotate in the diff housing. But I don't know if it was put in correct to begin with. With regular maintenance and cleaning you should catch this before it becomes an issue. The only problem on my buggy was the plastic had loosened up a little and the bearing was moving around slightly. That's why I put the aluminum inserts in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroveins View Post
What kind of connector is on the charge/balance lead on this battery? has anyone changed it? and where did you mount the voltage regulator? some pics would be great. thanks
I believe these are called JST connectors. Many online stores carry them. I usually switch them over to a regular JR/AIR reciever plug. But there is a possibility of plugging something in wrong. To set yourself up safely, make up an adapter for your charger and one that can plug in to the RX or on/off switch if you use one. If I find some time tonight I can post up pics of my regulator setup. On the truggy tray I moved my on/off switch to the outside of the tray. This opened up some room to put in the regulator and all the wiring. But on the buggy I got everything to fit. Go figure. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookiman View Post
Just ordered an 8ight T roller! I need to get some servo's worthy of this truggy...

Does anyone have any experience with Futaba brushless servo's??

FUTBLS351 Futaba Servo-Digital BLS351 Hi-Speed Brushless, 210 oz, .13 sec. 149.95 In Stock
FUTBLS451 Futaba Servo-Digital BLS451 Hi-Speed Brushless, 147 oz, .10 sec. 99.95 In Stock

The 351 for steering, and the 451 for throttle/brake duty???

Thanks for any input!!!!
No reason those shouldn't work. Although I think the 451 is plastic geared???? Not for sure on that one. Using metal gears is just a little more insurance. It does not detract from the servo's performance or durability. And sometimes the plastic is perferred. That way the gears go out before the electronics....hopefully. LOL.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #1120
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails
Losi Truggy-loschashi.jpg  
gearheadz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #1121
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadz80 View Post

little late on that 1...that was out late last week.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #1122
Tech Apprentice

what are the main differences between that chassis and the race roller? is it necessary to change it?
mcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #1123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcheck View Post
what are the main differences between that chassis and the race roller? is it necessary to change it?
that one will flex more.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #1124
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
that one will flex more.
i thought that flexible chassis is for the 8buggy not for truggy ?
perhaps they have it for both buggy and truggy?

by the way any news bout new 8buggy chassis kit? heard its gona be a
new release by losi...
rossii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #1125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

I use the BL451s for both steering and throttle duties in my buggy. I really like them, but I changed because they were digital, and it made setting up the failsafe with the 3PKS much less of a hassle, and that let me use HRS mode. The servos were faster than my Airtronics 358s, but the Airtronics servos were also 1-2 years old (or older as I bought 2 of the 4 I had used) For throttle in a truggy, the BL451 is great, but I would recommend more torque for steering, perhaps a JR 9100T Even the JR9100S should be enough torque. The BL351 should also be an excellent servo. There really is not much to say about a good servo except for the already stated: its good.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote