R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM   #946
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I plan on making a trip to the Silver State race in March. Anyone know if the Stock Losi Truggy tires work there? Or should I just bring some Holeshots and be done with it?

I got 99 problems, but a b!#ch ain't one!
Geo Y-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #947
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well I just redid some stuff on my truggy.

old setup...
- 2 carbon shoes, 2 blue aluminum shoes with blue aluminum flywheel. Gold springs. 13t bell.
- ?? shock oil front and rear, white front springs with gray rear springs.
- unsure of diff fluids, rear cup was notched like crazy so I replaced it

new setup...
- 2 carbon shoes, 2 m2c ultra lite shoes, 2 gold and 2 black shoes with black steel flywheel. 14t bell.
- 50wt front oil with white springs, 30 weight rear oil with gray springs.
- 7k front fluid, 30k center fluid, 3k rear fluid.

Black sway bars front and rear, unsure of the sizes of them though...

Overall...I've changed what I felt needed to be changed and it's changed in such a way that I like the way it drives better. It doesn't need 50% throttle in order for the clutch to engage anymore...it's down to more like 10% throttle before it engages. The shocks felt empty and the fluid was NASTY...so I just changed them to what I had available to me, we'll see how I like it after taking it to the track a few times. 10k center diff fluid wasn't enough and 30k is a bit too much, I'm going to mix half 30 and half 10 next time I redo the center diff...(after the next race, the cup is starting to get notched).

So far from driving it in my front yard and on the street it behaves a lot better and I like how it feels. I really can't wait to get out on the track again. It's muddy as all hell but I might have to take it out tomorrow to play a little bit.

The rest of my setup...Go .28, dynamite 086, ace 1015/1313 servos. Will have a LiPo receiver pack soon and probably a Fioroni sliding clutch once the current clutch bell bearings are done. Otherwise I love it, seems like a very solid truck that performs well. I have nothing to compare it to but...so far it's been great to me.
revo_race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #948
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

WOW! 30k in the center diff huh? Do you race on a high traction track? Sounds like you made a lot of changes. I'll be anxious to see how you like it on the track. I wish we had racing all week long so I could try more stuff on mine, but I have to wait.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #949
Tech Regular

It hooks up great when it's watered down or wet after the rain with the tires I have...I haven't tried any really small pin tires yet when it's dry though, but apparently the holeshots hook like glue according to the guys that use them here. The track conditions are always changing though...so it really depends on your setup as to how good you're going to hook up.

As far as the 30k center diff fluid goes...with this Go Tech .28 engine I have the front tires were just ballooning TOO Much. I've had many people tell me that ballooning is good...and although I don't disagree, they still balloon with the 30k fluid just not as much as they did before. All I'm saying is that it was out of control before and I did not like the way the truck was driving. It was almost front wheel drive. I feel like it just squats and plants and takes off now rather than getting squirrely like it did before. I still think the 30k might be a bit too much so like I said...I'll end up mixing half and half with the 10k and 30k so I guess that'll end up being somewhere around a 20k fluid when I'm done with it. I'm not going to be exact, just eyeball it.

As far as the shock fluids go...according to the drake setup sheet on losi.com, he's using 27.5 weight oil with gray springs in the rear. I simply preloaded the shocks a little bit and used 30 weight instead since that's all I had available to me. Up front he was using the black springs with 42.5 weight oil. My white springs are a tad stiffer than the black springs, so I bumped up to 50 weight oil instead of the 42.5. For a bumpy track this might be too much dampening but...we'll see how it goes. I might end up buying something lighter within the next few weeks or so once I get it on the track and figure out how it's working as-is.

I don't know what to do about the sway bars yet, I think the black ones I have are probably the 2.3mm because the only thicker ones I have are silver(but I also have some silver sways that are thinner). I might keep the black rear on and put the thicker silver front one on. I'm assuming the thickest sway bar available is 2.7mm?

As far as tires go, I'm using GRP Cubics on the Losi rims for dry conditions. When it's wet or loose, I've got a set of Crime Fighter MT's on 1/2" offset velocity rims and also have a set of Bow Tie MT's on 1/2" offset velocity rims. I might get a set of LPR Crime Fighters on 1/2" offset LPR velocity rims as they seem to be the best all around tire on this track.(the Cubics look like they'll be perfect though...haven't had the chance to try them yet).

Anyway, like I said the truggy has been absolutely awesome to own and drive ever since I picked it up from a friend about a month or so ago. I've put about a gallon of fuel through it and then decided to re-do everything. Based on driving around my front yard alone I think I already like how I set it up now better than how it was before, and at least now I KNOW where things stand so I can change it accordingly next time. I'm hoping I won't have to redo this stuff after EVERY gallon...roughly how often do you guys need to change stuff for preventative maintenance? I understand changing it often for the sake of change, but things like the diff cups notching...is that going to happen every gallon? My clutch bell bearings are on their way out for sure but I'm going to keep using them for a little while longer.

