R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #541
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
stop by revelation saturday, you can have them for a couple tacos. i will be there all day, practice and race.........all yellow 8ight-t
Carnitas or asada? See you Sat.

Jim
J.Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #542
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Read through this entire thread. On the last page is some Switches that I glued up last night.

http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/in...howtopic=13910
Hugh---Those look awesome. You wrote that they are MT switches. Are the MT the same diameter as MTR? And did you cut/modify the tire beads? Does the sidewall stick out farther than the XTT? Sorry for the ?'s but I'm waiting approval on truggyracers. Thanx
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #543
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Hugh---Those look awesome. You wrote that they are MT switches. Are the MT the same diameter as MTR? And did you cut/modify the tire beads? Does the sidewall stick out farther than the XTT? Sorry for the ?'s but I'm waiting approval on truggyracers. Thanx
Both the Panther and Pro Lines are very,very close in diameter. No cutting involved at all. The sidewall doesn't hang over at all. It takes a little extra effort and finesse,but you just have to stretch the tire,with the foam already in it, over the rim. Put the bead of the tire on the inside lip of the rim. Then glue the sidewall to the outside edge of the tire. You can use some rubber bands to hold it down until the glue dries. I always use thin glue that gets into the cracks real well. The thin glue works itself around the edge. I also scuff the outside lip of the rim and the sidewall of the tire with some sandpaper. I did a set of Gators like this,too,and they look awesome. I'll be running those this weekend. Pics of the Gators are posted on the link in my first post.

Last edited by Hugh; 08-02-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #544
Tech Champion

Hugh--the tires look good. Can't wait for your results. Signed up at truggyracers a few days ago and awaiting approval.

Did you balance these tires, or do you just run'em like they are? Got my first set of truggy tires to glue. I've glued a lot of buggy tires so no biggie. For my tracks I'm trying the Holeshots. Also have crimefighters to try. Can't wait for next weekend.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #545
Tech Champion

The PL holeshots mount up very well to the losi wheels. Didn't have to trim the bead, it fit nicely. They are a little tough to stretch over the wheel, but I'm happy. I get to test on saturday.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #546
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Air8, you gonna make it to RC Pro round 3 in Texas?
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #547
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallmarine View Post
Air8, you gonna make it to RC Pro round 3 in Texas?
Hell yeah buddy, I plan to attend.

The little bit I used the PL holeshots they worked great. But the track got watered too much. So I stuck with the stock XTT tires. But before watering started I used the H/S and the truck felt good. For the mains there were 11 other people using the XTT's. Mostly cause they didn't have anything else to use. Tires are expensive for truggy. For a lot of people they would have to work a day to pay for a set of wheels and tires. My next to try will be Panther Gators or PL crimefighters. I'm happy about not having to modify the tires to fit.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #548
Tech Elite

Bro, Im only guessing it's going to be a hell of a weekend!!! I better get room insurance.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #549
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

has anyone had trouble with the steering rods popping off? ran mine in its first
race yesterday had third then someone coming down the strait backwards
hit me knocking it off! still got fourth thanks to the pit man.
reddishdsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #550
Tech Regular

For ths steering ballcup popping off...run the shiny side of the ballcup up. Around the hole in the ballcup where the ball stud goes through, one side will be shiny, the other will not. Then if you buy, or have a spare, aluminum inner steering ball stud (the bump-up/down one) you can put that stud in the spindle ballcup in the "bump-up" position to keep it's height/bump-steer the same...then use one of the 5-40" flat head screws to thread it together. The head should keep it from popping off.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #551
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlobbaTech View Post
For ths steering ballcup popping off...run the shiny side of the ballcup up. Around the hole in the ballcup where the ball stud goes through, one side will be shiny, the other will not. Then if you buy, or have a spare, aluminum inner steering ball stud (the bump-up/down one) you can put that stud in the spindle ballcup in the "bump-up" position to keep it's height/bump-steer the same...then use one of the 5-40" flat head screws to thread it together. The head should keep it from popping off.
Yep, i did this also before running it. I used a cap head screw and a washer so the rod end couldn't pass the screw head. Just be ready for other parts of the truck to break if you have a bad crash. Read back through the pages and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #552
Tech Elite

Anyone beside's me using weight's on the rear of the truggy.?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #553
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallmarine View Post
Bro, Im only guessing it's going to be a hell of a weekend!!! I better get room insurance.
It's going to be intimidating driving the T so soon at a big race. I had a good night with it Saturday night. Took fourth in the main after my front right wheel passed my truggy at the back of the track after a high speed 90ft. long sweeper. Couldn't believe it. I stood in shock for a second a then laughed. But then realized I was in 2nd place and said "OOOOhhhh SH&%!! So off the drivers stand, out the fence to my truck, grab a nut off my buggy, run back to the track, put on the nut with 5 min. to go, and ended up 4th out of 12. It was crazy. LOL. Won't forget the lock tite next time.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #554
Tech Apprentice

A side note on mounting tires on Losi Rims, one benefit to removing the entire bead is that you lighten the tire carcass substantially. That being said, the Panther Gator and the Werks Lugs/Stubs are by far the lightest Truggy tire you can mount. Meanwhile, since the sidewall is reduced, the tires corner sharper and don't balloon, even without the heavy ribbing Proline has in thier MTRs. This is the direction of Truggy tires on all but the roughest surfaces, where I could see a normal rim being easier to drive for the average Joe. Almost every driver in the Truggy A main in last Months Manufacturer's Cup race has low-pro tires on thier rides. This is the future, even GRP has developed a larger diameter rim. It is a huge advantage, and I know that MT Gator Softs bead cut, on Losi Rims, with std open cell foam is about 40% less weight than a Proline MTR with molded foam. Thats a ton of rotating mass removed! Then factor in that the open cell tires need far less balancing putty than molded foams (molded are inconsistant from foam to foam and throughout the foams themselves) and you have tires potentially weighing half as much. THATS HUGE.

Only downside is the additional time involved in mounting.
Themajorhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #555
Tech Champion

I did add putty to the Holeshots and also to the stock XTT that came with the roller. I didn't know the foams were inconsistent like that. Figured it was the tires being out of round. It's easy to balance tires, I balanced the truggy tires and went back and balanced the buggy tires and my T-4 tires. There is a difference.