Has anyone ever used 14/47 gearing with a powerful .28 engine? It's just got SO much torque it's unreal. I was at 13/48, now 14/48, might get a new 47 spur to try out depending on how I can accelerate out of corners at the track with the new 14/48 gearing. The 13/48 worked good but I think I can use a little more gear especially with the clutch not slipping as badly as it was. If I still have absolutely no problems accelerating out of corners and up to big jumps out of tight corners with the 14/48 I'll definitely try the 47 spur to see what happens. Smaller/less weight, slightly higher gear ratio.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #950
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well, it's cool that you're trying stuff. That's great. On the diff fluid mixing, there are conversion sites to figure out where you'd end up. I think using half with the 30k will put you closer to the 30k than 20k. I understand trying to dilute the 30k but search on-line for a site that gives you a chart for mixing fluids. you'll be surprised at the outcome.

Around here we try to get the owners to NOT water the track. The vehicles drive much better under loose conditions. But all the rookie drivers like the water cause it provides traction. Most drivers like the track to be loose so the vehicles can slide and move around. Watering makes the tracks too much like an indoor track. That's for around these parts though.

I don't do much preventative maintenance. About once a month I go through the truck and check things over, replace diff fluid, and shock oil. Seems like once a month is too often though. The fluids always come out perfectly clear. And I mean CLEAR. But this way at least I don't have to worry about it.

Glad to hear you're liking the truck. I love mine also. Can't wait for the summer run season.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #951
Tech Regular

What engine are you using in your truggy? How often have you replaced the diff cups? And I didn't know until today but Losi makes a 20k diff fluid so that's what I'm going to buy rather than mixing the 30k and 10k that I already own. They also offer a 15k. I searched on towerhobbies but the only stuff I could find was 10 or 30, nothing inbetween. (It was just a quick search). But towerhobbies doesn't carry Losi so that makes sense. So tomorrow I'll be going to the LHS to order a few things.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #952
Tech Regular

Why use towerhobbies when there is A-main or Losi parts house??? they have everything you will ever need.
BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #953
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOST View Post
Why use towerhobbies when there is A-main or Losi parts house??? they have everything you will ever need.
I simply used towerhobbies.com to do a quick search for something between 10k and 30k but found nothing. If they had it I would have given the part number to my local hobby store. I prefer to support the local hobby store when I buy stuff. They can get parts in stock for me just as fast as I can order them online and generally if they aren't at MAP pricing, they are close enough that I'm not going to complain. If they go under, so does the local track I plan on racing at all season. I'll do my part to make sure that doesn't happen if at all possible. Amain or losi parts house have absolutely nothing to offer me in comparison to an awesome track right down the street.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #954
Tech Regular

OK then fair enough! I haven't got that where I am so I do 90% of my shopping online.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #955
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOST View Post
OK then fair enough! I haven't got that where I am so I do 90% of my shopping online.
Ya, if I didn't have a good local hobby store with such an awesome owner that had a killer track near my house I probably would do the majority of my shopping online as well simply to save money. But anyway...

On average how long are your diff cups lasting in these truggies, and what engines are you using? This Go Tech .28 I have is a torquey monster and I think that might be part of my problem. Also how often do you replace the bushings in the ackerman arm? Mine was pretty sloppy but I replaced the bushings and it's a little better. I also replaced the end links on the other end of the turnbuckle(at the spindles) with a longer bolt and a locknut instead of that threaded ball going through the end of the turnbuckle. Less play, and it won't pop off.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #956
Tech Regular

I have heard a lot of people going on about driveline wear, I have seen some pics of diff cups with planetery gears twisted. I have had mo such wear there to date, on the B or T. I don't have high end hot mod rb's or Nova's though so maybe it is the shear power and torque of these motors.
What other wear has anyone experienced???
Once again there is nothing on either of mine that has signs of wear or wearing quickly.
I haven't replaced spindles or carriers (front or rear) yet because the plastic ones have taken everything I have thrown at them, same as the front and rear arms. The shock towers are super strong, the camber links are strong and I have never bent one.
To me these vehicles are damn near bullet proof.
I have put aluminum g/box inserts in the rear, alu. bearing adapter in the centre but that is it.....
What are your thoughts???

Last edited by BOOST; 01-03-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #957
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I agree, I run a Novarossi P5X and an 821 but have not had these problems... could be a difference in driving style?.... I'm not real sure
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #958
Tech Regular

What starter box are you fellas using? I'm currently using a Losi box and I'm having all sorts of starting issues today. Someone recommended the Ofna OFN10244 box to me... better choice? I notice that it has dual 775 motors instead of the dual 550 that the Losi has.

Any opinions?
luisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #959
Tech Regular

I use the losi box. I heard that Drake suggested running the motors for 5 mins when you first get it to kinda run them in a bit before thrashing them trying to start your engine. Also oiling the bushings regularly helps.
When I first got my Trinity Drake motor it had a bit of trouble starting it but that motor had extreme pinch (IT WAS TIGHT!!), I just undone the plug a bit turned it over and tightened the plug back up while turning over and that worked. The motor still had a lot of compression but warming it up beforehand helps. I also have a 8T with a TL427 (freshly rebuilt) and it starts that no worries.
If you are smart about how you start them then you will have no problems.
If you just start slamming a new cold motor down on it and burn the motors and get all frustrated then you won't get anywhere!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #960
Tech Regular

Interesting... I just put my Mach 427 into the 8ight T and that motor has approx 3 gallons thru it and the box can't turn it over. I tried loosening the plug and running the motors for a few seconds and then try to start it.... nothing. I just took out the engine and the wheel is not binding on the chassis. I'm also using a 12v cell. I'll give it another try...
luisv is offline   Reply With Quote